Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

Enemies of the Alignment

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Enemies of the Alignment
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Wasn't Grand National Strategist cemented with The Harrington Plan?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by drothgery   » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:10 pm

drothgery
Admiral

If Damien Harhap (aka Firebrand) isn't on the list yet, it seems very likely he will be soon.
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:58 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

drothgery wrote:If Damien Harhap (aka Firebrand) isn't on the list yet, it seems very likely he will be soon.

I think we can add a whole lot of people on Beowulf to that group.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Right now the entire fricking galaxy should be against a bunch of stark raving mad lunatics brainwashing people. All except their partners in crime. Even Mesa should be against them for using them as patsies then stabbing them in the back.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:05 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Wasn't Grand National Strategist cemented with The Harrington Plan?

The Harrington Plan was Campaign Strategy; besides, I believe that Thomas Theisman was thinking along the same lines, see chapter 33 of _Mission of Honor_.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:20 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Right now the entire fricking galaxy should be against a bunch of stark raving mad lunatics brainwashing people. All except their partners in crime. Even Mesa should be against them for using them as patsies then stabbing them in the back.

The idea of human improvement with eventual human perfection is a dream that has already lead to an enormous number of deaths.
Post by aairfccha   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:48 pm

aairfccha
Commander

ldwechsler wrote:The idea of human improvement with eventual human perfection is a dream that has already lead to an enormous number of deaths.

Well then shoo, back up the trees with you.
Post by tlb   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:32 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:The idea of human improvement with eventual human perfection is a dream that has already lead to an enormous number of deaths.

aairfccha wrote:Well then shoo, back up the trees with you.

I choose to assume that he was referring to the sort of improvements that a small group fixates on and attempts to impose upon the rest of humanity: such as eugenics (including the Mesan genetic uplift) or hair-brained economic systems.
Post by filbert   » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

Daud al-Fanudahi.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:54 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

tlb wrote:

aairfccha wrote:Well then shoo, back up the trees with you.

I choose to assume that he was referring to the sort of improvements that a small group fixates on and attempts to impose upon the rest of humanity: such as eugenics (including the Mesan genetic uplift) or hair-brained economic systems.

Note that both Hitler and Stalin had their own genetics program to create supermen. But I was referring to all of those beliefs that believe that we can somehow create a perfect solution for government.

Perfection is a dangerous goal since people are not perfect. And leaders somehow wind up getting richer and more powerful and don't want to give it up. In the books note that the Detweilers live very well indeed. I think there are at least seven kids as well and they have kids. And in UH, there was discussion of buying a pony, etc.

Thandi never had things like that growing up and neither did a huge percentage of the population of the League.

Return to Honorverse