Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 11 guests

And on the third... Spoilers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Posts: 2423
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:54 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

tlb wrote:I was hoping for a new CD with the book; only have through Mission of Honor in searchable form, because I have not purchased the e-Arc versions.



JohnRoth wrote:The story I heard on that is that Amazon didn't like it; Been had to decimate the old free library to get their books on Amazon.


Louis R wrote:Unlikely, since Eastern Front was years before the Amazon deal.

Nor was the Free Library a sticking point in and of itself. Problem with the Library was that any book in it would automatically be free on Amazon - they do automated price matching - when authors were still getting a fair bit of revenue from those books on the Baen site [strangely, a lot of people like to go back and buy a book they've already read for free, just because]. Since there was no way to work around the price matching, and the whole point of the exercise was to start getting revenue via Amazon and the other big-box ebook outlets from the hordes of readers who were never able to figure out that they could get a better deal buying direct, most writers decided to pull most or all of their works from the Library at least until they could cobble together a Second Edition that could go up for sale while the original was in the Library.

Actually, according to Toni, the CDs were dropped because, like the Free Library, they had served their purpose, which was to promote ebooks and grow the market. Marketing money is now being spent on other things, and I wouldn't expect to see it done again, except maybe as an anniversary issue for WebScriptions, or something of similar significance. And the 25th Anniversary of WebScriptions is still 6 years off.


That's more or less what I'd heard - Amazon refused to suspend their price matching, so the Free Library had to go. You'll notice that the new Free Library only applies to ebooks - all the dead tree versions on it require payment (or at least the ones I've checked.)
Top
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by tlb   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:56 pm

tlb
Captain of the List

Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 am

I thought I read that RFC would still be doing collaboration books: such as with Eric Flint. UH leaves Harahap, Cachet and Zilwicki on Mesa looking for clues. Also we were not treated with anything featuring the Detweilers after their scheme to destroy the League, leaving the Renaissance Factor in control, seems to have fallen far short.
So can we hope that there will soon (for some level of soon) be another in the Torch series With Flint, starring the trio (instead of the duo)?
Top
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by tlb   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:00 pm

tlb
Captain of the List

Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 am

Anyone else think it strange that after the beginning section on stripping grasers out of the captured Solarian fleet, that nothing ever came of that?
Top
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by phillies   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:23 pm

phillies
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1840
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Worcester, MA

tlb wrote:Anyone else think it strange that after the beginning section on stripping grasers out of the captured Solarian fleet, that nothing ever came of that?


That's for the *next* book.

And it gave lots of background info.
Top
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:56 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1150
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

phillies wrote:
tlb wrote:Anyone else think it strange that after the beginning section on stripping grasers out of the captured Solarian fleet, that nothing ever came of that?


That's for the *next* book.

And it gave lots of background info.


Note the Afterward in the UH book. Weber wrote that he assumed a 20 year gap so that the young Saganami officers would be the captains of the ships for Honor's kids.

That certainly implies that we will find out in the next book, written somewhere in the future after numerous of those boring books on that boring planet put out by another publisher, at least one or two more in the Sword of the South Series, maybe a joint effort with Eric in the 163x universe and a couple of other things, we might get the book we all really want.
Top
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by Vince   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:08 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1565
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:43 pm

tlb wrote:Anyone else think it strange that after the beginning section on stripping grasers out of the captured Solarian fleet, that nothing ever came of that?
phillies wrote:That's for the *next* book.

And it gave lots of background info.
ldwechsler wrote:Note the Afterward in the UH book. Weber wrote that he assumed a 20 year gap so that the young Saganami officers would be the captains of the ships for Honor's kids.

That certainly implies that we will find out in the next book, written somewhere in the future after numerous of those boring books on that boring planet put out by another publisher, at least one or two more in the Sword of the South Series, maybe a joint effort with Eric in the 163x universe and a couple of other things, we might get the book we all really want.

Actually, I'm looking forward to reading those other stories too.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Top
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:44 am

isaac_newton
Commodore

Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:37 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Vince wrote:
tlb wrote:Anyone else think it strange that after the beginning section on stripping grasers out of the captured Solarian fleet, that nothing ever came of that?
phillies wrote:That's for the *next* book.

And it gave lots of background info.
ldwechsler wrote:Note the Afterward in the UH book. Weber wrote that he assumed a 20 year gap so that the young Saganami officers would be the captains of the ships for Honor's kids.

That certainly implies that we will find out in the next book, written somewhere in the future after numerous of those boring books on that boring planet put out by another publisher, at least one or two more in the Sword of the South Series, maybe a joint effort with Eric in the 163x universe and a couple of other things, we might get the book we all really want.

Actually, I'm looking forward to reading those other stories too.


Me too! :-)
Top
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by phillies   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:58 am

phillies
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1840
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:43 am
Location: Worcester, MA

I would have enjoyed the scene in which the SLN CNO advises the Gang of Five Mandarins that the missile attack on that final target included several remarkably late detonations, the death toll was THAT WOULD BE TELLING, and it appeared possible that the Grand Alliance was going to be slightly annoyed with the Solarian League.
Top
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by kzt   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 9666
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

phillies wrote:I would have enjoyed the scene in which the SLN CNO advises the Gang of Five Mandarins that the missile attack on that final target included several remarkably late detonations, the death toll was THAT WOULD BE TELLING, and it appeared possible that the Grand Alliance was going to be slightly annoyed with the Solarian League.

Well, that didn’t happen. Check the timeline. Fleet had hype red out previous to the operation. They had pretty much no idea what the hell they were talking about. It’s also like the US blaming the Israelis for 9/11.
Top
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:20 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1150
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

kzt wrote:
phillies wrote:I would have enjoyed the scene in which the SLN CNO advises the Gang of Five Mandarins that the missile attack on that final target included several remarkably late detonations, the death toll was THAT WOULD BE TELLING, and it appeared possible that the Grand Alliance was going to be slightly annoyed with the Solarian League.

Well, that didn’t happen. Check the timeline. Fleet had hype red out previous to the operation. They had pretty much no idea what the hell they were talking about. It’s also like the US blaming the Israelis for 9/11.


The military almost always lies. During WWII, there were specialists to debrief individual pilots to confirm kills. But there were a lot of reports that were nonsense.

No difference in this universe. The pols do what the pols do and if they control the media, few people know about disasters.
Top

Return to Honorverse