Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 14 guests

Manticore's new citizens

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Manticore's new citizens
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:45 am

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:09 pm

So Manticore needs a new constitution, or at least a heck of a set of amendments. Forget the Talbott cluster; the newest citizens to need some new rights expressly codified are the treecats and their people. (And one other group I'll get to.)

Right now the 'cats have one extra-MBS colony, on Grayson. It's likely they'll want to establish others, and it's certain that the higher ups on Haven, Beowulf, etc will want to extend that invitation-- the 'cats are too great an advantage to the humans they choose to partner with. But as we've seen in Treecat Wars, even 'cats have conflicts between them. How does Manticore deal with the fact that there will eventually come a time, if only in the distant future, when war will cut some 'cat clans off from the homeworld-- or worse, pit treecats against Manticore itself? They need a "right of return" for treecats and their adoptees. Automatic dual citizenship or only just the offer, permanently extended.

So far, treecats have been lucky in their allies, and cunning in their successful takeover of the monarchy. :lol: But now that they're out of the closet, they need the right to an education, and to send representatives to Parliament if they so choose. Most 'cats may always want to live as they have, but now that they're starting to integrate more closely into human society, they need to be able to access the information they need, and to argue their case as necessary. (How would treecats vote on going to war, for example? Not to mention, what one constitutional amendment can do, another can undo...)

And while the SEM's in the process of adjusting to the fact that they have a whole sentient species demanding a new role in their society, perhaps they ought to extend the same opportunities to the OTHER sentient species they've colonized.

Medusans. All we really see of them is in OBS, where they're described as having all the hallmarks of any civilization, including governments, laws, and trade. Where Manticore could have argued that, without a common language, the "perpetual child" thing was the best they could do for treecats, Medusans *have* language and have had the ability to communicate with humans for decades.

Where is their representation in Parliament? How do they contest Manticore's decisions about their planet, which has already been involved in Manticore's wars at least twice? We know Manticore limits their access to technology regardless of their wishes (using the rather spurious argument that they don't want to contaminate the culture-- if all you wanted was the wormhole, why did you land at all? Just build the forts, call the planet a preserve and don't let anyone land!).

Do they have the right to go off-world? Do they have the right to books, histories, galactic news? I would assume not, if Manticore is trying to keep them from acquiring tech (and educational materials would lead to exactly that). Which is ridiculous. At this point, Medusans know the galaxy is out there. It's time to give it to them.
Top
Re: Manticore's new citizens
Post by Vince   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:31 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1565
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:43 pm

NortonIDaughter wrote:So Manticore needs a new constitution, or at least a heck of a set of amendments. Forget the Talbott cluster; the newest citizens to need some new rights expressly codified are the treecats and their people. (And one other group I'll get to.)

Right now the 'cats have one extra-MBS colony, on Grayson. It's likely they'll want to establish others, and it's certain that the higher ups on Haven, Beowulf, etc will want to extend that invitation-- the 'cats are too great an advantage to the humans they choose to partner with. But as we've seen in Treecat Wars, even 'cats have conflicts between them. How does Manticore deal with the fact that there will eventually come a time, if only in the distant future, when war will cut some 'cat clans off from the homeworld-- or worse, pit treecats against Manticore itself? They need a "right of return" for treecats and their adoptees. Automatic dual citizenship or only just the offer, permanently extended.

So far, treecats have been lucky in their allies, and cunning in their successful takeover of the monarchy. :lol: But now that they're out of the closet, they need the right to an education, and to send representatives to Parliament if they so choose. Most 'cats may always want to live as they have, but now that they're starting to integrate more closely into human society, they need to be able to access the information they need, and to argue their case as necessary. (How would treecats vote on going to war, for example? Not to mention, what one constitutional amendment can do, another can undo...)

And while the SEM's in the process of adjusting to the fact that they have a whole sentient species demanding a new role in their society, perhaps they ought to extend the same opportunities to the OTHER sentient species they've colonized.

