Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 71 guests

Retirement Age in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Retirement Age in the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Not sure of the actual retirement age, but Honor needs to retire. She will have 3 or 4 children when we next see her onscreen. At least 1 will have strong psych talents with a really prodigious set of physical abilities. Given Hamish's height and Honor's, Raoul will be a muscled giant with the Meyerdahl-beta mods.

Catherine will be standard human....maybe. We know Allyson played with her genetics to ensure she did not have issues regarding the ability to accept regen therapies. What else did she add into the mix? The same question can be asked regarding Emily's second child and even Honor's future children.

For that matter isn't Emily related to the QE III? Not sure if that's through the Wynton line or another line. If through the Wynton's, then the genetic mixing of genies mods will be interesting.

Bottom line is that we need to let Honor retire and let he children take up her fight. well, at least start bugging david about the next Honorverse novel.

Hey! Why is everyone trying to prematurely retire my baby!? She has over a century of time left on her clock!

Besides, she already had a vacation in Flag in Exile before Wesley Matthews had to relight a fire under her heinie!

I really don't think Honor has the kind of personality who can retire too easily. She'll lose her ever loving mind with an overactive Meyerdahl Brain.

The same way as too early a retirement drives people looney tunes twiddling their thumbs now. Honor would get into too much trouble in politics. OMG, she'll take her seat in the Lords!!!???

Or end up cutting a Key while listening to some of the skeletons. Or end up shoving the entire horseshoe straight up one of their asses.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
tlb wrote:What? Hornblower was Royal Navy, never Marines.

Weird Harold wrote:But Honor is a Colonel of Marines. For most it's purely ceremonial, but Honor is Honor.

cthia wrote:Pardon my bold.

Whaa! :o

True. But! . . .

Hornblower's exploits were many. They were also found on land. He was a natural on horseback. His swashbuckling description is well deserved. To compare and follow in his footsteps, I just thought Honor could take advantage of her Colonel of Marines title and do a little swashbuckling of her own. Down on planet.

Prompted by Weird Harold, I remembered that Hornblower had also been made a Colonel of Marines. In both cases this is symbolic of the sovereign's favor and intended to boost the salary of someone who has not made flag rank; but it is a symbolic position, not an actual appointment as a Marine. This is from chapter 3 of Field of Dishonor:
"And now, Dame Honor, it's your turn," the Queen said, and Honor straightened. "We'll take care of the formalities—including the award of a richly deserved thank you—later in the Blue Hall, but I've decided to appoint you to the rank of Colonel of Marines, as well."
Honor's eyes widened in surprise as great as Henke's. Appointment as a colonel of Marines was a way for the Crown to show special approval of a captain too junior for promotion to flag rank, and very few officers ever received the honor. It wouldn't change her actual authority in any way, but she would receive a colonel's salary in addition to her regular pay, and the appointment was an unequivocal indication of royal favor.

Honor has already swashbuckled on planet in Echoes of Honor and I think her armsmen would assist her husband in confining her to quarters if she tried to do something like that by choice.

cthia wrote:I didn't think she actually did any swashbuckling down on planet yet, but I was prepared to give her credit anyway. But not for time spent in EoH, because she didn't actually do any swashbuckling there. She mostly strategized on planet.

But in HotQ, I'll give her a little credit while on Blackbird Base, although she had to be contained.

Matter of fact, she was missing an arm wasn't she? You can't do much swashbuckling with an arm tied behind your back or just plain missing.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:36 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Hey! Why is everyone trying to prematurely retire my baby!? She has over a century of time left on her clock!

Besides, she already had a vacation in Flag in Exile before Wesley Matthews had to relight a fire under her heinie!

I really don't think Honor has the kind of personality who can retire too easily. She'll lose her ever loving mind with an overactive Meyerdahl Brain.

Because this is NOT a spoiler thread, we cannot say why; you need to end of UH to understand.

But no one thinks she will stay retired.
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:49 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:Hey! Why is everyone trying to prematurely retire my baby!? She has over a century of time left on her clock!

Because this is NOT a spoiler thread, we cannot say why; you need to end of UH to understand.

Ayup, besides she can teach tactics at Saganami Island, Haven's Naval Academy or at the Deathfang's Bane Institute for Treecat Human Integration.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:01 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:

Ayup, besides she can teach tactics at Saganami Island, Haven's Naval Academy or at the Deathfang's Bane Institute for Treecat Human Integration.[/quote]

She's not going to be all that idle. She has her Steading on Grayson and her property at Manticore. She will be raising kids.
She might be having a couple more. And she will be advising the First Lord of the Admiralty (not to mention others).
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, let Honor retire to her second and third careers; politics governing and motherhood. If her overactive mind needs it she can teach naval sneakiness.
Post by Vince   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:I didn't think she actually did any swashbuckling down on planet yet, but I was prepared to give her credit anyway. But not for time spent in EoH, because she didn't actually do any swashbuckling there. She mostly strategized on planet.

But in HotQ, I'll give her a little credit while on Blackbird Base, although she had to be contained.

To see Honor swashbuckling (albeit on a space station), read the story Let's Dance by David Weber in the In Fire Forged anthology.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:

To see Honor swashbuckling (albeit on a space station), read the story Let's Dance by David Weber in the In Fire Forged anthology.

On a space station suffices as well. Swashbuckling is swashbuckling. I thought I read all of the anthologies, but I don't recall that, so just maybe I missed one. Anyway, thanks Vince.

Post by Theemile   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:36 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Yeah, let Honor retire to her second and third careers; politics governing and motherhood. If her overactive mind needs it she can teach naval sneakiness.

For the next 200 years, her mere existence will be Elizabeth's diplomatic tool. When things turn against Elizabeth in the foreign affairs department, she will start discussing recalling The Salamander to command a fleet at random times during the conversation.

Moods will change quickly.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ENUFF OF THIS RETIRE HONOR CRAP PEOPLE!

Let me explain it, AGAIN, to all of you who have a screw loose on this matter. A major screw, a few cogs and sprockets too! As far as I am concerned.

My particular "monomania" with Honor and the fact that I don't want her retired is contained inside the exact same ball of wax as I don't want her killed off by the author . . .

Brief detour: I just can't imagine our heroine surviving everything the Peeps, Cordelia Ransom, Pavel Young, Hauptman, her own government and that damn Demon Murphy threw at her, only to be knifed in the back by her own creator.

Anyway, BOTH reasons are because THIS IS THE HONORVERSE. There is NO Honorverse without Honor. Without Honor, it's only the Verse, as far as I am concerned. And if she had been killed off by the author, would have been two birds with one stone as he'd have taken me out as a reader as well.

I wish you people would stop speaking for everyone else. I can't get enough of Honor and I'm darn proud of it. The woman has prolong and you all want to retire her before she's even managed to burn through all of her preprolong years! Gees! There are many series with much longer running main characters. Go pick on them! You ever heard the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it?" Well guess what . . .

IT AIN'T BROKE!

The Honorverse without Honor is like Cornflakes without the milk. Sick of Honor? Read Safehold. But for goodness sakes, stop pissing on my parade!

Return to Honorverse