Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 58 guests

Uncompromizing Honor *spoilers* Catarphact Performance

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Uncompromizing Honor *spoilers* Catarphact Performance
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

I'm going back through UC and I'm now quite confused about the numbers RFC was throwing around for Cataphracts. They don't seem to align with previous books.

The original numbers that Duckk posted here way back when I was flailing around trying to make sense of the original Cataphracts flight profile was “Cataphracts go 467 KPS^2 for 180 seconds, then 961 for 75”. (Or 47,600 gees and 98,000 gees if you prefer to think of them that way).

We know they've improved. By SoV (eARC) the flight 2 versions 1st stage was up to 561 KPS^2; and we're told that Filareta's Caraphracts had been able to do about 35 KPS^2 less; so 526 KPS^2.

We're also told the Flight 2s had a continuous powered range of something over 1/2 of 30 million km. Though that in and of itself doesn't track since even if the 2nd stage hasn't improved if the 1st stage endurance is still 180 seconds the range would be up to 19.3 million km.

But moving one. In UC we're told
“Sir, they’re showing a lot more accel than they should. The missiles we analyzed from Eleventh Fleet maxed at seven-zero-one KPS squared; these birds are coming in at over eight hundred and forty.”
Lessem inhaled sharply, remembering his earlier thoughts about Solarian innovation and productivity.
“Assuming the drive endurance on both stages is the same as on Filareta’s, that gives them a powered envelope of almost thirty-two million klicks,” Wozniak continued. “That drops their ballistic phase to barely four million klicks and roughly twenty-four seconds, which makes their total flight time only two-seven-niner seconds.”

So now SoV is saying Filareta's 11th fleet Cataphracts could do 526 KPS^2 @50% but UC is saying 701 KPS^2. (And the range given in ART seems to imply Duckk's original 467 or less)

But if we ignore the interbook confusion and just look at the latest improved cataphracts we're also told that they give "almost thrity-two million km" continuous powered range. Even 840 KPS^2 alone isn't enough for that - if the 2nd stage didn't improve I get 27.6 million km from rest after 255 seconds. If we assume their CM drive endurance on the 2nd stage didn't improve from 75 seconds then the acceleration would have to jump from the relatively anemic 960 KPS^2 to the shocking 2450 KPS^2 -- utterly annihilating the drive performance of the RMN's Mk31 CM's 1274 KPS^2!

Though at least that insane improvement would eliminate the oddity of a Cataphract with the best 1st stage SDM drive we'd seem married up to an (admittedly improved endurance) anemic CM drive for the 2nd stage.

OTOH the 2nd stage of a Hasta is supposed to be the stock 2nd stage of a Cataphract. And the Hasta's we saw launch had that 2nd stage "Acceleration niner-six-one KPS squared. Impact seven-five seconds!”" 961 KPS^2 is the original anemic v1 Cataphract CM drive performance. Why would the SLN's new secret weapon be using 2 generations old drives if the improved Cataphracts had much better ones.

Basically I can't make heads or tails out of what the Cataphract performance is supposed to be.

(And while not a Cataphract confusion, at Beowulf RFC had "“Missile launch—multiple missile launches! Range at launch two-zero-five-point-two million kilometers. Acceleration four-five-one-point-zero-seven-six KPS squared.”"
"The first launch had gone ballistic six minutes and 65,766,900 kilometers after launch."
Except at 451-ish KPS^2 65.7 million km is the range after nine minutes. It's only 29.2 million km after six minutes. Oops)
Re: Uncompromizing Honor *spoilers* Catarphact Performance
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:25 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

I feel I should clarify that despite this one issue I overall liked the book - and the missile performance doesn't significantly detract from the well written combat scenes.
I just got way down this rabbit hole when I went back to try to update my cheat-sheet of missile performance numbers.
Re: Uncompromizing Honor *spoilers* Catarphact Performance
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:I feel I should clarify that despite this one issue I overall liked the book - and the missile performance doesn't significantly detract from the well written combat scenes.
I just got way down this rabbit hole when I went back to try to update my cheat-sheet of missile performance numbers.

Characters constantly discussed tweaks to the missiles. They were second generation and had those tweaks. Didn't make all that much difference.

Return to Honorverse