Medusans. All we really see of them is in OBS, where they're described as having all the hallmarks of any civilization, including governments, laws, and trade. Where Manticore could have argued that, without a common language, the "perpetual child" thing was the best they could do for treecats, Medusans *have* language and have had the ability to communicate with humans for decades.

Where is their representation in Parliament? How do they contest Manticore's decisions about their planet, which has already been involved in Manticore's wars at least twice? We know Manticore limits their access to technology regardless of their wishes (using the rather spurious argument that they don't want to contaminate the culture-- if all you wanted was the wormhole, why did you land at all? Just build the forts, call the planet a preserve and don't let anyone land!).

Do they have the right to go off-world? Do they have the right to books, histories, galactic news? I would assume not, if Manticore is trying to keep them from acquiring tech (and educational materials would lead to exactly that). Which is ridiculous. At this point, Medusans know the galaxy is out there. It's time to give it to them.

For more information on the Medusans, including their civilization's technology and cultural levels (compared to human levels), as well as their current and future political relationships among themselves and Manticore, read House of Steel, including The Honorverse Companion, where more of those details are addressed.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Top
Re: Manticore's new citizens
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11274
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Some things that came up in a discussion amongst my friends quite some time ago is the treecat rights leading to a seat in the Lords. LOL

Would a human be able to marry a treecat? It isn't inconceivable that a bonded pair would opt to get married for legal reasons. Married people can buy assets without jumping through a lot of the legal hoops presented to singles. Not to mention all of the tax breaks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Manticore's new citizens
Post by Joat42   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 am

Joat42
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1530
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:01 am
Location: Sweden

I would love to see a short story set 100 years in the future (ca 2020 PD) how the cats have integrated into human society.

There is a lot of work they can do and earn a lot of money. Diplomatic, judicial, contract negotiation, psychiatrist etc where their empathic abilities would be a tremendous boon.
Last edited by Joat42 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.


Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Top
Re: Manticore's new citizens
Post by Daryl   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:35 am

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

The best human societies are founded on egalitarianism, with equality of opportunity and no discrimination.
That may not be optimal with a society made up of very different species with very different abilities and outlooks. There may well have to be safeguards to protect all sentient citizens, just as we now have laws to protect the slower witted from con merchants.
As an example, code duello where the challenged gets to choose the weapons would have to be different.
Top
Re: Manticore's new citizens
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 am

TFLYTSNBN
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

cthia wrote:Some things that came up in a discussion amongst my friends quite some time ago is the treecat rights leading to a seat in the Lords. LOL

Would a human be able to marry a treecat? It isn't inconceivable that a bonded pair would opt to get married for legal reasons. Married people can buy assets without jumping through a lot of the legal hoops presented to singles. Not to mention all of the tax breaks.



Now your getting preverted.

Then again, Nimitz likes to sleep on Honor's chest with his head resting beteeen her breasts. Queen Elibeth's treecat Ariel risks suffocation.

On a serious note, I suspect that some new type of legal institution similar to marriage will evolve so that treecats can own property in common with their humans.
Top
Re: Manticore's new citizens
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:59 am

TFLYTSNBN
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

NortonIDaughter wrote:So Manticore needs a new constitution, or at least a heck of a set of amendments. Forget the Talbott cluster; the newest citizens to need some new rights expressly codified are the treecats and their people. (And one other group I'll get to.)

Right now the 'cats have one extra-MBS colony, on Grayson. It's likely they'll want to establish others, and it's certain that the higher ups on Haven, Beowulf, etc will want to extend that invitation-- the 'cats are too great an advantage to the humans they choose to partner with. But as we've seen in Treecat Wars, even 'cats have conflicts between them. How does Manticore deal with the fact that there will eventually come a time, if only in the distant future, when war will cut some 'cat clans off from the homeworld-- or worse, pit treecats against Manticore itself? They need a "right of return" for treecats and their adoptees. Automatic dual citizenship or only just the offer, permanently extended.

