Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 43 guests

(Spoilers) UH questions and discussion

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
(Spoilers) UH questions and discussion
Post by zigmar   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:30 pm

zigmar
Midshipman

Hi everybody! My first post here, so forgive me if say stupid things :)

Finished reading (listening) to UH a few days ago and few questions bother me, maybe somebody here can shed some light:

1) Does GA fleet showing up in full strength in Sol system mean that GA left Beowulf, Manticore and possibly Yeltsin completely uncovered, especially given Mycroft system not only demonstrated to be vulnerable but was actually taken completely offline in Beowulf? I remember that it was mentioned that the fleet was waiting for Mycroft to be activated to serve as a primary system defense so the fleet could be freed up from its defensive role in core GA systems.

2) Why Honor was sent as a fleet CO for an extremely important and sensitive operation "Nemesis" when she was clearly in emotionally unstable condition and ticking bomb waiting to explode with potentially disastrous consequences? And it is not just the reader who is aware of her distressed state because he or she peek into her head, no, everybody around her is aware of the fact as well. Including queen Elisabeth who sends her personal yacht in a desperate attempt to pacify her. If everyone knows she isn't in her best, why give her the role in the first place?

3)Does the success and ease of MA taking out Mycroft control stations in Beowulf with more or less the same hardware as they used in Operation Oyster Bay means that no actual defensive doctrine and capabilities were ever developed and implemented to prevent another Yawata Strike accident? And if MA wanted, they could pull another Oyster Bay-like attack on any of core GA system again with no problem whatsoever? I don't see a reason why "Silver Bullets" they used to destroy a fire control stations in Beowulf could not be used to attack habitats or infrastructure installations directly, given their stealth, powerful grazers and ability to be delivered in-system completely unnoticed.
Re: (Spoilers) UH questions and discussion
Post by Theemile   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

zigmar wrote:Hi everybody! My first post here, so forgive me if say stupid things :)

Finished reading (listening) to UH a few days ago and few questions bother me, maybe somebody here can shed some light:

1) Does GA fleet showing up in full strength in Sol system mean that GA left Beowulf, Manticore and possibly Yeltsin completely uncovered, especially given Mycroft system not only demonstrated to be vulnerable but was actually taken completely offline in Beowulf? I remember that it was mentioned that the fleet was waiting for Mycroft to be activated to serve as a primary system defense so the fleet could be freed up from its defensive role in core GA systems.

2) Why Honor was sent as a fleet CO for an extremely important and sensitive operation "Nemesis" when she was clearly in emotionally unstable condition and ticking bomb waiting to explode with potentially disastrous consequences? And it is not just the reader who is aware of her distressed state because he or she peek into her head, no, everybody around her is aware of the fact as well. Including queen Elisabeth who sends her personal yacht in a desperate attempt to pacify her. If everyone knows she isn't in her best, why give her the role in the first place?

3)Does the success and ease of MA taking out Mycroft control stations in Beowulf with more or less the same hardware as they used in Operation Oyster Bay means that no actual defensive doctrine and capabilities were ever developed and implemented to prevent another Yawata Strike accident? And if MA wanted, they could pull another Oyster Bay-like attack on any of core GA system again with no problem whatsoever? I don't see a reason why "Silver Bullets" they used to destroy a fire control stations in Beowulf could not be used to attack habitats or infrastructure installations directly, given their stealth, powerful grazers and ability to be delivered in-system completely unnoticed.

1) the GA didn't bring everything, just lots of stuff. There are still defensive formations.

2) many people here have stated that.

3) The Silver Bullet was just a long term surveillance drone, that fired a standard MAlign Graser Torp. Yep, everyone is currently vulnerable to Graser torp attacks, especially with a Silver Bullet launcher. All that is needed is for a freighter to chuck one out the hold, just like at Beowulf.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Duckk   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

See runsforcelery's post halfway down:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9464&p=262714
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

welcome! first virtual beer is on the house.

intresting questions, other can no doubt answer better but i'll take a shot.

1) I doubt it. as i understand it Mycroft was getting priority in Beowulf and then being setup in the other systems. so I doubt anywhere outisde of the binary system and Beowulf have the full system up and running yet.

2) why was she Honor sent despite the obvious grief etc? because she was their best and while it was clear she was emotionally wounded no-one realised just how far gone she was. They wondered but she has proven time and again her ability to get the job done no matter what her feelings were. the yavht was already in beowulf and convenient for use as it was used to transport most of the manty delegation to the conference, and with not being a proper warship it likely had less shuttles and spare crew to help with the SAR efforts which were still ongoing.

3) it is going to interesting to see how they counter the "silver bullets", but don't forget all they took were long distance FTL relays. the core of the Mycroft system was not damaged at that time. No system is 100% perfect and the fact that the "bullets" were dropped by freighter will make it difficult to protect against, unless you transport everything via your own ships and that has its own risks, like suborned crews or hijacking.
Post by tlb   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:12 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:3) it is going to interesting to see how they counter the "silver bullets", but don't forget all they took were long distance FTL relays. the core of the Mycroft system was not damaged at that time. No system is 100% perfect and the fact that the "bullets" were dropped by freighter will make it difficult to protect against, unless you transport everything via your own ships and that has its own risks, like suborned crews or hijacking.

Apollo was still working, but Mycroft could not communicate; so the missiles had to be manually assigned. So despite Mycroft being undamaged, it could not function; which is a definite shortcoming.
The "silver bullets" used the spider drive, so did any survive to be analyzed?
Post by kzt   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:15 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:The "silver bullets" used the spider drive, so did any survive to be analyzed?

Nope. They are pretty careful about this.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:22 pm

TFLYTSNBN

zigmar wrote:Hi everybody! My first post here, so forgive me if say stupid things :)

Welcome aboard.

Posting stupid things is my job.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:27 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Is Abby Hearnes on the Rolland DD that is using such innovative tactics to snipe SLN BCs?
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Is Abby Hearnes on the Rolland DD that is using such innovative tactics to snipe SLN BCs?

No. She's out in the Talbott Quadrant.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:18 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

We know that Emily scheduled a clinic visit to have another child. We don't know if Allyson Harrington helped Emily beyond ensuring the child could respond to regen therapies. One suspects that since Emily knew she was dying, she may ask Allyson to incorporate the DNA of both Emily's spouses into her child. Her interest in Honor's descriptions about Raoul and Katherine's potential mind voices suggests that possibility intrigues Emily. Even if Emily doesn't choose that option, Honor was considering another child.

Will either child incorporate Emily's,Honor's and Hamish's combined DNA, including the Meyerdahl Beta mods?

Also, Allyson and Alfred are having more kids that will be approximately Raoul and Kate's ages. That suggests NextGen Honorverse will have between 4-6 (if twins arise) related characters.

Finally, the Alpha Star Lines have incorporated the Meyerdahl beta mods into their own designs. That suggests to me that Isobel Bardasano and her line may well have the same "demon" that Alfred and Honor combat. The sort of insanity/instability described as inherent in the Bardasano line aligns well with either Alfred's demon or The Salamander unchecked by a fundemental compassionate and loving nature.

Furthermore, assuming that the Detweilers have a similar mod, their response to Albrecht's death also jives with a demon freed from the constraints of a compassionate nature. The extremes that Jack McBryde rebelled against suggests that the Harrington Demon permeates the MAlign and encourages the responses resulting in the Beowulf attack, the Yawata strike and Operation Buccaneer. Heck, it drove the MAlign into their current grand plan instead of a centuries long PR campaign to gently persuade the rest of the galaxy.

Return to Honorverse