Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 114 guests

Haven Victorious

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Haven Victorious
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:18 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

What I never understood however, is why Tom annouced that St Just had been shot. If you had shot him, but announced that our "beloved leader Oscar St. Just has dies of a cerebral haemorrhage", and his trusted subordinate Eloise Pritchard is going to be the new chairman, I suspect that it would have diffused (at least for a while) some of the State Sec opposition, giving them time to identify and round up the most egregious of the State Sec offenders.

Actually, I never understood why St Just thought it was necessary to build a case for trying McQueen. The same logic holds. She died due to a heart attack from overwork on behalf of the People (order nine yards of puff and insert here) , and we are scheduling a glorious state funeral for the "Heroine of People"
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:35 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

GregD wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:There are all kinds of reasons for Eloise not to have personally negotiated with or sent a special envoy, outside the High Ridge negotiators, to Haven. Part of it is constitutional, since she would have been stepping on a Parliamentary prerogative to do anything of the sort without the approval and support of the current government (which was High Ridge's). Part of it is that fact that she hated and distrusted all Peeps, and with damned good cause. Part of it was that as has been pointed out she had no idea if the Theisman-Pritchart government was ultimately going to stand or fall. Part of it was that the (accurate) rumors that Theisman had simply shot Saint-Just out of hand without even a pretense of due process left his escutcheon just a tad tarnished in her eyes . . . and suggested that he wasn't all that different from Saint-Just (and, of course, it was well known that Pritchart had been a leading terrorist, assassin, and murderer before the Pierre Coup and then served the SS as a political commissar).

My point here is that it would never have occurred to her to send a treecat-augmented "fact-finding mission" to Nouveau Paris for a whole bunch of reasons, including the fact that right up until the very verge of Operation Thunderbolt, the treecats wouldn't have been able to communicate very much except "we like these guys" about what they were picking up.

That, however, is secondary — if not tertiary — to the fact that all the evidence she possessed told her that there was no significant difference between the Theisman-Pritchart regime and the Pierre-Saint-Just regime. Both had come to power in a violent coup, both of them had ruthlessly eliminated the group previously in power, one of them was a self-confessed terrorist/assassin, and they were currently involved in a four-way (or more) civil war, so it wasn't at all clear for quite a while that they were even going to survive.

Frankly, it didn't matter who they were or how they might differ from the preceding regime(s). I mean, literally, it did not matter, for a bunch of reasons. One was that the Havenite navy was totally out-classed against the RMN. There was no way that any Havenite admiral was going to be stupid enough to go up against the Royal Manticoran Navy when Haven didn't even have podnoughts yet, much less the MDMs to put aboard them, and according to all of her intelligence agencies, that was the case. I mentioned that she had a little of the Manticoran hubris herself, but that's another way of saying that she was guided by the expert analysis of all of her intelligence agencies. And what they were telling her was that Haven had been totally defeated (militarily), whether or not Nouveau Paris had been occupied, and that — judging from the self-evident capabilities of the ships actually engaged in their civil war (bearing in mind that Theisman was deliberately concealing the existence of the SD(P)s being built at Bolthole) — there was no prospect whatsoever of Haven being able to successfully resume hostilities. That's why she was so focused on the domestic front.

Which is my point.

Grayson sending Steadholder Harrington to negotiate a peace treaty with Haven is not a "private diplomatic mission". Now, the fact that Steadholder Harrington is also Duchess Harrington, and that SH / DH has had a long talk with the Queen before heading off on the mission, means that any treaty reached will be acceptable to the Queen, and to the people of Manticore, is a nice benefit.

But the Treaty's being negotiated between Grayson and Haven.

The reason for Elizabeth to get on board is that they end of the war destroys her domestic enemies.

1: The fact that Harrington can get a Treaty, when the High Ridge gov't "couldn't", makes that gov't, and everyone associated with it, look bad in the public eye.