So far, treecats have been lucky in their allies, and cunning in their successful takeover of the monarchy. :lol: But now that they're out of the closet, they need the right to an education, and to send representatives to Parliament if they so choose. Most 'cats may always want to live as they have, but now that they're starting to integrate more closely into human society, they need to be able to access the information they need, and to argue their case as necessary. (How would treecats vote on going to war, for example? Not to mention, what one constitutional amendment can do, another can undo...)

And while the SEM's in the process of adjusting to the fact that they have a whole sentient species demanding a new role in their society, perhaps they ought to extend the same opportunities to the OTHER sentient species they've colonized.

Medusans. All we really see of them is in OBS, where they're described as having all the hallmarks of any civilization, including governments, laws, and trade. Where Manticore could have argued that, without a common language, the "perpetual child" thing was the best they could do for treecats, Medusans *have* language and have had the ability to communicate with humans for decades.

Where is their representation in Parliament? How do they contest Manticore's decisions about their planet, which has already been involved in Manticore's wars at least twice? We know Manticore limits their access to technology regardless of their wishes (using the rather spurious argument that they don't want to contaminate the culture-- if all you wanted was the wormhole, why did you land at all? Just build the forts, call the planet a preserve and don't let anyone land!).

Do they have the right to go off-world? Do they have the right to books, histories, galactic news? I would assume not, if Manticore is trying to keep them from acquiring tech (and educational materials would lead to exactly that). Which is ridiculous. At this point, Medusans know the galaxy is out there. It's time to give it to them.


I absolute agree about the takeover of the monarchy. King Roger and his daughter Elizebeth,the as well as Honor Harrington respond to threats in the same manner as Treecat clans respond to Hexapumas that invade their range. They kill it.
Top
Re: Manticore's new citizens
Post by Theemile   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:21 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3636
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: All over the Place - Now Serving Troy, Mi

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
cthia wrote:Some things that came up in a discussion amongst my friends quite some time ago is the treecat rights leading to a seat in the Lords. LOL

Would a human be able to marry a treecat? It isn't inconceivable that a bonded pair would opt to get married for legal reasons. Married people can buy assets without jumping through a lot of the legal hoops presented to singles. Not to mention all of the tax breaks.



Now your getting preverted.

Then again, Nimitz likes to sleep on Honor's chest with his head resting beteeen her breasts. Queen Elibeth's treecat Ariel risks suffocation.

On a serious note, I suspect that some new type of legal institution similar to marriage will evolve so that treecats can own property in common with their humans.


Manticorian Law already allows for "non-traditional" contract marriages of any shape, size, and duration. I don't see Treecat bonding laws being a big stretch from those that exist - the "hardest" part is establishing that Treecats themselves have individual ownership rights.
******
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Top
Re: Manticore's new citizens
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Theemile wrote:Manticorian Law already allows for "non-traditional" contract marriages of any shape, size, and duration. I don't see Treecat bonding laws being a big stretch from those that exist - the "hardest" part is establishing that Treecats themselves have individual ownership rights.

There would have to be at least one change, since treecats currently have "minor child" status.
Top
Re: Manticore's new citizens
Post by saber964   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm

saber964
Admiral

Posts: 2378
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:41 pm
Location: Spokane WA USA

A Kings Bench decision in 1685 PD forever banned all legal challenges to Treecat sentience and status as citizens. Also a Treecat adoption carries the same legal status as a marriage.

Based on the treecat stated population, treecats would have 3 or 4 members of parliament and probably the same number in the house of lords. Based on the exploits of several treecats and assumed positions.

Lady Samantha Countess of Sun Leaf
Lord Nimitz Duke of Bright Water
Lady Sorrow Singer Grand Duchess of Black Rock, Singer of the Clans.
Top

Return to Honorverse