Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Joseph Buckly shows up elsewhere

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Joseph Buckly shows up elsewhere
Post by NHBL   » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:05 pm

NHBL
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

It seems that Joe Buckley is the designated corpse in a lot of Weber's materials. Well, that's not the only place he's manifested. I'm watching Gettysburg, and noticed that the spokesman for the men of the Second Maine, at the beginning of the film, is Joseph Buckley! Have to see if he's still standing at the end.
Re: Joseph Buckly shows up elsewhere
Post by saber964   » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:00 pm

saber964
Admiral

NHBL wrote:It seems that Joe Buckley is the designated corpse in a lot of Weber's materials. Well, that's not the only place he's manifested. I'm watching Gettysburg, and noticed that the spokesman for the men of the Second Maine, at the beginning of the film, is Joseph Buckley! Have to see if he's still standing at the end.

He is.
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:18 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

NHBL wrote:It seems that Joe Buckley is the designated corpse in a lot of Weber's materials. Well, that's not the only place he's manifested. I'm watching Gettysburg, and noticed that the spokesman for the men of the Second Maine, at the beginning of the film, is Joseph Buckley! Have to see if he's still standing at the end.

In addition, Joe Buckley has become a kind of 'house joke' for quite a few Baen authors, with an informal competition to see who can provide the most 'imaginative' end for him. Baen produced an extracts anthology 'The Many Deaths of Joe Buckley' in 2014. It's available from Baen or Amazon.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:

In addition, Joe Buckley has become a kind of 'house joke' for quite a few Baen authors, with an informal competition to see who can provide the most 'imaginative' end for him. Baen produced an extracts anthology 'The Many Deaths of Joe Buckley' in 2014. It's available from Baen or Amazon.

John Ringo had a Buckley die in the Aldenata series. It's been a while but I think it was a bridge collapsing on top of him in an artillery barrage.
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I believe ringo dropped a building on him once.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:36 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

and Eric Flint had reporter Joe Buckley killed by torture in one of the 1632 books - the exact one escapes me at the moment - I think it was the Galileo Affair.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Come on guys. They don't call him Buckly for nothing. No one can buck the system like Buckly. He's the modern day Houdini.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:39 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Come on guys. They don't call him Buckly for nothing. No one can buck the system like Buckly. He's the modern day Houdini.

Except he dies each time, just like Kenny. Houdini only died once.
Post by jtg452   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:29 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Didn't Gannon have him 'absorbed' by a living ship because his Buckley decided to ignore orders and went exploring?

The human made portable AI's (called 'buckleys' after their creator) that basically 'die' (reset themselves) because of panic attacks if they are given the opportunity was too funny. If their awareness is turned up too high for too long, they basically worry themselves to 'death'- only to reset and return to awareness in a panic, of course.

Didn't he also get killed because he activated a grenade, shoved it into a crevasse only to find out that he couldn't open his hand to turn it loose?

Weber's history of the SLN Joseph Buckley named ships was funny as well.
Post by Senior Chief   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:59 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

jtg452 wrote:Didn't Gannon have him 'absorbed' by a living ship because his Buckley decided to ignore orders and went exploring?

The human made portable AI's (called 'buckleys' after their creator) that basically 'die' (reset themselves) because of panic attacks if they are given the opportunity was too funny. If their awareness is turned up too high for too long, they basically worry themselves to 'death'- only to reset and return to awareness in a panic, of course.

Didn't he also get killed because he activated a grenade, shoved it into a crevasse only to find out that he couldn't open his hand to turn it loose?

Weber's history of the SLN Joseph Buckley named ships was funny as well.

Hmmmm I was stationed on the USS Dennis J. Buckley DD 808 which was named after Dennis Joseph Buckley Jr.

Return to Honorverse