Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 86 guests

Where (or whether) to put criticism on Uncompromising Honor?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Where (or whether) to put criticism on Uncompromising Ho
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:36 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

As I understood it they only just managed to rush out their cool new system. If they had spent significant extra resources for defenses they wouldn't have had the defense system at all.

Plus Silver Bullet is hard to defend against.

45 minutes or 60 minutes isn't enough time to evacuate anything of decent size. 36 hours should have been honestly, but Hypatia obviously doesn't use my standards. I mean, they didn't even have a Deadman Switch based doomsday weapon to point at the Solarian League! They should have just been able to say "That's nice. If you nuke our habitats our doomsday weapon will glass every Sollie planet. So feel free to glass the Solarian League we can't stop you."

Eyal wrote:
We know that Manticore doesn't always rely on comprehensive simulated tests before deployment - if they had, Fearless would never have been modified as it was in the first book. And I imagine it's even more rushed in war time, with systems being operationally deployed without sufficiently thorough testing.

IIRC, Fearless did great in training exercises taking out more weight in ships than was lost by several fold. Not to mention the value of simply forcing your opponent to honor the threat. It never should have been deployed alone like that though.

Frank777 wrote:The logic of 'we approached Mesa, they bombed themself, nobody believes us, we have a big problem' does not hold for me. For several books we see that Manticore does the right thing, experiences gigantic spinning of the news by sollies, and moves on. When bombs are not set off by Manticore, and when people claim to be part of the Mesan plot without knowing anything of the terror actions earlier experienced, it clearly means the enemy has laid more false tracks than expected. No need to panic, just tell it as it is, as done before. The despair shown is out of character. Who cares what others spin ? What does this mean, now, for us Manties? Can we find cracks in the patterns? What can we learn?
Manticore... hasn't really done the right thing. Compared to the SLN their doing good, but they've also engaged what is piracy when they attacked nearly every neutral star nation with a hyperbridge.

Also telling it like it is, would probably backfire horribly. They DID take part in the first couple nukes. If they tell it as it is they go "We only provided technical assistance to the terrorist behind the Green Pines Massacre."

It matters how others spin it because if the rest of the galaxy decides Manticore needs to go, they can remove Manticore. At a minimum Beowulf can stick a knife in Manticore's back pretty easy. They're providing Manticore's missiles right now. :twisted:

Or the galaxy could decide to signal to the Oyster Bay attackers "We don't care if you wipe out Haven and Manticore. So feel free to strike again and hit their planets."

Or the rest of the galaxy could just decide to cut trade ties. Manticore depends on trade, especially the cash from the hyperbridges. Honestly, I'm not sure if they have the culture to inflate their currency and correctly handle their war debt competently without the income from the Manticore Junction.

What eludes me, however, is the logic. There is evidence of very strong spying and new techniques to enslave people up to the point of immediately making them unwilling assasins. So far, only Manticore is capable, due to their allies the 'cats, to find them, and so they do on Manticore, succesfully.
Those techniques weren't used though. Also they did bring treecats.

So *WHY* (in capitals, italic, bold and printed in font size 100) would you ever put your important people outside this safety umbrella for a large conference? You bring the outside folks in, never the reverse. Chances are that the three huge bombs made would never have been put there on Manticore. If we can consider this kind of options nowadays with terrorism on the whole planet earth, how much more would Manticore consider such safety after decades of war and experience?
Manticore has not been dealing with much in the way of terrorism. They've had a little light terrorism in the Talbott cluster and that level of terrorism would have been no real threat. In fact, the Grand Alliance is in bed with terrorists (the Ballroom), something they would never do if they were concerned with terrorism. The Ballroom is 100% Mesan terrorists!

And all that said, they can only be so paranoid and this research conference is a low risk event all things considered. There are much bigger vulnerabilities that Manticore hasn't fixed.

The Malign could have inflicted way more damage if they wanted to and went about it calmly. Why not rig a slave's microbiome to invade and destroy Manticore's biome? Why not try a reprise of Oyster Bay targeting planets? Why not fire up an impeller wedge on the surface of Beowulf?

The only reason the Beowulf attack happened was the Malign leadership lashed out at the first target they could. If the Malign does that people will die and Manticore should be grateful the damages was so minimal. They can't just sequester their people forever.

P.S. Frank777 you'll notice I'm only responding to the points you called out as on shakier ground. I'm in a good deal of agreement about the other points. :P

P.P.S. Sorry RFC, I guess UH is just the one book I like the least. :oops:
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:35 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

quite possibly a cat wrote:IIRC, Fearless did great in training exercises taking out more weight in ships than was lost by several fold. Not to mention the value of simply forcing your opponent to honor the threat. It never should have been deployed alone like that though.

No, aside from the first surprise attack it was repeatedly "destroyed" in those exercises. The other side just targeted all CLs on principle once they knew Fearless was out there, and the CLs couldn't take the beating. Not only did the design fail at being combat effective itself, it reduced the combat effectiveness of every other ship of it's size.

Manticore has not been dealing with much in the way of terrorism. They've had a little light terrorism in the Talbott cluster and that level of terrorism would have been no real threat.

Sorry, this is totally unrealistic. Manticore already had TWO glaring examples that the MAlign was willing to destroy civilian infrastructure and cause mass casualties. They nuked Giselle in New Tuscany - with 42 thousand dead - simply to provoke Admiral Byng. And they nuked one of the orbital habitats at Mesa - several million dead for reasons that weren't entirely clear to Manticore at the time. TWO such incidents within a year or so of each other, when historically there'd been zero such events for decades, should have been a flare-lit warning for anyone responsible for securing the conference. In my opinion it was criminal negligence to schedule the conference in orbit anywhere.

Maybe they were waiting for the traditional "three times is definitely enemy action", but it should have been obvious after one. Certainly after two. Hopefully after five, the people in charge of orbital habitats will learn a few lessons.
Post by kzt   » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:39 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:Maybe they were waiting for the traditional "three times is definitely enemy action", but it should have been obvious after one. Certainly after two. Hopefully after five, the people in charge of orbital habitats will learn a few lessons.

I am reminded of the lawyers who assured us that sending SSNs in clear text email was fine because it was privileged attorney-client communication.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:24 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
Galactic Sapper wrote:Maybe they were waiting for the traditional "three times is definitely enemy action", but it should have been obvious after one. Certainly after two. Hopefully after five, the people in charge of orbital habitats will learn a few lessons.

I am reminded of the lawyers who assured us that sending SSNs in clear text email was fine because it was privileged attorney-client communication.

Totally different subject: Eric Flint notified his followers that having handed in a new manuscript, he will now be collaborating with David Weber on a sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts.

That should continue this eArc a bit more. Maybe we'll see it in a year!
Post by Theemile   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:
quite possibly a cat wrote:IIRC, Fearless did great in training exercises taking out more weight in ships than was lost by several fold. Not to mention the value of simply forcing your opponent to honor the threat. It never should have been deployed alone like that though.

No, aside from the first surprise attack it was repeatedly "destroyed" in those exercises. The other side just targeted all CLs on principle once they knew Fearless was out there, and the CLs couldn't take the beating. Not only did the design fail at being combat effective itself, it reduced the combat effectiveness of every other ship of it's size.

Manticore has not been dealing with much in the way of terrorism. They've had a little light terrorism in the Talbott cluster and that level of terrorism would have been no real threat.

Sorry, this is totally unrealistic. Manticore already had TWO glaring examples that the MAlign was willing to destroy civilian infrastructure and cause mass casualties. They nuked Giselle in New Tuscany - with 42 thousand dead - simply to provoke Admiral Byng. And they nuked one of the orbital habitats at Mesa - several million dead for reasons that weren't entirely clear to Manticore at the time. TWO such incidents within a year or so of each other, when historically there'd been zero such events for decades, should have been a flare-lit warning for anyone responsible for securing the conference. In my opinion it was criminal negligence to schedule the conference in orbit anywhere.

Maybe they were waiting for the traditional "three times is definitely enemy action", but it should have been obvious after one. Certainly after two. Hopefully after five, the people in charge of orbital habitats will learn a few lessons.

Actually 3 Orbital attacks - Oyster Bay was the 3rd. Though the other 2 were specifically examples of pre-planted, hidden munitions.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

Totally different subject: Eric Flint notified his followers that having handed in a new manuscript, he will now be collaborating with David Weber on a sequel to Cauldron of Ghosts.

That should continue this eArc a bit more. Maybe we'll see it in a year!

oooooooo - do you have a link for that?
:-)
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:20 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

isaac_newton wrote:oooooooo - do you have a link for that?
:-)

https://www.facebook.com/eric.flint.52/ ... 1158065908

Little bit more complicated:

I'll be turning in one more [manuscript] very soon, which is titled THE MACEDONIAN HAZARD. I'm co-authoring this book with Gorg Huff and Paula Goodlett and it's the sequel to our novel THE ALEXANDER INHERITANCE, which came out in July of 2017.

As soon as I turn in MACEDONIAN HAZARD, I'll start working on my next book with David Weber set in his Honor Harrington series. We have no title for the novel yet, but it's the direct sequel to CAULDRON OF GHOSTS.

Return to Honorverse