2: The end of the war ends a bunch of taxes the HRG was using to buy allies

3: The end of the war means they can't delay elections any longer, which means the San Martin Lords get added. Which means the power center in the Lords gets shifted significantly towards Elizabeth

The point isn't to be kind to those poor Havenites, the point is to eviscerate High Ridge et. al.

runsforcelery wrote:
GregD, this is a total nonstarter. First, because it would be literally impossible for Elizabeth to convince anyone that this whole elaborate circle was not her doing an end run around Parliament. And the reason she couldn't, is that is precisely what it would be. Moreover, she has a much greater respect for the fundamental constitution of the Star Kingdom than you appear to have. Grayson is not going to be able to negotiate a peace treaty --- especially if they send Steadholder Harrington --- which a single soul in the SKM would see as anything but the Crown subverting the constitution through a legal fiction, and the damage to the Constitution would be . . . extreme. Yes, in the short term she might have forced a fait accompli on High Ridge. Frankly, I doubt it; it's much more likely that the entire damned House of Lords, including her supporters, would have lined up against the farrago of lies and pretenses wrapped up in this proposal because they would've seen the disastrous precedent this would establish down the road.

Legally, Elizabeth could, indeed, argue that she had nothing to do with it. In fact, everyone would know better, and the damage would be done. This is why she saw the issue with High Ridge in domestic terms from the very beginning. There was no possible upside for her (given her understanding of the interstellar situation at that time) in this sort of end run except breaking High Ridge's kneecaps, and as I've said before, the Wintons have always taken the long view where the Constitution is concerned. She wasn't going to do it, and, frankly, she would have been wrong to do it, assuming that one has any respect for the rule of law and the constitutional limitations on the executive.

Now, had blood still been being shed, had High Ridge refused to negotiate seriously while people were being killed, then, yes, she might have gone ahead and done it anyway on the theory that the loss of life now trumps potential longterm constitutional issues. That was not the case, however. Everything Elizabeth did or didn't do has to be seen through the lens of what she knew about Havenite capabilities and intentions at the time.

Actually, I suspect the politcal blowback from the attempt in the Lords would lead to a strong movement to have Elizabeth abdicate in favor of her son. They migh not be able to force her to do so, but she could effectively write off any sort of reproachment with the Lords until she does, even after High Ridge is gone. Elizabeth is well aware of this, and would never contemplate opening the door to that result.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:38 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

IMO Tom was too honest to want to play the "our beloved leader died of a cerebral hemorrhage" game.

Plus IMO Tom wanted a new Haven Republic separate from the various "People's Republics" so announcing the death of the very much hated head of State Security at his hands was an attempt to say "St. Just was the old People's Republic" which I have killed. Now we are going to recreate the old Republic of Haven."

As for St. Just and McQueen, while Rob Pierre was alive St. Just (being loyal to Pierre) wouldn't just kill McQueen until he convinced Pierre that McQueen had to go. Plus there was a factor that he knew McQueen was necessary so he wouldn't kill her until he was sure that it was necessary for her to be removed.

Of course, Tom had been ordered back to Haven because St. Just wanted somebody in place in case he could or had to replace McQueen.

fallsfromtrees wrote:What I never understood however, is why Tom annouced that St Just had been shot. If you had shot him, but announced that our "beloved leader Oscar St. Just has dies of a cerebral haemorrhage", and his trusted subordinate Eloise Pritchard is going to be the new chairman, I suspect that it would have diffused (at least for a while) some of the State Sec opposition, giving them time to identify and round up the most egregious of the State Sec offenders.

Actually, I never understood why St Just thought it was necessary to build a case for trying McQueen. The same logic holds. She died due to a heart attack from overwork on behalf of the People (order nine yards of puff and insert here) , and we are scheduling a glorious state funeral for the "Heroine of People"
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:44 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:IMO Tom was too honest to want to play the "our beloved leader died of a cerebral hemorrhage" game.

Plus IMO Tom wanted a new Haven Republic separate from the various "People's Republics" so announcing the death of the very much hated head of State Security at his hands was an attempt to say "St. Just was the old People's Republic" which I have killed. Now we are going to recreate the old Republic of Haven."

As for St. Just and McQueen, while Rob Pierre was alive St. Just (being loyal to Pierre) wouldn't just kill McQueen until he convinced Pierre that McQueen had to go. Plus there was a factor that he knew McQueen was necessary so he wouldn't kill her until he was sure that it was necessary for her to be removed.

