Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

[SPOILERS] UH is a great read

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
[SPOILERS] UH is a great read
Post by bert953   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:25 am

bert953
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Have to say UH is a great read. I am almost done with my 1st read but wanted to write this now before I finished it.

I’m up to the point where HMS Duke of Cromarty is on a mission (cant wait to find out what’s so urgent). As usual, the storyline is excellent as well as the character development. Thankfully, there is a minimum of unnecessary filler (unlike in Shadow of Victory) that does not advance the story. The wealth of interesting characters (even if they are only present for a very short time) and backstories is a hallmark of David’s writing, such as in A Rising Thunder, one of my favorites in the series.

Couple of observations that are intended not to be spoilers:

When David read the chapter (Youtube video) about Firebrand meeting Clean Killer as his control I really anticipated good things to come from them. I have not been disappointed so far and I’m waiting to see how they add value to the GA’s efforts to peel back the onion.

So far (aside from treecat detection) no one can identify, never mind thwart nanotech assassins. If an infected individual could be captured and rendered unconscious, then hooked up to life support, could that overcome the nanotech assassin’s effectiveness?

The Detweilers’ are storing up tremendous bad Karma in multiple star systems as their nefarious schemes come to fruition. They have tremendous hubris and obviously don’t believe that “pride goeth before a fall” could apply to them! They believe they are “all that and a bag of chips” and that no one will ever find out it was us; despite the fact that the cats outta the bag and things are unraveling. Their willingness to initiate multiple mass-casualty events is unbelievable. I live in NY where there are 20 Million people in the tri-state area. I’ve been having a hard time wrapping my mind around Alpha, Beta & Gamma. I just read it last night and this morning I woke up with it on my heart and have to remind myself…. they are fictional characters in in novel, fictional characters - fiction!!
Re: [SPOILERS] UH is a great read
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:41 am

TFLYTSNBN

What I want to know is are there any good shower scenes.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

bert953 wrote:Have to say UH is a great read. I am almost done with my 1st read but wanted to write this now before I finished it.

I’m up to the point where HMS Duke of Cromarty is on a mission (cant wait to find out what’s so urgent). As usual, the storyline is excellent as well as the character development. Thankfully, there is a minimum of unnecessary filler (unlike in Shadow of Victory) that does not advance the story. The wealth of interesting characters (even if they are only present for a very short time) and backstories is a hallmark of David’s writing, such as in A Rising Thunder, one of my favorites in the series.

Couple of observations that are intended not to be spoilers:

When David read the chapter (Youtube video) about Firebrand meeting Clean Killer as his control I really anticipated good things to come from them. I have not been disappointed so far and I’m waiting to see how they add value to the GA’s efforts to peel back the onion.

So far (aside from treecat detection) no one can identify, never mind thwart nanotech assassins. If an infected individual could be captured and rendered unconscious, then hooked up to life support, could that overcome the nanotech assassin’s effectiveness?

The Detweilers’ are storing up tremendous bad Karma in multiple star systems as their nefarious schemes come to fruition. They have tremendous hubris and obviously don’t believe that “pride goeth before a fall” could apply to them! They believe they are “all that and a bag of chips” and that no one will ever find out it was us; despite the fact that the cats outta the bag and things are unraveling. Their willingness to initiate multiple mass-casualty events is unbelievable. I live in NY where there are 20 Million people in the tri-state area. I’ve been having a hard time wrapping my mind around Alpha, Beta & Gamma. I just read it last night and this morning I woke up with it on my heart and have to remind myself…. they are fictional characters in in novel, fictional characters - fiction!!

Usually, part of the nanotech programming is a suicide or suicidal action. Once the programming is done - it is supposedly done. Assumedly (and we haven't seen a survivor, so I could be wrong), should the final program be thwarted, the programmed person should in time shake it off and say something to the amount of "What just happened", and be find afterwards.

However, it is impossible to detect if someone has been programmed until the trigger sets the program off (nor what that trigger may be, so there should be no way to put someone on ice (figuratively or literally) to avoid the trigger.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Greentea   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Greentea
Commander

TFLYTSNBN wrote:What I want to know is are there any good shower scenes.

Ugh. Get your mind out of the gutter, please. I do not remember any good shower scenes. You know better than to go down this track again
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by tlb   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

bert953 wrote:When David read the chapter (Youtube video) about Firebrand meeting Clean Killer as his control I really anticipated good things to come from them. I have not been disappointed so far and I’m waiting to see how they add value to the GA’s efforts to peel back the onion.

-- snip --

The Detweilers’ are storing up tremendous bad Karma in multiple star systems as their nefarious schemes come to fruition. They have tremendous hubris and obviously don’t believe that “pride goeth before a fall” could apply to them!

Despite RFC talking about what an interesting character Firebrand is, we do not see him do anything in the field. I believe this is setting up the next book with Eric Flint, because UH leaves him at the end in the company of Cachet and Zilwicki on Mesa charged with tracking down evidence of the Onion.
I am also hoping that next book will have scenes of the Detweilers discussing how their plans have missed expectations so far, except in damage to Beowulf. Wondering what they will do next.
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:35 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

tlb wrote:
bert953 wrote:When David read the chapter (Youtube video) about Firebrand meeting Clean Killer as his control I really anticipated good things to come from them. I have not been disappointed so far and I’m waiting to see how they add value to the GA’s efforts to peel back the onion.

-- snip --

The Detweilers’ are storing up tremendous bad Karma in multiple star systems as their nefarious schemes come to fruition. They have tremendous hubris and obviously don’t believe that “pride goeth before a fall” could apply to them!

Despite RFC talking about what an interesting character Firebrand is, we do not see him do anything in the field. I believe this is setting up the next book with Eric Flint, because UH leaves him at the end in the company of Cachet and Zilwicki on Mesa charged with tracking down evidence of the Onion.
I am also hoping that next book will have scenes of the Detweilers discussing how their plans have missed expectations so far, except in damage to Beowulf. Wondering what they will do next.

Agreed that the next book will most likely be about the Mesa investigation. Or at least the next Weber - Flint collaboration.

The problem here is that they haven't started adjusting to the way The Plan has hit a major speed bump. The Beowulf atrocity was a full-throated scream of outrage on losing Albrecht. It had nothing to do with the major plan.

Either Benjamin or Colin is going to have to step up to replace Albrecht as the prime mover and integrator, and someone else is going to have to take their place, either as High Military Panjandrum or Chief Spook.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:15 am

TFLYTSNBN

Greentea wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:What I want to know is are there any good shower scenes.

Ugh. Get your mind out of the gutter, please. I do not remember any good shower scenes. You know better than to go down this track again

You need to read IN THE SERVICE OF THE SWORD.

Great shower scene.

Weber writes 'em, i just read them, again, again andagain.

I certainly wish that people on this board had a sense of humor sophisticated enough to appreciate self parody.

Return to Honorverse