Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 59 guests

Languages, Frontier Fleet and the dissolution of the SL

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Languages, Frontier Fleet and the dissolution of the SL
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:38 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

phillies wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I got the impression that it was mostly the pre-warshawski sail colonization that was isolated groups moving far away, and out of contact with, from everybody else.

I suspect the majority of colonies were from the later period where you do have ongoing (though infrequent) contact with neighbors via tramp freighters. That would tend to keep languages from drifting as much - especially once Common because the trade and technical language of the majority of the known universe.

(Certainly any system under OFS's or a transtellar's thumb seems likely to be forced to adopt Common as their official language to make the job of the outsiders ordering them about easier)

Any system in which the libraries, paper and video, are intact is likely to have a language that tends to stop changing. Yes, there are occasional changes; over my seven decades I have noted several, and they grate in my ear.

E.g. Latin, Sanskrit
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:20 pm

TFLYTSNBN

One develops presumptions about the national origins and languages spoken

I keep waiting for a Havenite Admiral to taunt an RMN Admiral by shouting "I wave my naughty bits at you, you English Kanuggets!"

This followed up by a catapault assault using a house then a cow as projectiles.
Post by stewart   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:08 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

TFLYTSNBN wrote:One develops presumptions about the national origins and languages spoken

I keep waiting for a Havenite Admiral to taunt an RMN Admiral by shouting "I wave my naughty bits at you, you English Kanuggets!"

This followed up by a catapault assault using a house then a cow as projectiles.

----------------

You forgot the splats of Cow Pies -- Cheers to Monty Python

-- Stewart
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:18 pm

TFLYTSNBN

stewart wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:One develops presumptions about the national origins and languages spoken

----------------

-- Stewart

TV mini series MASADA.

In one scene the Romans march up in formation to intimidate the Jews. The News respond with catapults launching animal skins full of feces.

Not as much fun as SHAKA ZULU.
Post by stewart   » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:07 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

One develops presumptions about the national origins and languages spoken

This followed up by a catapault assault using a house then a cow as projectiles.[/quote]

----------------

-- Stewart[/quote]

TV mini series MASADA.

In one scene the Romans march up in formation to intimidate the Jews. The News respond with catapults launching animal skins full of feces.

Not as much fun as SHAKA ZULU.[/quote]

---------

Nor as humorous as Monty Python & the Holy Grail

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse