Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Retirement Age in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Retirement Age in the Honorverse
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:11 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:How long until Abby Hearnes is commanding her own ship?
I would be satisfied to see her as a Commander with her own destroyer. Rolland class, of course, with internal magazines full of Mark-16Gs toting a few dozen Flatpack pods loaded with MDMs, out hunting SLN SDs.

We'll next see Abby as a captain taking over her second ship, HMS Princess Adrienne with Helen as XO, some schmuck with connections as ATO and Katherine and Crown Princess Ester Ruth Stephanie Elizabeth Winton on their middy cruise.

Raoul, Solange Terekov and Javier Tourville-Henke are aboard an IAN cruiser patrolling the ex-protectorates on their middy cruise.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
I would be satisfied to see her as a Commander with her own destroyer. Rolland class, of course, with internal magazines full of Mark-16Gs toting a few dozen Flatpack pods loaded with MDMs, out hunting SLN SDs.

We'll next see Abby as a captain taking over her second ship, HMS Princess Adrienne with Helen as XO, some schmuck with connections as ATO and Katherine and Crown Princess Ester Ruth Stephanie Elizabeth Winton on their middy cruise.

Raoul, Solange Terekov and Javier Tourville-Henke are aboard an IAN cruiser patrolling the ex-protectorates on their middy cruise.

Nah, In 2 more tours, or about 5 years, Abby will probably switch back to Grayson service and get XO on a DD or CL. she will get that after TO or ATO (or both) on something alot bigger than a Roland. After a little more schooling, she will get her own DD or CL.

The big question is what Navy will Raoul join?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
PeterZ wrote:We'll next see Abby as a captain taking over her second ship, HMS Princess Adrienne with Helen as XO, some schmuck with connections as ATO and Katherine and Crown Princess Ester Ruth Stephanie Elizabeth Winton on their middy cruise.

Nah, In 2 more tours, or about 5 years, Abby will probably switch back to Grayson service and get XO on a DD or CL. she will get that after TO or ATO (or both) on something alot bigger than a Roland. After a little more schooling, she will get her own DD or CL.

The big question is what Navy will Raoul join?

Abby is taking the slot just as a favor to Steadholder Harrington to watch over her daughter and goddaughter. Raoul is defintely GSN and Katherine is RMN any other child will be a tossup.
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:23 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Nonsense, chia. Honor will let her kids shine. She will let them do their jobs because they are certainly as capable as she is. Yes, she has experience but so do most of the people leading the GA since her extended sabbatical. There are good officers leading fleets. There are good Intel guys gleaning information. There are good diplomats wrangling gators in the galactic swamp. There are politicians keeping the crooked ones in check.

The kids will have to grow up and face adult challenges or forever see themselves as mere ha downs of their mom. Honor noes that better than anyone and will step aside to let them shine. The next arc won't be about Honor at all. As it should be.

Of course she'll let her kids shine. But they'll be shining outside of Home Fleet, just like she did. You've got to have the head and experience, gained with age, to become the heralded head honcho of Home Fleet. I would expect Honor to plow that field for a long time to come. Sebastian D'Orville might still have been head honcho of Home Fleet had he not been killed.

Again, give her one or two decades to knit one purl two, offscreen.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Nonsense, chia. Honor will let her kids shine. She will let them do their jobs because they are certainly as capable as she is. Yes, she has experience but so do most of the people leading the GA since her extended sabbatical. There are good officers leading fleets. There are good Intel guys gleaning information. There are good diplomats wrangling gators in the galactic swamp. There are politicians keeping the crooked ones in check.

The kids will have to grow up and face adult challenges or forever see themselves as mere ha downs of their mom. Honor noes that better than anyone and will step aside to let them shine. The next arc won't be about Honor at all. As it should be.

Of course she'll let her kids shine. But they'll be shining outside of Home Fleet, just like she did. You've got to have the head and experience, gained with age, to become the heralded head honcho of Home Fleet. I would expect Honor to plow that field for a long time to come. Sebastian D'Orville might still have been head honcho of Home Fleet had he not been killed.

Again, give her one or two decades to knit one purl two, offscreen.

Read. The. Book.
Post by kzt   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:08 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Read. The. Book.

You know that has never actually read any of the books, right? He just comes here to talk about what he reads on wikipedia.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Read. The. Book.

You know that has never actually read any of the books, right? He just comes here to talk about what he reads on wikipedia.

I merely suspect that is base libel rather than know it is.
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:42 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:

No. The timing doesn't work. It is likely that Abby will be a captain before Helen becomes an XO. She has shown her stuff as a TAC officer...done really well in several situations. Within a year or two she will be an XO. Possibly even less. There are a lot of ships being built.

Helen will need to put in time as a TAC officer and will have to show her stuff in peacetime, not nearly as easy.

The Harrington kids are at a minimum a decade and a half away from even going to the Academy. The other kids seem to be figments of imagination.

It will be a while before shipbuilding really slows down so promotions at first will be around. But then it will slow down. Remember that Honor had been around for many years before she got command.

Also, I would guess Abigail will get her first command with the Manties rather than Graysons. When she transfers over, it would be simpler if she were already a captain.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:41 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
PeterZ wrote:We'll next see Abby as a captain taking over her second ship, HMS Princess Adrienne with Helen as XO, some schmuck with connections as ATO and Katherine and Crown Princess Ester Ruth Stephanie Elizabeth Winton on their middy cruise.

No. The timing doesn't work. It is likely that Abby will be a captain before Helen becomes an XO. She has shown her stuff as a TAC officer...done really well in several situations. Within a year or two she will be an XO. Possibly even less. There are a lot of ships being built.

Helen will need to put in time as a TAC officer and will have to show her stuff in peacetime, not nearly as easy.

The Harrington kids are at a minimum a decade and a half away from even going to the Academy. The other kids seem to be figments of imagination.

It will be a while before shipbuilding really slows down so promotions at first will be around. But then it will slow down. Remember that Honor had been around for many years before she got command.

Also, I would guess Abigail will get her first command with the Manties rather than Graysons. When she transfers over, it would be simpler if she were already a captain.

I'm thinking Raoul and Kate start at the Island later for various reasons. The primary one being they have a strong telempathy talent they need to come to terms with. Since they are delaying any way, why not wait for QE III's granddaughter? I believe that granddaughter will be forthcoming after all the death and loss. That loss is also why the Terekov's will have their child. I suspect many people will be having children to affirm life after so much death.

Tourville and Henke are a likely pair but their children might be a tad further out. I can see Eloise and Javier having decided to store gametes just in case. So Raoul's and Solange's partner in crime may well be Javier Pritchart.

We are talking 20 years down the road here. Helen may get her first XO slot in that time. Honor had her first command after 17-18 years in service during a war preparation build up. Slowing naval expansion a bit would align things enough to make my scenario possible. Of course, Abby is due to transfer back to the GSN after this command. This would likely be Abby's second hyper capable command.
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:10 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

I'm thinking Raoul and Kate start at the Island later for various reasons. The primary one being they have a strong telempathy talent they need to come to terms with. Since they are delaying any way, why not wait for QE III's granddaughter? I believe that granddaughter will be forthcoming after all the death and loss. That loss is also why the Terekov's will have their child. I suspect many people will be having children to affirm life after so much death.

Tourville and Henke are a likely pair but their children might be a tad further out. I can see Eloise and Javier having decided to store gametes just in case. So Raoul's and Solange's partner in crime may well be Javier Pritchart.

We are talking 20 years down the road here. Helen may get her first XO slot in that time. Honor had her first command after 17-18 years in service during a war preparation build up. Slowing naval expansion a bit would align things enough to make my scenario possible. Of course, Abby is due to transfer back to the GSN after this command. This would likely be Abby's second hyper capable command.[/quote]

I don't think the Harrington Alexander kids will be delayed. The longer they are delayed the further out the next arc will be in terms of time. And RFC will want some of his characters to still be in play.

Matchmaking is fun but who knows what will happen in the future. Maybe it will be Tourville and Foraker.

Return to Honorverse