Of course, Tom had been ordered back to Haven because St. Just wanted somebody in place in case he could or had to replace McQueen.

fallsfromtrees wrote:What I never understood however, is why Tom annouced that St Just had been shot. If you had shot him, but announced that our "beloved leader Oscar St. Just has dies of a cerebral haemorrhage", and his trusted subordinate Eloise Pritchard is going to be the new chairman, I suspect that it would have diffused (at least for a while) some of the State Sec opposition, giving them time to identify and round up the most egregious of the State Sec offenders.

Notice that dictatorships like to take on the trappings of decent states when they murder. The Bolsheviks went very much for guilty pleas before they killed. As have other states once the dictators are in place.

McQeen's death was by nuclear explosion. Hard to explain. Easier to admit. Earlier, she was a hero. Killing her might create issues. Easier to have her guilty of crimes and you can take down possible followers at the same time.
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:56 pm

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:That, however, is secondary — if not tertiary — to the fact that all the evidence she possessed told her that there was no significant difference between the Theisman-Pritchart regime and the Pierre-Saint-Just regime. Both had come to power in a violent coup, both of them had ruthlessly eliminated the group previously in power, one of them was a self-confessed terrorist/assassin, and they were currently involved in a four-way (or more) civil war, so it wasn't at all clear for quite a while that they were even going to survive.

Frankly, it didn't matter who they were or how they might differ from the preceding regime(s). I mean, literally, it did not matter, for a bunch of reasons. One was that the Havenite navy was totally out-classed against the RMN (...)

(Snipped: a lot more about the RHN vs the RMN as a military threat)

I'll accept the notion that Manticore might not have thought the new government would stand; likewise I'll accept that the treecats' new signing ability was not as advanced as I had believed for several years after the original breakthrough (and the implication that the treecats' approval would not have been enough without their "verbal" confirmation and details).

But I'm still seeing the argument framed as if a war was the only reason Elizabeth would have needed to know whether Tom and Eloise were genuine, which I just argued is far from the case.

And since the issue of the evidence of the Republic's reformed nature has been raised again, I will C&P my comment from earlier:

NortonIDaughter wrote:By the time WoH opens, Haven has already regained it's constitution, allowed member planets to leave if they so desired, and started making reparations to the internal groups who had been specifically targeted by the Legislaturalists and Committee of Public Safety (as we see in that story about Abigail's middy cruise). They've held open, fair, and free elections. And those are just the most obvious things we see on the page. Erewhon, which had also lost and suffered at the Peep's hands, looked at the Republic's actions and came to the (correct) conclusion that Haven had changed. It's clear from their eventual leak of "Operation Raging Justice" that such biased observers as Beowulf were able to see the truth as well.

Furthermore, Honor has firsthand, personal knowledge of Thomas Theisman-- and most importantly, so does Nimitz, who at this point is completely fluent in sign and able to pass on the information he obtained from Tom's mindglow-- and while there wasn't time for much sampling at Barnett, he had plenty of time to delve back in Grayson. And Warner Caslet, at the very least, can attest to his character being largely unchanged since the early days of the war. So too do Tom's actions speak for him.

That *is* evidence, and a lot of it. I would argue that letting systems peacefully leave the Republic was as un-Peeplike a thing as could be managed. And again, all of this happened before (in some cases, a year or more a least) before WoH opens.

And clearly at least one star nation that lost and suffered at Peep hands *did* consider that evidence, and find it convincing.
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:00 am

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yeaaah, Tom's Marines blew a hole in the side of the tower to get in. The timing on that hemorrhage would've been pretty suspect. :lol:

Victor probably could've managed it, but to borrow a phrase from Neil Gaiman, he strikes me as "one of nature's poisoners".
Post by kzt   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:29 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

NortonIDaughter wrote:Yeaaah, Tom's Marines blew a hole in the side of the tower to get in. The timing on that hemorrhage would've been pretty suspect. :lol:

Victor probably could've managed it, but to borrow a phrase from Neil Gaiman, he strikes me as "one of nature's poisoners".

He did die of a cerebral hemorrhage, when his brains hemorrhaged out the back of his head.
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:00 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

NortonIDaughter wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:That, however, is secondary — if not tertiary — to the fact that all the evidence she possessed told her that there was no significant difference between the Theisman-Pritchart regime and the Pierre-Saint-Just regime. Both had come to power in a violent coup, both of them had ruthlessly eliminated the group previously in power, one of them was a self-confessed terrorist/assassin, and they were currently involved in a four-way (or more) civil war, so it wasn't at all clear for quite a while that they were even going to survive.

Frankly, it didn't matter who they were or how they might differ from the preceding regime(s). I mean, literally, it did not matter, for a bunch of reasons. One was that the Havenite navy was totally out-classed against the RMN (...)

(Snipped: a lot more about the RHN vs the RMN as a military threat)

I'll accept the notion that Manticore might not have thought the new government would stand; likewise I'll accept that the treecats' new signing ability was not as advanced as I had believed for several years after the original breakthrough (and the implication that the treecats' approval would not have been enough without their "verbal" confirmation and details).

But I'm still seeing the argument framed as if a war was the only reason Elizabeth would have needed to know whether Tom and Eloise were genuine, which I just argued is far from the case.

And since the issue of the evidence of the Republic's reformed nature has been raised again, I will C&P my comment from earlier:

NortonIDaughter wrote:By the time WoH opens, Haven has already regained it's constitution, allowed member planets to leave if they so desired, and started making reparations to the internal groups who had been specifically targeted by the Legislaturalists and Committee of Public Safety (as we see in that story about Abigail's middy cruise). They've held open, fair, and free elections. And those are just the most obvious things we see on the page. Erewhon, which had also lost and suffered at the Peep's hands, looked at the Republic's actions and came to the (correct) conclusion that Haven had changed. It's clear from their eventual leak of "Operation Raging Justice" that such biased observers as Beowulf were able to see the truth as well.

Furthermore, Honor has firsthand, personal knowledge of Thomas Theisman-- and most importantly, so does Nimitz, who at this point is completely fluent in sign and able to pass on the information he obtained from Tom's mindglow-- and while there wasn't time for much sampling at Barnett, he had plenty of time to delve back in Grayson. And Warner Caslet, at the very least, can attest to his character being largely unchanged since the early days of the war. So too do Tom's actions speak for him.

That *is* evidence, and a lot of it. I would argue that letting systems peacefully leave the Republic was as un-Peeplike a thing as could be managed. And again, all of this happened before (in some cases, a year or more a least) before WoH opens.

And clearly at least one star nation that lost and suffered at Peep hands *did* consider that evidence, and find it convincing.

I think it's apparent that you and I are not going to agree on this point. You are operating on the basis of information available to you as the reader that was not available to Elizabeth acting in-universe, and your priorities are different from hers as the monarch of the Star Kingdom of Manticore. There's an awful lot going on in the Honorverse at this time, and in-universe individuals are reading it differently. My point is that from Elizabeth's perspective, it didn't matter who Eloise and Tom Theisman were. The peace negotiation process was not in her hands; it was going to work itself out in the end; until the new post-Bolthole naval units turned up, Haven was effectively powerless, and so could be deferred while she dealt with the more pressing issue of the High Ridge Government; and her responsibility was to her people, her Star Kingdom, and her Constitution, not to the Republic of Haven.

