Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by dvdscar   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:12 pm

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:42 pm

From Eric Flint's Facebook page today:

======================================

I have now started working on the next Honorverse novel I'm co-authoring with David Weber. We are at the initial stage we always go through when we start a novel -- of which we have now written five together, two in my 1632 universe and three in David's Honorverse.

I think of this stage as the Nursery. This has two connotations. One is benign: this is the stage at which the story idea comes into existence. The other is, ah, grouchier. This is the stage at which the clear-headed and forthright partner in the collaboration -- that's me -- has to wrangle with the obsessive-compulsive anal-retentive fussbudget who is driven by an ultimately futile quest for background perfection to insist that every miserable goddam little plot twist has to be reconcilable in every respect with the ontological essence of the insanely complex nail-down-every-minutia setting he dreamed up over a period of way, way too many years when he could have been doing something practical and useful like washing dishes.

(Clears the throat.) In fairness, I suspect David has harbored similar thoughts when he's worked with me in the 1632 universe.

So. Back to the Nursery, where I currently have to contend with the stubborn one who is insisting that we have to develop a story line wherein two of Our Heroes -- actually, one hero; one heroine -- plot to overthrow the Wicked Establishment even though the evil ones have made sure that all their subjects are implanted with nanotech that causes them to commit suicide whenever they fall afoul of said evil ones or just find themselves in a bad spot where their continued existence might discomfit the evil ones.

Yes, we'll figure it out. Medieval theologians would be aghast at our tortured logic and dumbfounded by our devotion to the oxymoron called "true fiction."
Top
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:28 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:48 am
Location: Ross-on-Wye UK

dvdscar wrote:From Eric Flint's Facebook page today:

======================================

Snip...
So. Back to the Nursery, where I currently have to contend with the stubborn one who is insisting that we have to develop a story line wherein two of Our Heroes -- actually, one hero; one heroine -- plot to overthrow the Wicked Establishment even though the evil ones have made sure that all their subjects are implanted with nanotech that causes them to commit suicide whenever they fall afoul of said evil ones or just find themselves in a bad spot where their continued existence might discomfit the evil ones.

Yes, we'll figure it out. Medieval theologians would be aghast at our tortured logic and dumbfounded by our devotion to the oxymoron called "true fiction."


Alison immediately comes to mind
.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Top
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:37 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4438
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm
Location: "Lost Wages", NV

George J. Smith wrote:Alison immediately comes to mind


Strange, I immediately thought of Victor and Thandi -- you kno since they were the protagonists of the last book and Victor has been the main protagonist in all of the previous Torch series.
.
.
.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Top
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:18 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1833
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona

George J. Smith wrote:Alison immediately comes to mind

Weird Harold wrote:Strange, I immediately thought of Victor and Thandi -- you kno since they were the protagonists of the last book and Victor has been the main protagonist in all of the previous Torch series.

Actually, the ones that came to my mind were Zach and Gail - that was an extensive subplot that apparently went nowhere, and they would be individuals who had the nano-tech, which Victor and Thandi don't
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Top
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Fox2!
Captain of the List

Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:34 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:Strange, I immediately thought of Victor and Thandi -- you kno since they were the protagonists of the last book and Victor has been the main protagonist in all of the previous Torch series.

Actually, the ones that came to my mind were Zach and Gail - that was an extensive subplot that apparently went nowhere, and they would be individuals who had the nano-tech, which Victor and Thandi don't


Zach and Gail sound much more likely. Of course, it might all be smoke and mirrors and misdirection. "Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat" reaches into hat, and pulls out a peak bear. "Wrong hat"

(apologies to Moose and Squirrel)
Top
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by Fireflair   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:15 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:23 pm

My thought was that it would be Honor's children he was speaking of initially but then I thought it might be a pair of the people who were hustled off to Darius without their family or friends.
Top
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:35 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1235
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

Fireflair wrote:My thought was that it would be Honor's children he was speaking of initially but then I thought it might be a pair of the people who were hustled off to Darius without their family or friends.


I thing Victor and Thandi are a better choice. Gail was a NAVAL expert, not a likely position to be involved in betrayal of her sponsors.

Also, we know that there is going to be another arc about a generation later. If Gail got out a message about the location of Darius, ASSUMING SHE WOULD EVEN KNOW IT, things would get nasty immediately.

Therefore, it is more likely to be Victor and Thandi...although it could be that Zach and Gail start a resistance movement. However, that would not be all that likely and are we ready to dub Gail a heroine based on what we know?
Top
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:44 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1833
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona

ldwechsler wrote:
Fireflair wrote:My thought was that it would be Honor's children he was speaking of initially but then I thought it might be a pair of the people who were hustled off to Darius without their family or friends.


I thing Victor and Thandi are a better choice. Gail was a NAVAL expert, not a likely position to be involved in betrayal of her sponsors.

Also, we know that there is going to be another arc about a generation later. If Gail got out a message about the location of Darius, ASSUMING SHE WOULD EVEN KNOW IT, things would get nasty immediately.

Therefore, it is more likely to be Victor and Thandi...although it could be that Zach and Gail start a resistance movement. However, that would not be all that likely and are we ready to dub Gail a heroine based on what we know?

She was indeed a naval expert, but if she comes to realize the extent to which the Malign covered up the disappearances on Mesa, it could well drive her (and Zach) into open (or covert) rebellion. it is apparent from textev that Jack McBride had not had his conscience amputated, and Zach appears to be cut from the same cloth.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Top
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by Peregrinator   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Peregrinator
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 pm

I hope to hear more about Zach McBryde and Gail, but I think the chance of their being the heroes of the story are small. That ship sailed when they landed on Darius. I would find it hard to believe that the Alignment would ever allow them to leave Darius, and if they became suddenly inconvenient to the Alignment, their nanotech would kill them.
Top
Re: Sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts - sort of spoilers, maybe
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1384
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm
Location: Scotland

Peregrinator wrote:I hope to hear more about Zach McBryde and Gail, but I think the chance of their being the heroes of the story are small. That ship sailed when they landed on Darius. I would find it hard to believe that the Alignment would ever allow them to leave Darius, and if they became suddenly inconvenient to the Alignment, their nanotech would kill them.


Which is the very problem Eric and RFC are trying to find a way round. :twisted: Based on the previous books it is much more likely to be Victor and Thandi. But I immediately thought of Zach and Gail as well, and it would be an interesting new twist. The long sub-plot about them didn't seem to warrant the space it got, but then I suppose that could be said of quite a lot of Honorverse sub-plots in recent years (Ducks reflexively).
Top

Return to Honorverse