Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith and 45 guests

Uncompromising Honor chatter

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor chatter
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:20 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:The Solarians found the Alignment's nanotech and the more competent Manticoran medical establishment hasn't? I wonder if it will be included in the SLN's intact databanks.

The Manticorans haven't had any examples to study after they realized what they were looking for. The Solarians had a whole bunch of fresh stuff from their strategy of arresting people to see if they died.

While it doesn't appear in the book I think the GA will likewise find it by similar means.
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:07 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

cthia wrote:The Solarians found the Alignment's nanotech and the more competent Manticoran medical establishment hasn't? I wonder if it will be included in the SLN's intact databanks.

How do we know that the Manticoran medical establishment is more competent than Earth's? I assume a good number of physicians on Earth were trained on Beowulf.
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Peregrinator wrote:How do we know that the Manticoran medical establishment is more competent than Earth's? I assume a good number of physicians on Earth were trained on Beowulf.

So, to cite just one example (not including his spouse), Alfred Harrington, at last sighting Commodore, MC, RMN, are physicians in the Old SKM. It's even easier to get to the Manticore Binary System than it is to get to Earth.
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:How do we know that the Manticoran medical establishment is more competent than Earth's? I assume a good number of physicians on Earth were trained on Beowulf.

So, to cite just one example (not including his spouse), Alfred Harrington, at last sighting Commodore, MC, RMN, are physicians in the Old SKM. It's even easier to get to the Manticore Binary System than it is to get to Earth.

I certainly think the best geneticists, other than Darius, are in the SKM. And, well, Earth couldn't help itself during the Final Wars. Enter, Beowulf medical establishment.

Of course, to be fair, Earth's medical establishment at the time could have been ravaged. Even so, I'd be willing to bet money on the SKM. I thought there was at least one more opportunity for the SKM. Didn't someone drop dead? Of course, the Solarians knew when someone would drop dead.

At any rate, textev mentions the rate of which MA operatives were being rolled up in the SKM. I assumed by cat intervention, which would lead to them being interrogated, thus dropping dead.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:01 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Speaking of rolling up operatives, anyone else taken aback by the Alignmentt's sheer viciousness towards their own operatives? It shouldn't surprise me, I know, but still. That poor fellow who sent the destruct signal to destroy the first habitat in Beowulf truly had no idea he was committing suicide. But did his signal destroy them all? Which would seem to be unlikely over the distances of the habitats, plus the fact that the bombs were located deeply within the bowels of each habitat. And if there was someone on each habitat sending the signal, then they would have had time to realize that the first idiot blew himself up.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:39 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:Speaking of rolling up operatives, anyone else taken aback by the Alignmentt's sheer viciousness towards their own operatives? It shouldn't surprise me, I know, but still. That poor fellow who sent the destruct signal to destroy the first habitat in Beowulf truly had no idea he was committing suicide. But did his signal destroy them all? Which would seem to be unlikely over the distances of the habitats, plus the fact that the bombs were located deeply within the bowels of each habitat. And if there was someone on each habitat sending the signal, then they would have had time to realize that the first idiot blew himself up.

You have to remember that operative was gamma level at best and not the crème de la crème, therefore completely expendable in the eyes of the Malign leadership.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by tlb   » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:36 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Speaking of rolling up operatives, anyone else taken aback by the Alignmentt's sheer viciousness towards their own operatives? It shouldn't surprise me, I know, but still. That poor fellow who sent the destruct signal to destroy the first habitat in Beowulf truly had no idea he was committing suicide. But did his signal destroy them all? Which would seem to be unlikely over the distances of the habitats, plus the fact that the bombs were located deeply within the bowels of each habitat. And if there was someone on each habitat sending the signal, then they would have had time to realize that the first idiot blew himself up.

George J. Smith wrote:You have to remember that operative was gamma level at best and not the crème de la crème, therefore completely expendable in the eyes of the Malign leadership.

The bombs could have been connected to the Honorverse equivalent of the internet and all set their timers based on the initial coded signal. It does not require direct radio contact with each bomb; just as some bombs today could be triggered by a code sequence sent to an imbedded mobile phone.
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

George J. Smith wrote:You have to remember that operative was gamma level at best and not the crème de la crème, therefore completely expendable in the eyes of the Malign leadership.

The bombs could have been connected to the Honorverse equivalent of the internet and all set their timers based on the initial coded signal. It does not require direct radio contact with each bomb; just as some bombs today could be triggered by a code sequence sent to an imbedded mobile phone.

Brilliant tlb! Because I couldn't explain the specific time intervals of the detonations if carried out by other operatives, who also could have been late getting into place. But then, if the internet was used, why did the operative need to be killed as well after sending the signal? Surely he had the nanotech.

Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:53 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:

You have to remember that operative was gamma level at best and not the crème de la crème, therefore completely expendable in the eyes of the Malign leadership.

There is that, but still. During the rushed Houdini, there was more of the same, but they at least tried to get everyone out, or rather, the original plan included getting everyone out, and at least the remaining Detweilers expressed regret over the failure to do so. But now, in light of their latest shenanigans, I'm not so sure if even that wasn't purely for selfish reasons, like not wanting to deal with the fallout of angering the families of those who did make it out.

The Inner Onion isn't supposed to be reacting out of sheer emotion and grief, going off all half-cocked. The MA's operation at Beowulf was totally unlike them. Albeit, it corroborates my take on them that they're all operating with one major screw loose. I knew they'd react inappropriately to Daddy Daycare's death.

Revenge, sheer childish revenge for their father's death is all they accomplished out of that operation. Yet, revenge against Beowulf's medical establishment is what drives their ultimate motives in the first place. This operation compromises the original plan and its revenge. Because if they are ever discovered, who in their right mind would endorse an uplifted entity who murders wholesale. Or that such an entity can be in any way, shape or form considered to be. . .uplifted.

It certainly seems obvious now, the MA are never planning to come out into the open "as is." Which makes me wonder which planet will represent them as the "New Mesa." At any rate, I question whether any previous centuries long goals -- of sticking a thumb in the eye of the Beowulf's Medical Establishment by making its decisions appear to be wrong -- are still on the front burner. Because the MA's latest string of atrocities makes them look like a bunch of super murderous miscreants. Which goes to show that no one can do God's work of creating life. Somewhere you'll miss something and leave an all important screw, not only loose, but completely out of the design. A governor -- like, I dunno. . .compassion, maybe? What the MA have managed to do is simply create an army of Frankensteins.

Post by tlb   » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:00 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It certainly seems obvious now, the MA are never planning to come out into the open "as is." Which makes me wonder which planet will represent them as the "New Mesa".

That is why they created the Renaissance Factor (Faction?).

Return to Honorverse