Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

Junction forts and Ultima Thule

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Junction forts and Ultima Thule
Post by zuluwiz   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:45 am

zuluwiz
Commander

I have to wonder what the effect of that much mass would have on the wormholes. If there is enough mass to affect hypering, would there be enough to move the wormhole exits around? Or prevent their use entirely? Hmmm..........
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

zuluwiz wrote:I have to wonder what the effect of that much mass would have on the wormholes. If there is enough mass to affect hypering, would there be enough to move the wormhole exits around? Or prevent their use entirely? Hmmm..........

Your not taking a fort though a wormhole. It isn't built with the engines for that. They are also too big....way too big....as we have learned from things like Talbot terminus, they shiped them thorugh in component sections and assembled them there. And you sure don't want to just ship a lot of raw rock like that as part of a dissasembled fort.
Post by tlb   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:02 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

zuluwiz wrote:I have to wonder what the effect of that much mass would have on the wormholes. If there is enough mass to affect hypering, would there be enough to move the wormhole exits around? Or prevent their use entirely? Hmmm..........

Brigade XO wrote:Your not taking a fort though a wormhole. It isn't built with the engines for that. They are also too big....way too big....as we have learned from things like Talbot terminus, they shiped them thorugh in component sections and assembled them there. And you sure don't want to just ship a lot of raw rock like that as part of a dissasembled fort.

I think the question posed is whether moving the mass of a moonlet NEAR a wormhole would affect its behavior.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:

Your not taking a fort though a wormhole. ...

I don't thin zw was talking about going through the WHJ, but the effect of something big enough to have its own hyper-limit next to an astrographic feature that requires a hyper-generator to transit.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Kurremkarmerruk wrote:We know from textev that gas giants have hyper limits due to gravitational distortion, but what is the hyper limit of, say, a 100km diameter moonlet?
I'm too lazy right now to work out a formula that fits the mass to hyper-limit curve from the posted information, but even if it's solid rock a 100km Kuiper Belt object is going to mass around 10^18 kg while the smallest object I know of a hyper limit number for is Uriel (Yeltsin IV) a superjupiter with a 5 lm hyper limit. That has to weight in over 10^27 kg.

Hyper limits don't scale linearly with mass but still an object over 1 trillion times smaller that Uriel probably has a hyper limit measured in, at most, km (and darn few of them). It certainly has a smaller hyper limit than the Junction itself does, and that's not large enough to keep ships from dropping out of hyper within attack range. You'd need a very large number of them, placed in shells around the Junction, to significantly expand the existing hyper limit around the Junction.

Return to Honorverse