Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests

What's your biggest regret in the Honorverse?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What's your biggest regret in the Honorverse?
Post by clancy688   » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:34 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

So...

...what is the thing which irks you most in the whole tale. Which made you hope that it wouldn't have happened or would have happened differently? :)

For me it is...

Cordelia Ransom's death being off-scene. I mean, I hated that bitch with a passion. I wanted to see (read) her being killed by Honor's people. To read how realizes that she's lost.

Instead... we just get Tepes coming apart. No raging Cordelia Ransom on the bridge as the power goes out. No fearful Ransom in her cabin as the ship shudders as the fighting sparks explosion after explosion. Not a peep on her after Tremaine's "treason".

It wasn't as if this great evil overbitch had gotten justice served. Instead she'd just been... spirited away. :(

So what are your grievances? ^^
Re: What's your biggest regret in the Honorverse?
Post by ywing14   » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I don't know if it really counts as a regret but I really liked McKeon so I was very disappointed by his death. Though his selection makes complete sense to me.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The softballing of the mentor trope.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by kzt   » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:05 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The MA plot to seize the wormhole terminus and half-completed forts should have worked. It would have produced a much more interesting dynamic.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:56 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

clancy688 wrote:So...

...what is the thing which irks you most in the whole tale. Which made you hope that it wouldn't have happened or would have happened differently? :)

For me it is...

Cordelia Ransom's death being off-scene. I mean, I hated that bitch with a passion. I wanted to see (read) her being killed by Honor's people. To read how realizes that she's lost.

Instead... we just get Tepes coming apart. No raging Cordelia Ransom on the bridge as the power goes out. No fearful Ransom in her cabin as the ship shudders as the fighting sparks explosion after explosion. Not a peep on her after Tremaine's "treason".

It wasn't as if this great evil overbitch had gotten justice served. Instead she'd just been... spirited away. :(

So what are your grievances? ^^

Tremaine's treason? - Scotty was a prisoner - Harkness was the individual who arranged for the breakout - and presumably could be accused of treason (or at least backstabbing the benevolent Havenites who granted him sanctuary after his capture)
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Somtaaw   » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

clancy688 wrote:Cordelia Ransom's death being off-scene. I mean, I hated that bitch with a passion. I wanted to see (read) her being killed by Honor's people. To read how realizes that she's lost.

Randsom didn't really have much/any time, and she wasn't in the chain of command. From the moment the breakout happened, the only 'alarm' was the moment they'd sprung Honor; and it only took like 45 minutes tops to get her to the boatbay. I'd have to re-read the relevant chapters to be absolutely certain, the overall breakout (from Harkness killing the sleeping SS goons, to the pinnace was 2-3 hours since he spent so long sneaking through the ventilation).

Randsom would, at best, have gotten a very brief "we may have some trouble" report. Later on, when the boat bays started blowing, she'd probably start to harassing the StateSec captain about "what in the hell is going on?!?!" Then the pinnance brings its wedge up, the entire ship blows up within a second. She wouldn't even have had time to blink, let alone scream when the ship went up.

You can headcannon her throwing a hissy-fit "what do you mean there may be a problem?!?! Get me my prisoners and don't you dare let even one of them escape or I swear you're going to be killed too!" sort of rants, and then cut off mid-scream since she died without knowing what happened.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

kzt wrote:The MA plot to seize the wormhole terminus and half-completed forts should have worked. It would have produced a much more interesting dynamic.

How long would it take for a destroyer or courier to carry a Code Zulu back to Manticore and have a squadron of SDs pop through the wormhole, vs. the ex-Solly BCs taking up station or laying a minefield on the wormhole?
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:44 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Fox2! wrote:
kzt wrote:The MA plot to seize the wormhole terminus and half-completed forts should have worked. It would have produced a much more interesting dynamic.

How long would it take for a destroyer or courier to carry a Code Zulu back to Manticore and have a squadron of SDs pop through the wormhole, vs. the ex-Solly BCs taking up station or laying a minefield on the wormhole?

Or more likely the vastly under strength defenses at the terminus fighting a Pyrrhic defense and the Monicans not even managing to take the terminus to begin with.

Or, unless the Monicans translated down at very close range, something big and scary being able to double-transit from the San Martin or Basilisk pickets. One podnought in range to beat the Monicans to the terminus would have ruined their entire day. Sure, the podnought would have an equally bad day from all the missile pods but that doesn't get the Monicans into a position to hold the terminus.
Post by dscott8   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:07 pm

dscott8
Commodore

The senseless death of Miranda LaFollett. I really wanted to see her meet a charming guy and find some happiness.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:

It depends. Minimum likely time would be a destroyer sitting near the terminus with a hyper gemerator at Routine Readiness. That would probably take 10 minutes or so to bring the generator to rull readiness plus another minute to 90 seconds to jump once the button was pressed. So if we assume the ship was close enough to get in the lane and be in possition we're looking at probably 11-12 minutes to jump out. (absolute best case would be a dispatch boat parked in the exit lane with it's hypergeneror fully ready. That would take 30 seconds for the hyper generator to cycle, but probably still a minute or two total to move into the exact possition)

Home fleet response time would depend on where it was. If there were SD(P)s parked near the Junction they could start coming back through within 30-40 minutes from getting notified. (I'm assuming they wouldn't be right on top of the exit and that for safety and maintenance reasons they'd also not have their much larger hyper generators fully charged) So likely best case response would be almost an hour.

If Home Fleet is all in-system then it'd take 20 hours or so for them to run out to the Junction in normal space, and still probably 3-5 if they ran clear of the RZ and microjumped towards it (depending on exactly where they were in-system)

So anywhere from an hour to a day. But even the hour, if the BC's did it right, would be enough time to get set up to give a punishing welcome to any response forces. Uless you knew they'd blown the approach (like the Thunderbolt pounce on the Basilisk Terminus) it's damned risky to try to run reenforcements through the a wormhole in response to an attack on it's terminus.

My personal bet is that if the gambit had succeeded you'd have seem a Monica squared fight with most of the 10th fleet shpis already within the Talbott Sector consolidated to retake the wormohle long before relief forces from Manticore could make the long trek through hyper. The obsolete SD flagship fides again!

Return to Honorverse