Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

What's next for the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's next for the Honorverse
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:35 am

Dauntless
Commodore

i've always believed that the griping about the Harrington's being a lost Star line was simply a way to try and "lessen" the anger.

Getting kicked by a "lost" line was somewhat less galling then losing to a "non improved" bloodline.

in other words they were lying to themselves to make them feel better about getting their asses kicked. of course that excuse only worked for honor and did nothing about all their setbacks when they lost to any other manty, like gold peak, terekov or zilwicki.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:i've always believed that the griping about the Harrington's being a lost Star line was simply a way to try and "lessen" the anger.

Getting kicked by a "lost" line was somewhat less galling then losing to a "non improved" bloodline.

in other words they were lying to themselves to make them feel better about getting their asses kicked. of course that excuse only worked for honor and did nothing about all their setbacks when they lost to any other manty, like gold peak, terekov or zilwicki.

Good eye Dauntless, and it seems obviously the case, human nature being what it is. But speaking from certain readers' POV, it does little to float our boats.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
tlb wrote:The basic Meyerdahl modifications may predate the Final War, but there is nothing to prevent Mesan scientists from giving it their own little twist. The question about whether the changes would be noticeable is a good one, RFC might answer if there is a follow up short story. A counter question is why would the scientists talk about a line that got away, if there was no modification? If the talk is just hot air, then I would prefer that it not appear in the book.

could be one of rfc's (in)famous red herrings

If it is a red herring, I feel about it as the SLN does about the Manties' damn "big-assed" battlecruisers, it's more of a whale than a herring!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse