Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Retirement Age in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Retirement Age in the Honorverse
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:01 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Just to flick some feces at someone who became indignant by my querry about a possible shower scene in Uncompromising Honor i would suggest that:

Given third generation Prolong, the careers of prostitutes could continue well into their centigenarian decades.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Dauntless wrote:Tremaine may actually be quite wealthy.

If Scotty is, so is Sir Horace.

IIRC, Honor set up an investment assistance program to help all of the Basilisk crew (and continued the practice for all subsequent subordinates) so any of Honor's protoges are likely well off compared to others in the same rank.

Yea, all of Honor's crew should have a leg up. Sir Horace's wallet should have begun to grow since he stopped flogging Marines thus shedding his many lawsuits. LOL

On a serious note, with the Verge opening up, Skydomes should really grow, and Honor's inner circle of retirees can always seek new frontiers to conquer within her company. There certainly won't be any smuggling or embezzling with Horace around. There's always investment opportunities within Skydomes as well.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:57 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Let's not discount a lateral movement within the Navy. Honor could teach for a very conceivable 70+ yrs. It's been done here on Earth.

And on the civilian side don't rule out people plateauing and making similar lateral moves. The chief technical guy who forms a start-up to design things the right way - the way he can't convince his current bosses to do.

Sure some people may just totally switch careers and start over at basically entry level. But most would likely jump into related fields, or go form start-ups working on a new approaches in their original field. (Or heck, "retire" for a decade or so and enjoy travel, family, hobbies, etc before getting back up to speed and reentering their original field)

-------------

I suspect there will be many with multiple career lines --
Some by choice -- Master Ti (Robert Ti from "From the Highlands" -- Sensei to Helen Zilwicki)
Some "not by choice" -- Thomas Bachfisch --Military career then a Merchant career (with a Navy Intel side job)
Some REALLY not by choice -- Harriet Benson-Dessouix

Valid points by several -- Fleet Loaners to new, independent star-nations, RMN/GSN/RHN retirees as advisors to those star-nation defense ministries, Ambassadors to those new star-nations, advisors to new local industries, etc

-- Stewart
Post by kzt   » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:31 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

New careers that only work for a select 0.2% of the population are not a compelling argument that it's common.
Post by saber964   » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:48 am

saber964
Admiral

Hears a thought, headhunters/recruiters from verge startup navies like Mobius Meyers and Swallow. Or the RMN will send military assistance officers and advisors.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:22 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:Hears a thought, headhunters/recruiters from verge startup navies like Mobius Meyers and Swallow. Or the RMN will send military assistance officers and advisors.

A real lot of navy people are techs of one sort or another. If you can handle really good tech, you can find civilian jobs or start up your own business.

And I would bet there would be a good pension system for naval personnel. Long lives also mean a lot of time for compound interest to build.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Retirement from several careers seems a must in this neck of the woods.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:32 am

TFLYTSNBN

Assuming that interest rates are positive, a person would have to work a limited time to build a retirement fund for life.

Assume $100,000 per year wage.

Save 25% via eetirement fund and/or purchasing a home.

After 100 years you have saved
100 years x $25,000 / year = $2.5 million.

If rate of return on investment is 4%, you earn $100,000 per year for life.

Note I didnt compound interest on your savings.
Post by Vince   » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Assuming that interest rates are positive, a person would have to work a limited time to build a retirement fund for life.

Assume $100,000 per year wage.

Save 25% via eetirement fund and/or purchasing a home.

After 100 years you have saved
100 years x $25,000 / year = $2.5 million.

If rate of return on investment is 4%, you earn $100,000 per year for life.

Note I didnt compound interest on your savings.

It's not just interest rates that have to be positive. It's real interest rates* that have to be positive.

* Real interest rate = Actual interest rate - inflation rate.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by saber964   » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:15 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:Retirement from several careers seems a must in this neck of the woods.

It's done today, especially by members of the military. It's called double or triple dipping. Join up at 18 yrs retire after 20 years at age 38 then go to work for the government doing essentially the same jobs for more pay then retire a second time after another 20-25 years at age 58-63 and then draw two retirement checks.

Return to Honorverse