Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 67 guests

Joseph Buckly shows up elsewhere

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Joseph Buckly shows up elsewhere
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:31 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:
jtg452 wrote:Didn't Gannon have him 'absorbed' by a living ship because his Buckley decided to ignore orders and went exploring?

The human made portable AI's (called 'buckleys' after their creator) that basically 'die' (reset themselves) because of panic attacks if they are given the opportunity was too funny. If their awareness is turned up too high for too long, they basically worry themselves to 'death'- only to reset and return to awareness in a panic, of course.

Didn't he also get killed because he activated a grenade, shoved it into a crevasse only to find out that he couldn't open his hand to turn it loose?

Weber's history of the SLN Joseph Buckley named ships was funny as well.

Hmmmm I was stationed on the USS Dennis J. Buckley DD 808 which was named after Dennis Joseph Buckley Jr.

And you survived? Very fortunate!
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:21 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

jtg452 wrote:Didn't he also get killed because he activated a grenade, shoved it into a crevasse only to find out that he couldn't open his hand to turn it loose?.
Nah, that time he only blew his hand off.

Leading to his resigning from the armored infantry and reassignment Earthside. Which eventually led to him being killed under the bridge mentioned upthread. (Not mentioned was the bridge was already partially collapsed doe to previous antimatter artillery shell bombardment). Alien invasion is hell.
Post by jtg452   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:33 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Senior Chief wrote:

Hmmmm I was stationed on the USS Dennis J. Buckley DD 808 which was named after Dennis Joseph Buckley Jr.

Crandall's flagship was the latest incarnation of the SLN Joseph Buckley to give you an idea of how cursed the name is in the Honorverse.

A few of its' predecessors even survived long enough to be scrapped. Of course, a couple other Buckley's also just disappeared, too.
Post by Senior Chief   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

Yeah survived being highlined off the ship to an oiler, vertrep off the oiler to a aircraft carrier, then catapulted off the carrier on a Cod flight to land at an airport in Viet Nam being under a rocket attack... All withing 4 hours...

The only time I was really scared was when the CO of the Buckley came on the 1MC (pa system) and "Reminded All Hands To Sleep with their life jackets on!!!"
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:12 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

LoL!

Senior Chief wrote:Yeah survived being highlined off the ship to an oiler, vertrep off the oiler to a aircraft carrier, then catapulted off the carrier on a Cod flight to land at an airport in Viet Nam being under a rocket attack... All withing 4 hours...

The only time I was really scared was when the CO of the Buckley came on the 1MC (pa system) and "Reminded All Hands To Sleep with their life jackets on!!!"
Post by WLBjork   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:42 am

WLBjork
Commander

Galactic Sapper wrote:John Ringo had a Buckley die in the Aldenata series. It's been a while but I think it was a bridge collapsing on top of him in an artillery barrage.

The Aldenata Buckley probably suffered the most on screen.

Originally, it was a nameless trooper that lost his hand to the grenade but, presumably, sometime between that book and the one in which the story is recounted, Joe Buckley caused the upset that resulted in him becoming a butt-monkey.

As I recall:

Lost his hand to a grenade
Had the C-Dec land on him which smashed him through the megascraper
Retired due to insanity
Called back up and into the regular infantry
Electrocuted whilst manning a defensive position
Shot in the ass whilst attempting to flush a group of Polseen out of the cover of the bridge
Killed when the Normals descended into an orgy of firing when their God-King was killed.
Resurrected as the AI overlay for the "Buckley" PDA, whereby he gets 'killed'. Repeatedly.

Pretty sure I've forgotten a couple of incidents on Diess.
Post by RazorBat   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:44 pm

RazorBat
Midshipman

I'm usually just a lurker and rarely post. But Larry Correia's Monster Hunter Alpha with the trip hammer of events on Buckley is one of my favorites.

Sheriff's Deputy Joe Buckley is killed by a werewolf, comes back as a werewolf, is killed by a fellow deputy as a werewolf, when evil events unfold to bring back him and others as undead werewolves (not normal circumstances) he is shredded in a farm combine and spewed out the end as basically pureed undead/werewolf mix.

I enjoy most Buckley appearance no matter who the author is and there are a lot of them.
Post by Montrose Toast   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:13 am

Montrose Toast
Commodore

viewtopic.php?t=6436

As I remember reading elsewhere: "David Weber started it [killing Buckly] and John Ringo industrialized it."
"Who Dares Wins"
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:52 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

RazorBat wrote:he is shredded in a farm combine and spewed out the end

Wasn't that a gigantic turbocharged snow-blower?

I have found a Joe Buckley in John Ringo's zombie apocalypse series that starts with 'Under A Graveyard Sky'. Don't think I've seen him die yet. John must be saving up something REAL special.

Update: Ensign Joseph Buckley ran into a rock and his boat had to be scrapped. No more boat commands for Joe Buckley. Still not dead.
———————————
Last edited by Imaginos1892 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Daryl   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:40 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

There are a number of SF authors who have Joe Buckleys meeting interesting and grisly fates. Drake is one, as is Ryk Spoor.

Return to Honorverse