As far as Honor's view of Tom Theisman is concerned, that carried weight with Elizabeth, but not decisive weight. Elizabeth was completely confident that Honor would never lie to her and that Honor had far better insight into other people's personalities and emotions than any other human being could have. On the basis of that, she was prepared to accept the Tom had at least been a decent and an honorable man, but she also understood how circumstances could change someone's priorities pretty drastically. Let's remember that Rob Pierre staged his coup with largely laudable ambitions. That didn't end very well. So it's probably not unreasonable for Elizabeth to assume that it's possible Tom Theisman had changed since the last time Honor saw him, and the way in which he had (reportedly) shot Saint-Just was evidence that he could have. And, again, as I have said repeatedly, it didn't matter to her calculus at that time whether Tom Theisman was Galahad or Mordred. Negotiations were ongoing, there was no sign that they were going to go off the rails suddenly, and the military situation was secure. Diplomacy isn't about whether or not you like the other guy, or even whether or not the other guy is honest — it's about the balancing of strength and weakness, of mutual or exclusive opportunities, and about safeguarding your own position in a way that will protect your people even if the person you negotiated with is shot in the head by the next coup stager next Tuesday. Obviously if you can accurately evaluate the other side's motives, philosophy, and honesty, it's a huge multiplier for your own diplomacy's effectiveness, but at that stage of the process, none of that really mattered because it was obvious that no serious negotiations were going to take place until she got rid of High Ridge.

As for Erewhon, it had its own motives for negotiating with Haven, and they had damned little to do with the fact that any of its leaders believed Haven had changed its spots. In fact, when Haven went back to war with Manticore, Erewhon declared its neutrality because it felt pretty confident that the Pritchart administration had just flimflamed it to get critical operational information. In other words, it had done a Saint-Just from the ground up, and Erewhon had fallen for it. Erewhon negotiated with Haven not because it thought Haven was cuddly and wonderful, but because High Ridge had violated the most important fundamental of Erewhonese business and diplomacy ethics: "a deal is a deal." By negotiating individually and without even consulting its treaty partners, Manticore had broken faith with Erewhon, and Erewhon had changed sides far more in retaliation than because it thought Haven had become a bastion of light and truth.

Elizabeth knew and understood that; it's implicit in every bit of her reaction to what Erewhon had done. So the fact that Erewhon had negotiated successfully with Haven — especially when Haven would have an obvious interest in separating a Manticoran ally and just coincidentally acquiring insight into Manticoran war-fighting technology — wasn't exactly calculated to make her trust either of them one bit.

More to the point, she had plenty of balls in the air, and this was one that she wasn't prepared to add to the fountain she was already juggling. With the benefit of hindsight and omniscient narrator perspective, it's "obvious" that if she had only done it the entire war could have been averted and no one would have been killed. That was not obvious to her at the time and, in my opinion, it is unrealistic to call her negligent for not having done it.

Elizabeth isn't perfect, she makes mistakes, and — like Honor herself — she suffers from the vices of her virtues. She is a bulldog in attack or defense, she is fearless when she decides what she needs to do, she makes a Kodiak bear look shy and retiring if you harm someone she cares about, and she is capable of maintaining an intense focus on the problem at hand, often to the exclusion of what she has identified as secondary, less important considerations. Sometimes that turns around and bites her. That is precisely what happened here, however, and expecting Elizabeth Winton to do anything other than exactly what she did do — or to condemn her for having done it — is to completely overlook who and what she is.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by cthia   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Plus! Regardless, Elizabeth knew that Theisman didn't operate in a vacuum and that the crowded space about him was as unstable as Francium-223. She also knew that he was an officer and would go along with the final disposition of his enemies. Just as Honor would have carried out her own government's wishes even if she had ultimately disagreed with them.

Erewhon bolted as a matter of principle. They had a code of ethics that they lived by and to allow the High Ridge government to get away with what it did, would have been impossible under that code and still remain true to themselves.

I'm simply relieved that the antics of that nitwit High Ridge didn't cost them Grayson too. Had Honor not have been an integral part of Grayson, it might have.

I still think that Eloise should have secretly sent Beth a communique revealing the details of the forged correspondence along with the political restraints she was up against, as a show of trust and true colors. Eloise could have always denied it if she had to.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:What!!!? It really is Christmas time. :o
Am I dreaming??? . . . Pinch. . .pinch. Ouch! This is real!

TOLD U SO TOLD U SO TOLD U SO TOLD U SO! TOLD. U. SO!

runsforcelery wrote:Part of it was that the (accurate) rumors that Theisman had simply shot Saint-Just out of hand without even a pretense of due process left his escutcheon just a tad tarnished in her eyes . . . and suggested that he wasn't all that different from Saint-Just (and, of course, it was well known that Pritchart had been a leading terrorist, assassin, and murderer before the Pierre Coup and then served the SS as a political commissar).
Do pardon my bold of the author's text.

