Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

Where (or whether) to put criticism on Uncompromising Honor?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Where (or whether) to put criticism on Uncompromising Honor?
Post by Frank777   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:39 am

Frank777
Midshipman

Hello,

I am a first time visitor here. I am a longtime avid reader of the Honor verse books, and as such was looking forward to the new book "Uncompromising Honor".

The problem I have is that the book disappointed me, for various reasons. Possibly some things I dislike are not as solid points as I think ... possibly reasons bug others as well.

Is there a way to express my points? Is this forum ok? Should I send it to Mr. Weber? Is criticism taken seriously (on this forum or by mr. Weber), can I thus in a minor way maybe help keep the universe he so well created, fun [for me]?

Or should I rather accept what develops and see for myself whether I keep following this universe, or move on?

Advice is welcome.

Kind regards,
Frank
Re: Where (or whether) to put criticism on Uncompromising Ho
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:29 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Welcome to the forums. Have a virtual drink at the bar on us.

This is a fine place to put critisms, and complements - if you have read many of kzt's complaints (or on the Safehold thread) Dilandu's comments, there has certainly been plenty of criticism of RFC's work.

Feel free to start a new topic with you concerns - be prepared to accept criticism of your criticism, but it SHOULD be done civilly - we do actually try to act like responsible adults here - mostly.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Welcome!

FallsfromTress has the right of it. Feel free to put forth your concerns with any of the Honnorverse works, we may not agree with you and may try to change your mind but most will be polite about it.

runsforcelary is David Weber's Forum name(shorted often to RFC) and he may weigh in personally depending upon what new book requires his attention. RFC loves discussing his work but he rarely gets the chance to address concerns due to his unceasing efforts to give us more to enjoy.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Adding to what everyone else said, you may wish to jump back and look at the previous comments since April before posting - many have already expressed concerns and complaints over UH, and David (or others) have already commented on them.

In the past, some new posters have felt ganged up upon when their comments are rejected and immediately set upon by multiple posters who won't accept their idea.

This is not because the new posters don't have a point (valid or not), but because many "original" ideas and comments have previously been made multiple times by various users - some discussions reoccur on an almost monthly basis. Many of these points have been discussed and argued to the edge of near exhaustion by members, only to have it resurrected the next day by a user with an "new" idea who just missed weeks of bitter discussion on the topic.

That being said, we really do welcome new blood and fresh points of views. Jump in, the water's fine.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Frank777   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:06 pm

Frank777
Midshipman

Thank you for your replies! Disagreement is fine. Replies from Mr. Weber are obviously also appreciated, but I can imagine several reasons why replying may not or rarely happen.

Ok, here goes.

- An overabundance of use of a stylefigure "he would not this... not that... not such... but even then it will be such." This kind of reasoning easily takes half a page or more, and its exhausting to read when it happens a lot. Which it does, especially the latest novels.

- Too many characters, approached too little in-depth. I know there are several series happening, and the author seems to wish all characters involved everywhere. I have not read or remember all spin-offs, and personally I dont wish to keep a thesaurus to keep track of everyone. But even when using so many names is acceptable, I wish more depth in the main characters, in particular in Honor Harrington... to me, that was not the case. YMMV, obviously.

- Way too many description/build up pages. Eventually, what makes a book flow to me is about points of conflict and how they are resolved due to the characters particular strengths (or, the strength is shown by the solution). There are way too many non-resolving descriptive pages of otherwise interesting characters. Another reception? Another meeting without a conflict to sort out? Is anything new introduced, preferably in a succinct manner? I do care in a minor way, but less and less.

The above points made me skip or read diagonally many pages for 3/4 of the book.

I will put myself on even more shaky ground by the following statement:
I call this the 'too large series' syndrome. I observe in many series that the first books are generally wellpaced, succinct and fun. Editors have cut away the chaff. Later books in the series then become too long, less interesting, because there is much less good editing of books.
In all fairness, from my pov. this series suffers less from this problem than most. The last few Honor books, however, tend to shift in this direction (for me).

Then, the end of the book.

- The logic of 'we approached Mesa, they bombed themself, nobody believes us, we have a big problem' does not hold for me. For several books we see that Manticore does the right thing, experiences gigantic spinning of the news by sollies, and moves on. When bombs are not set off by Manticore, and when people claim to be part of the Mesan plot without knowing anything of the terror actions earlier experienced, it clearly means the enemy has laid more false tracks than expected. No need to panic, just tell it as it is, as done before. The despair shown is out of character. Who cares what others spin ? What does this mean, now, for us Manties? Can we find cracks in the patterns? What can we learn?

