Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

What's next for the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's next for the Honorverse
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

i've always believed that the griping about the Harrington's being a lost Star line was simply a way to try and "lessen" the anger.

Getting kicked by a "lost" line was somewhat less galling then losing to a "non improved" bloodline.

in other words they were lying to themselves to make them feel better about getting their asses kicked. of course that excuse only worked for honor and did nothing about all their setbacks when they lost to any other manty, like gold peak, terekov or zilwicki.
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:i've always believed that the griping about the Harrington's being a lost Star line was simply a way to try and "lessen" the anger.

Getting kicked by a "lost" line was somewhat less galling then losing to a "non improved" bloodline.

in other words they were lying to themselves to make them feel better about getting their asses kicked. of course that excuse only worked for honor and did nothing about all their setbacks when they lost to any other manty, like gold peak, terekov or zilwicki.

Good eye Dauntless, and it seems obviously the case, human nature being what it is. But speaking from certain readers' POV, it does little to float our boats.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
tlb wrote:The basic Meyerdahl modifications may predate the Final War, but there is nothing to prevent Mesan scientists from giving it their own little twist. The question about whether the changes would be noticeable is a good one, RFC might answer if there is a follow up short story. A counter question is why would the scientists talk about a line that got away, if there was no modification? If the talk is just hot air, then I would prefer that it not appear in the book.

could be one of rfc's (in)famous red herrings

If it is a red herring, I feel about it as the SLN does about the Manties' damn "big-assed" battlecruisers, it's more of a whale than a herring!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by bert953   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:36 am

bert953
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

lm hoping that in the next Honorverse book, we'll hear about the Mandarins' trial, along with a creative & appropriate punishment for their sins. I'd also like to see more from the Ghost hunters, perhaps they even provide some obscure tidbit that helps Cachat, Zilwicki & Harahap in their efforts to unpeel the onion.
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:45 am

Peregrinator
Commander

cthia wrote:
tlb wrote:Personally I found that disappointing: it would have been a good thing to have the Mesan Alignment lose an important part of their centuries long plan to a person outside of their scope and it is a lesser thing for that person to be one of their "star" lines. That means the original point of their plan wins anyway, because the genetic improvements that they wanted have still come out on top. The only reason that I can see for RFC to have written that in is that it will be a plot point in some future story.

I concur with the disappointment factor. It has always warmed the cockles of my heart that the Alignment were being undone by someone who isn't one of them. It is a big letdown that Honor is actually a chip off the old block of misaligned genetic tampering. It's as if that fact goes to prove the validity of all of the Alignment's claims. At first light, I asked myself if the author was insane to pen that and what the hell is he thinking, but then I have to wonder what the hell is he thinking. Which implies that he may have yet another curve ball to straighten out that curve. Trust the driver if he has already demonstrated he didn't forge his license.

I don't know, I almost always find a villain's getting hoisted with his own petard to be satisfying.
Post by tlb   » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:49 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Personally I found that disappointing: it would have been a good thing to have the Mesan Alignment lose an important part of their centuries long plan to a person outside of their scope and it is a lesser thing for that person to be one of their "star" lines. That means the original point of their plan wins anyway, because the genetic improvements that they wanted have still come out on top. The only reason that I can see for RFC to have written that in is that it will be a plot point in some future story.

cthia wrote:I concur with the disappointment factor. It has always warmed the cockles of my heart that the Alignment were being undone by someone who isn't one of them. It is a big letdown that Honor is actually a chip off the old block of misaligned genetic tampering. It's as if that fact goes to prove the validity of all of the Alignment's claims. At first light, I asked myself if the author was insane to pen that and what the hell is he thinking, but then I have to wonder what the hell is he thinking. Which implies that he may have yet another curve ball to straighten out that curve. Trust the driver if he has already demonstrated he didn't forge his license.

Peregrinator wrote:I don't know, I almost always find a villain's getting hoisted with his own petard to be satisfying.

According to TV Tropes:
The Thanatos Gambit is what happens when a character deliberately manipulates the circumstances of their death to their own profit. It could be to ensure that they get as comfy (or stylish) an exit as possible, but most often, it's used to deliver one last "Screw you" to their arch-nemesis.
The Malign is NOT completely hoisted by their own petard, although the military option seems to have failed; because the original point of their disagreement with Beowulf has been proved: the genetic improvements that they wanted have come out on top.

Return to Honorverse