Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 32 guests

Retirement Age in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Retirement Age in the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Do you people even realize that you are guilty of the exact same thing those anti-Honor assholes in the Manticoran government are guilty of? Wanting to retire Honor. Now, many of her so called fans want to jump on the bandwagon too. WELL GET OFF!

What did Honor ever do to any of you that you, you, you'd want to join the company that essentially wants to give her a PINK SLIP at less than 18 yrs of age. After all she's done for all of you. Thank God she wasn't counting on any of your votes at her trial. She'd've been hung out to dry and banished to her bottle.

%^&^&%$# ^%^&^&%^ . . .

^&%^ &^&^%# %^%^%8!

Suffering succotash people, aren't you all better than Pavel Young?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:19 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Do you people even realize that you are guilty of the exact same thing those anti-Honor assholes in the Manticoran government are guilty of? Wanting to retire Honor. Now, many of her so called fans want to jump on the bandwagon too. WELL GET OFF!

What did Honor ever do to any of you that you, you, you'd want to join the company that essentially wants to give her a PINK SLIP at less than 18 yrs of age. After all she's done for all of you. Thank God she wasn't counting on any of your votes at her trial. She'd've been hung out to dry and banished to her bottle.

%^&^&%$# ^%^&^&%^ . . .

First off, Honor is older than 18. We've been doing 25th anniversary retreads of her books.

Second, no one wants an end to Honor. The only one who could decide that is named David Weber.

But as a character, SHE wants to retire. But as long as there are more books in the Honorverse, OK. Remember that about two out of three books in the series NOW have focused on other characters usually leaving Honor in a chapter or two.

^&%^ &^&^%# %^%^%8!

Suffering succotash people, aren't you all better than Pavel Young?
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:First off, Honor is older than 18. We've been doing 25th anniversary retreads of her books.

That ball was hit waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over your head.

Proportionally speaking, Honor is only 16, but I round it off to 18, since you can't enter the military at 16.

Honor doesn't know what she wants. She needs her creator to tell her.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Do you people even realize that you are guilty of the exact same thing those anti-Honor assholes in the Manticoran government are guilty of? Wanting to retire Honor. Now, many of her so called fans want to jump on the bandwagon too. WELL GET OFF!

First of all, what trial are you only talking about? She came close to facing one in Flag in Exile, but from my memory the only trial that came to a decision was in absentia by Haven over killing the "freighter" crew in OBS.
Second, if you have read UH then you know what we are talking about and no one expects Honor to stay on the sidelines. People are correct about her current high rank precluding direct action (although UH does her commanding a fleet action), but the author is free to present more stories of her exploits when lower ranked.
Meanwhile we can hope for more action by Cachet and Zilwicki while waiting for Honor to step back to center stage.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:53 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

First of all, what trial are you only talking about? She came close to facing one in Flag in Exile, but from my memory the only trial that came to a decision was in absentia by Haven over killing the "freighter" crew in OBS.
Second, if you have read UH then you know what we are talking about and no one expects Honor to stay on the sidelines. People are correct about her current high rank precluding direct action (although UH does her commanding a fleet action), but the author is free to present more stories of her exploits when lower ranked.
Meanwhile we can hope for more action by Cachet and Zilwicki while waiting for Honor to step back to center stage.

And as for Military action, Honor is now mounted to Elizabeth's wall, in a red box behind glass that says "Break in Case of Emergency." Any time any foreign dignitary starts to get too full of themselves, Elizabeth's eyes will dramatically swivel to the red box on the wall, as a reminder that the Salamander is but some broken glass away.

"Yes, she will be a Steadholder/Politician/Teacher/Parent for the next several years (because she wants to do that, not because anyone is forcing her), but eventually Benjamin or Elizabeth will have to break the glass, and the deathride will have begun again. Though given Honor's current toybox, she won't be the one on the deathride.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

Theemile wrote:And as for Military action, Honor is now mounted to Elizabeth's wall, in a red box behind glass that says "Break in Case of Emergency." Any time any foreign dignitary starts to get too full of themselves, Elizabeth's eyes will dramatically swivel to the red box on the wall, as a reminder that the Salamander is but some broken glass away.

"Yes, she will be a Steadholder/Politician/Teacher/Parent for the next several years (because she wants to do that, not because anyone is forcing her), but eventually Benjamin or Elizabeth will have to break the glass, and the deathride will have begun again. Though given Honor's current toybox, she won't be the one on the deathride.

This bandwagon I can surely jump on. Matter of fact, give me a season pass for this bus ride.

Kudos Theemile . . .

For a time in a future novel when the Salamander realizes that if she wants something done she'll have to do it herself. Like when dealing with malignant forces in the future who decide to reveal themselves prove to be a bit much for everyone else involved and they are being handed their heads by the bushel.

Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What is the retirement age of a Monarch, Beth? Constantly fighting a battle against the Opposition is just as exhausting as dodging ordnance. Her early retirement might not be the fragrance of flowers or the taste of peaches and cream to the Star Empire.

Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:37 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Nonsense, chia. Honor will let her kids shine. She will let them do their jobs because they are certainly as capable as she is. Yes, she has experience but so do most of the people leading the GA since her extended sabbatical. There are good officers leading fleets. There are good Intel guys gleaning information. There are good diplomats wrangling gators in the galactic swamp. There are politicians keeping the crooked ones in check.

The kids will have to grow up and face adult challenges or forever see themselves as mere ha downs of their mom. Honor noes that better than anyone and will step aside to let them shine. The next arc won't be about Honor at all. As it should be.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:41 am

TFLYTSNBN

PeterZ wrote:Nonsense, chia. Honor will let her kids shine. She will let them do their jobs because they are certainly as capable as she is. Yes, she has experience but so do most of the people leading the GA since her extended sabbatical. There are good officers leading fleets. There are good Intel guys gleaning information. There are good diplomats wrangling gators in the galactic swamp. There are politicians keeping the crooked ones in check.

The kids will have to grow up and face adult challenges or forever see themselves as mere ha downs of their mom. Honor noes that better than anyone and will step aside to let them shine. The next arc won't be about Honor at all. As it should be.

How long until Abby Hearnes is commanding her own ship?
I would be satisfied to see her as a Commander with her own destroyer. Rolland class, of course, with internal magazines full of Mark-16Gs toting a few dozen Flatpack pods loaded with MDMs, out hunting SLN SDs.
Post by kzt   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
How long until Abby Hearnes is commanding her own ship?
I would be satisfied to see her as a Commander with her own destroyer. Rolland class, of course, with internal magazines full of Mark-16Gs toting a few dozen Flatpack pods loaded with MDMs, out hunting SLN SDs.

Long enough that SLN SDs will have full up MDMs and highly effective missile defenses.

Return to Honorverse