- The moment I read that many important people from Manticore are collected in a new place, the "Greyson assassination" or whatever it is called immediately comes to mind. And surprise, they die. How unexpected.
What eludes me, however, is the logic. There is evidence of very strong spying and new techniques to enslave people up to the point of immediately making them unwilling assasins. So far, only Manticore is capable, due to their allies the 'cats, to find them, and so they do on Manticore, succesfully.

So *WHY* (in capitals, italic, bold and printed in font size 100) would you ever put your important people outside this safety umbrella for a large conference? You bring the outside folks in, never the reverse. Chances are that the three huge bombs made would never have been put there on Manticore. If we can consider this kind of options nowadays with terrorism on the whole planet earth, how much more would Manticore consider such safety after decades of war and experience?

- The 'silver bullet' of Mesa to take out the new system. So no new research is done on detecting spider drives, the weakness of the new "Manty" system (Sherlock) is never considered... Mesa can think of this approach, the experienced Manticore scientists would never think up the same, even when they did this themselves (Honor when she attacked while using the Apollo missile system)? I guess this is theoretically possible, but I find it rather unlikely. The moment a new weapon system is thought up, some people are tasked to consider how to deal with it from the pov of the enemy.

- It is unimaginable for me that starfaring people would make space-capable hubs unable to evacuate quickly. If million of people would cause trouble, at least a happy few should be able to go away fast. The idea that places are allowed to exist where evacuation takes 45 minutes to get out ... no, I doubt that would be done in a society where people clearly act as smart as possible. Nobody would ever allow such death traps in space. Problems existing due to large numbers and capacity problems, yes. Not for small numbers of people.

I imagine that mr. Weber wanted to get back to a situation that few people have to get together to sort the trouble, a smart ploy in a series like this. The way chosen however feels unlogical to me. And that diminishes the book to me.

I am curious about your replies. Forgive me for any bad grammar, English is not my native language.

Kind regards,
Frank
Last edited by Frank777 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Post by Frank777   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Frank777
Midshipman

Theemile wrote:Adding to what everyone else said, you may wish to jump back and look at the previous comments since April before posting - many have already expressed concerns and complaints over UH, and David (or others) have already commented on them.

Oh! I thought, since the book is out new, that content discussions would be new too. I checked the upper posts. Clearly not far enough :(. Ah well. If I re-iterate old points, feel free to tell me.

That being said, we really do welcome new blood and fresh points of views. Jump in, the water's fine.

;)
Post by Theemile   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Frank777 wrote:
Theemile wrote:Adding to what everyone else said, you may wish to jump back and look at the previous comments since April before posting - many have already expressed concerns and complaints over UH, and David (or others) have already commented on them.

Oh! I thought, since the book is out new, that content discussions would be new too. I checked the upper posts. Clearly not far enough :(. Ah well. If I re-iterate old points, feel free to tell me.

;)

A pre-release (called an E-arc) came out in the Spring. David has been dropping chapters of the book here since Last Thanksgiving. The E-Arc and the snippets were not from the final copy and we gave some input at the time which might have changed the final.

To some of us, the book is old news; we read the early version and the new version - Others avoided the forum for months since the earc to avoid spoilers - others still limited their participation to avoid spoilers, but were still active.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:43 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I pointed out years ago that combining your naval base, your manufacturing, and your main break in bulk shipping center together was totally insane from a security point of view. You can’t screen the cargo from an 8 mt freighter, whose cargo bay is large enough to lose a Nimitz class carrier in, in any reasonable fashion. The cargo doesn’t even have to be designated for you, it just needs to unloaded so they can get to the cargo you need. So I’ll just park this 10mx10mx40m container of very stable lithium hydroxide here for a few minutes, I’ll be right back...

But yeah, we have been talking about the series for some time.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:I pointed out years ago that combining your naval base, your manufacturing, and your main break in bulk shipping center together was totally insane from a security point of view. You can’t screen the cargo from an 8 mt freighter, whose cargo bay is large enough to lose a Nimitz class carrier in, in any reasonable fashion. The cargo doesn’t even have to be designated for you, it just needs to unloaded so they can get to the cargo you need. So I’ll just park this 10mx10mx40m container of very stable lithium hydroxide here for a few minutes, I’ll be right back...

But yeah, we have been talking about the series for some time.

How many Stations have died that way? New Tuscany, Mesa, Beowulf,..... and that is just those killed "onscreen"....

Wait, all were killed by the MAlign. Do I see a pattern?
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:08 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Frank777 wrote:Hello,...

<snip>

I am a first time visitor here.

Kind regards,
Frank

Welcome! Since you're new here, as well as some others, I've noticed, you might want to take a look at the links in my signature. Those are official images and videos, made by me in my capacity as 3D modeler for BuNine.

Previous discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5940

Return to Honorverse