Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

Haven Victorious

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Haven Victorious
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

thanatos wrote:
cthia wrote:I can't help but feel Beth is secretly worried deep down inside about the lasting stability of the restored Republic. What will happen to it after the changing of the guard? After Pritchard is replaced with a fair election, how is the course of the current government maintained with so many Saint-Just style of sympathizers waiting in the wings? Trust me, I've personally been a part of much more surprising elections.

How is Beth to know that the leopard isn't really a chameleon waiting to change its colors again? With so much shared tech it could prove fatally difficult for the Star Empire this time around trying to recover from a blow like that. And even more difficult for Beth and her power base to bounce back from being so wrong.

I believe this point is addresses in the Epilogue of Uncompromising Honor. Elizabeth is well aware of the dangers, especially since Prichart can only remain in power for 3 5-year terms I believe, which is the reflection of pre-prolong thinking. Which is why the two of them have agreed on deepening the cultural ties between Manticore and Haven by granting automatic citizenship for anyone who moves in either direction. It's how Manticore and Beowulf ended up such close nations, with citizens on both sides getting married and having such deep political ties despite Beowulf's membership in the SL. So the new arrangement goes even further than that, making it very difficult for Havenites to view Manticorans (or it's alliance members) as enemies and getting the sort of political toehold among the population (the way the Legislaturalists and the CPS did to divert attention away from their failings).

Thanks for the info. I'd sure hate to see Beth stressed by another chameleon act. That would probably bend her steel to the point of breaking.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ericth   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:42 pm

ericth
Commander

I do believe that RFC let something slip..

He's been coy about the exact nature of Shannon's Oopsie at the end of AoV, whether or not the Navy ships fired or the State Sec ships just blew up. But then there is this upthread:

runsforcelery wrote: It's possible that regular officers might have managed to secure control of some of the sub fleets, but it's unlikely without someone like Shannon Foraker planting an "Oopsie' in the covering StateSec superdreadnoughts' core programming.
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:40 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Hello all, I hate exams, I have not had time to catch up on this (rapidly multiplying) thread, could someone please fill me in as to the salient points of the discussion before my head explodes?

(Hi, Your Celeryness. I see you posting in here. Remember me? :mrgreen: )

From what I have been able to see in my rapid race through these posts, I have this to say:

1. Elizabeth is not telepathic and had no way of knowing why Theisman shot Saint-Just. Her conclusions were entirely understandable, even while they were also wrong.

2. I love Tom Theisman unabashedly.

3. I love Eloise Pritchart unabashedly.

4. I love Elizabeth dearly but dear GOD did she need a whack or three with a Character Development Stick where Haven is concerned.

5. I'd have been suspicious of Tom's motives too in her position.

6. ::cries forever because Haven-related Emotions::
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Hello all, I hate exams, I have not had time to catch up on this (rapidly multiplying) thread, could someone please fill me in as to the salient points of the discussion before my head explodes?

From what I have been able to see in my rapid race through these posts, I have this to say:

1. Elizabeth is not telepathic and had no way of knowing why Theisman shot Saint-Just. Her conclusions were entirely understandable, even while they were also wrong.

4. I love Elizabeth dearly but dear GOD did she need a whack or three with a Character Development Stick where Haven is concerned.

Welcome back rose. You hate exams? Why? Exams are a piece of cake. Scoring well as you'd like is what's difficult. LOL

Are you asking for Cliffnotes on the thread? RFC is schooling us and it took too long for your lovely Have-nots to grow a pair! Nuff said. 'Ouch!'

Will someone please be kind enough to remind me of what happened to the People's Commissioners? Rereading RFC's posts made me wonder what happened to the good ones and me-hopes I know what happened to the bad ones.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ericth wrote:I do believe that RFC let something slip..

He's been coy about the exact nature of Shannon's Oopsie at the end of AoV, whether or not the Navy ships fired or the State Sec ships just blew up. But then there is this upthread:

runsforcelery wrote: It's possible that regular officers might have managed to secure control of some of the sub fleets, but it's unlikely without someone like Shannon Foraker planting an "Oopsie' in the covering StateSec superdreadnoughts' core programming.

Well now I'm curious, because I thought it was always clear that she initiated some sort of self-destruct mechanism.

Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:24 am

TFLYTSNBN

roseandheather wrote:Hello all, I hate exams, I have not had time to catch up on this (rapidly multiplying) thread, could someone please fill me in as to the salient points of the discussion before my head explodes?

Haven assasinated her father, her prime minister, tried to assasinate her niece. Why should she not hate Haven?
Post by tlb   » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:03 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Haven assasinated her father, her prime minister, tried to assasinate her niece. Why should she not hate Haven?

The attacks on the heir to the Andermani Empire, Honor by her aide, the Manticore ambassador to the SL and the Torch throne room all involved a mind control component that should have cast suspicion on the belief that Haven was involved. Some people, such as Honor, had those suspicions. Why didn't Beth? Mainly because of the attacks that could clearly be linked to Haven.
Post by cthia   » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:

Haven assasinated her father, her prime minister, tried to assasinate her niece. Why should she not hate Haven?

Not to mention what was done to Honor and Nimitz and the downright unspeakable crimes against nature committed on Blackbird* that probably almost cost Honor her sanity and her career. Plus, they were abusing POWs until Honor gave them a lesson in compassion.

Sorry rose, I like your Peeps now, but they changed and came a long way from being some awful maggots. If your own officers get so fed up they say "I'm outta here!" That should tell you something. Actions do speak louder than words.

*Guilty by association.

Post by tlb   » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:24 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Not to mention what was done to Honor and Nimitz and the downright unspeakable crimes against nature committed on Blackbird* that probably almost cost Honor her sanity and her career. Plus, they were abusing POWs until Honor gave them a lesson in compassion.

*Guilty by association.

Since Theisman warned Honor about the presence of prisoners on Blackbird; I am not sure that it is fair to say there is guilt by association. Certainly no one blamed Yu or Theisman.
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:00 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
ericth wrote:I do believe that RFC let something slip..

Well now I'm curious, because I thought it was always clear that she initiated some sort of self-destruct mechanism.

hmmmm - not sure that's true. It would be very suprising if they did have self destruct mechanisms... Murphy etc

Return to Honorverse