OMG!

The exact same things I argued until I was blue in the face and green in the gills in a certain thread where I accused Theisman of - surely in the eyes of many Havenite citizens - murder! I also went as far as suggesting that Elizabeth wouldn't like Theisman's actions so much either! That thread was closed. I thought there'd be pitchforks at my door. Don't sugarcoat it RFC, Beth was astonished that Saint-Just was MURDERED! And if Beth felt that way, surely some Havenite citizens did as well! I said it was a bad way to begin the newly established Republic.

I'll take apologies from all of you anytime you like. :roll:

runsforcelery wrote:snip
That, however, is secondary — if not tertiary — to the fact that all the evidence she possessed told her that there was no significant difference between the Theisman-Pritchart regime and the Pierre-Saint-Just regime. Both had come to power in a violent coup, both of them had ruthlessly eliminated the group previously in power, one of them was a self-confessed terrorist/assassin, and they were currently involved in a four-way (or more) civil war, so it wasn't at all clear for quite a while that they were even going to survive.

My same point in that same castrated thread of mine. Theisman's actions made him appear as if he wasn't much better than the regime he replaced. And if Eloise would have at least went through the motions and charged him and then had the charges dismissed, at least it would have appeared that she took the Constitution seriously and Beth would have taken note of that!

runsforcelery wrote:Part of it is that fact that she hated and distrusted all Peeps, and with damned good cause. Part of it was that as has been pointed out she had no idea if the Theisman-Pritchart government was ultimately going to stand or fall.

My point here is that it would never have occurred to her to send a treecat-augmented "fact-finding mission" to Nouveau Paris for a whole bunch of reasons, including the fact that right up until the very verge of Operation Thunderbolt, the treecats wouldn't have been able to communicate very much except "we like these guys" about what they were picking up.

My point as well. She didn't trust the Peeps, so there was no reason to send Cats to discover what she already knew. If she had thought there was a chance thst the leopard's stripes had changed, then . . .

So you see Peeps! It doesn't matter when all of you disagree with me. It doesn't change the truth!

runsforcelery wrote:Um. please do note that I never said Elizabeth disapproved of Saint-Just's summary execution, Nor did I ever say it wasn't absolutely the best thing Tom could have done under the circumstances. On the one hand, Haven did not need yet another "hanging judge" court trial at a time when it was essential to convince the people of Noveau Paris that a stable government was firmly in control and intended to be different from the CPS and SS. And, on the other, Haven didn't need a potential rallying point for StaeSec loyalists in the capital. Saint-Just dead might be a martyr, but he wasn't a leader for resistance to focus upon rescuing/restoring.

What I said is that Elizabeth couldn't know why he'd done it. She was not privy to his logic (if she had been, she would have approved, BTW), and so she was prepared to see it as a good outcome which had probably happened for bad reasons, if you see my point. And it didn't decrease her "confidence" in Tom and Eloise; it simply did exactly zero to increase her confidence for their respect for the rule of law.

Fair enough. Just the admission that Theisman was shot without due process and that Beth was a bit ruffled initially because of it is enough for my argument.

For the record, I approved of Theisman's actions too, as I indicated. I would have liked for Theisman to at least have offered himself up to Eloise to be arrested and had Eloise tell him where to shove it, though. And I suppose it shouldn't surprise me that ultimately Beth would have approved of Theisman's actions, being as you said she would have gladly shot the lot of her own problems if she could have gotten away with it. :lol: Go Beth!

BUT! I would have approved of Theisman even more if he'd acted a lot sooner. Saint-Just's regime was murdering officers and families at the whim of a madman and the officers of the RHN just stood idly by and let it happen. Not a single phucking pair of balls existed in their ranks IMO. Until Esther. Esther was the first to show any balls atall of the group that Alfredo and company left behind. Not a single pair hung between 'em. The Committee was murdering innocent civilians!

I would have shot Saint-Just myself! Then gladly offered my wrists up for cuffs.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse