Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 44 guests

What's next for the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's next for the Honorverse
Post by pnakasone   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:47 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

Maybe some short stories of the Treecats integrating themselves in to the society of Manticore. The first Treecat in Parliament as a member would an be interesting story.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:43 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

pnakasone wrote:Maybe some short stories of the Treecats integrating themselves in to the society of Manticore. The first Treecat in Parliament as a member would an be interesting story.

I have to jump in with a treecat name of <Speaks for the People>
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by pushmar   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:50 pm

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

I have to jump in with a treecat name of <Speaks for the People>

Or, to follow Larry Niven's character, "Speaker to Animals"
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hrsegrrl wrote:One thing I'd love to see is more complete astrographic mapping of the Honorverse, whether it comes in chunks that can be stitched together or a single large work. Maybe a separate depiction of the wormhole network that places systems in relation to where their bridges or junctions go instead of physical location?

And given the hints in Uncompromising Honor, I suspect one of the next chronological events will be Raoul and Katherine getting adopted by treecats, and/or what effects may arise with Honor being surrogate for Hamish and Emily's second child. No doubt there will be additional kids for Honor and Hamish, too. For me, learning that the Harringtons were a lost Mesan-designed lineage was at least as hilarious as Harahap being adopted. Wonder if Honor will ever know that tidbit?

Hilarious, ironic, and oh so frightening.

I keep thinking of the two old adages, "It takes one to know one" and "It takes one to defeat one."

Frightening, because it implies the Alignment's genetic lines are indeed very capable if the Salamander is any yardstick. And if there really are as many success stories in the MAN on the level of an Honor Harrington, the Manticoran descendants who inherit storyline will be way outnumbered.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Hrsegrrl wrote: For me, learning that the Harringtons were a lost Mesan-designed lineage was at least as hilarious as Harahap being adopted. Wonder if Honor will ever know that tidbit?

Personally I found that disappointing: it would have been a good thing to have the Mesan Alignment lose an important part of their centuries long plan to a person outside of their scope and it is a lesser thing for that person to be one of their "star" lines. That means the original point of their plan wins anyway, because the genetic improvements that they wanted have still come out on top. The only reason that I can see for RFC to have written that in is that it will be a plot point in some future story.

I concur with the disappointment factor. It has always warmed the cockles of my heart that the Alignment were being undone by someone who isn't one of them. It is a big letdown that Honor is actually a chip off the old block of misaligned genetic tampering. It's as if that fact goes to prove the validity of all of the Alignment's claims. At first light, I asked myself if the author was insane to pen that and what the hell is he thinking, but then I have to wonder what the hell is he thinking. Which implies that he may have yet another curve ball to straighten out that curve. Trust the driver if he has already demonstrated he didn't forge his license.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Couldn't RFC simply have a holiday? Take a cruise, visit Venice, Dubrovnik, and similar places to recharge. No hurry, come back to lead the charge again afterwards.

At the risk of sounding like an opportunist, not to mention the inspiration that oftentimes can be derived from visiting such places.

Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:14 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
(Re: Harrington Star Line)

I concur with the disappointment factor. It has always warmed the cockles of my heart that the Alignment were being undone by someone who isn't one of them. It is a big letdown that Honor is actually a chip off the old block of misaligned genetic tampering. It's as if that fact goes to prove the validity of all of the Alignment's claims. At first light, I asked myself if the author was insane to pen that and what the hell is he thinking, but then I have to wonder what the hell is he thinking. Which implies that he may have yet another curve ball to straighten out that curve. Trust the driver if he has already demonstrated he didn't forge his license.

I think it is a case of where a well-established genetic enhancement lineage slipped out of their grasp. As I have said before, the Meyerdahl mods were created centuries before Earth's Final War (let alone the founding of Mesa). There is no reason to believe that Honor and her father inherited anything done by a Mesan gene-hacker (to begin, how would Allison had not noticed it).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by tlb   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:40 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:(Re: Harrington Star Line)

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I think it is a case of where a well-established genetic enhancement lineage slipped out of their grasp. As I have said before, the Meyerdahl mods were created centuries before Earth's Final War (let alone the founding of Mesa). There is no reason to believe that Honor and her father inherited anything done by a Mesan gene-hacker (to begin, how would Allison had not noticed it).

The basic Meyerdahl modifications may predate the Final War, but there is nothing to prevent Mesan scientists from giving it their own little twist. The question about whether the changes would be noticeable is a good one, RFC might answer if there is a follow up short story. A counter question is why would the scientists talk about a line that got away, if there was no modification? If the talk is just hot air, then I would prefer that it not appear in the book.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:(Re: Harrington Star Line)

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I think it is a case of where a well-established genetic enhancement lineage slipped out of their grasp. As I have said before, the Meyerdahl mods were created centuries before Earth's Final War (let alone the founding of Mesa). There is no reason to believe that Honor and her father inherited anything done by a Mesan gene-hacker (to begin, how would Allison had not noticed it).

The basic Meyerdahl modifications may predate the Final War, but there is nothing to prevent Mesan scientists from giving it their own little twist. The question about whether the changes would be noticeable is a good one, RFC might answer if there is a follow up short story. A counter question is why would the scientists talk about a line that got away, if there was no modification? If the talk is just hot air, then I would prefer that it not appear in the book.

Well -- as explained by storyline in UH -- it makes sense that the MA wouldn't have time to approach all of the families who are products of their genetics before said families were way beyond coaxing, or attempting to safely coax, into the fold. Genetics or no, it is impossible to control how any line, especially one next to perfect, would ultimately aspire -- politically as well as in its morals, scruples and values. And they might not know right off the bat that the Harrington "line" was one of their greatest accomplishments until much too late.

Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:32 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

tlb wrote:The basic Meyerdahl modifications may predate the Final War, but there is nothing to prevent Mesan scientists from giving it their own little twist. The question about whether the changes would be noticeable is a good one, RFC might answer if there is a follow up short story. A counter question is why would the scientists talk about a line that got away, if there was no modification? If the talk is just hot air, then I would prefer that it not appear in the book.

could be one of rfc's (in)famous red herrings
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse