Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 37 guests

And on the third... Spoilers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
And on the third... Spoilers
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:25 am

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

Now that everyone has taken Tuesday off to consult the dead trees, had a good meal, and slept on it...

My first (of many) ponderings is which of the Ghost Hunters is a MAlign deep-cover agent insinuating themselves in the counter-conspiracy while helping to hide inner onion layers via self-disposing spies.

My second was that the self-disposing spies might have been...unwise. If nothing else it pretty much confirms that a conspiracy exists, that it's playing around with self-replicating DNA-coded nanotech, and shows how thoroughly you were infiltrated (so you can figure out what information the Bad Guys might have). It also saves on the expense/drama of a trial, which is probably not a small thing.

More ponderings to come. What about all of you?
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Kael Posavatz wrote:Now that everyone has taken Tuesday off to consult the dead trees, had a good meal, and slept on it...

My first (of many) ponderings is which of the Ghost Hunters is a MAlign deep-cover agent insinuating themselves in the counter-conspiracy while helping to hide inner onion layers via self-disposing spies.

My second was that the self-disposing spies might have been...unwise. If nothing else it pretty much confirms that a conspiracy exists, that it's playing around with self-replicating DNA-coded nanotech, and shows how thoroughly you were infiltrated (so you can figure out what information the Bad Guys might have). It also saves on the expense/drama of a trial, which is probably not a small thing.

I must say that I very much enjoyed the book :-)

I managed to get confused for a while by the two new weapon systems from the MA - the 'Silver Dart' and the Hasta as delivered to the SLA... I was thinking that they were one and the same until the final attack on Beowolf! :oops:
Last edited by isaac_newton on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:53 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Kael Posavatz wrote:Now that everyone has taken Tuesday off to consult the dead trees, had a good meal, and slept on it...

Probably none. If the MAlign had caught sight of the Ghost Hunters, they'd have eliminated them with extreme prejudice.

Kael Posavatz wrote:My second was that the self-disposing spies might have been...unwise. If nothing else it pretty much confirms that a conspiracy exists, that it's playing around with self-replicating DNA-coded nanotech, and shows how thoroughly you were infiltrated (so you can figure out what information the Bad Guys might have). It also saves on the expense/drama of a trial, which is probably not a small thing.

They weren't supposed to come crawling out of the woodwork for a while. Jack McBryde and Herlander Simöes hauled it into the light, but the idea of a galactic conspiracy is still so unlikely that most people aren't going to believe it for a good long while.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:16 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:

Probably none. If the MAlign had caught sight of the Ghost Hunters, they'd have eliminated them with extreme prejudice.

Kael Posavatz wrote:My second was that the self-disposing spies might have been...unwise. If nothing else it pretty much confirms that a conspiracy exists, that it's playing around with self-replicating DNA-coded nanotech, and shows how thoroughly you were infiltrated (so you can figure out what information the Bad Guys might have). It also saves on the expense/drama of a trial, which is probably not a small thing.

They weren't supposed to come crawling out of the woodwork for a while. Jack McBryde and Herlander Simöes hauled it into the light, but the idea of a galactic conspiracy is still so unlikely that most people aren't going to believe it for a good long while.

Even before the suicides, it was clear that the police forces knew something was wrong. They could have gotten the information from assorted nasty means and learned what was happening. This just made it simple. Actually, another benefit was that it ensured that those who survived were on the right side. Talk about a double edged sword. The bad guys die, the good guys get verified as good.

Another point: the direct attack on Earth that people such as myself have been talking about for a long time WAS the best answer. Had GA ships just went to a lot of different systems, they might have taken down more ships but the Sollies could have recovered.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I really hate referring to books as the dead tree version. Sounds so blase about the damage we do to our ecosystem. OTOH, perhaps it is perfect because of that reason, it offends, thus encourages discourse, thought and or reflection, with or without ones self.

I like the petrified version. Poor tree was shaking in its boots at the frightening sound of a chainsaw.

Q:
How Many Trees Does It Take to Make a Textbook?

A:
Quick Answer
The number of trees required depends on several factors, including the type of paper and the sizes of the tree and book. To estimate, an average tree provides approximately 8,333 sheets of copy-type paper. Using this formula, one tree can provide 16.6 copies of a 1,000-page book.

It is estimated that to publish all the printed books sold in the US annually requires 30 million trees. Over 160 publishers, representing 40% of the market share, have developed environmental policies or signed agreements related to responsible paper use. The growing prevalence of eBooks is also greatly reducing the use of trees.

Almost forgot I had a question. . .

When is the ban on spoilers lifted? When do the spoilers spoil? When is it open season on the book?

Can an author be sued for extensive paper cuts, nose bleeds from punching yourself in the face and damaged household items from flinging a book? I haven't donned my cammies and went on the hunt for UH yet, just asking - in anticipation. I'll try to corner and collect my prey today.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:12 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

cthia wrote:I really hate referring to books as the dead tree version. Sounds so blase about the damage we do to our ecosystem. OTOH, perhaps it is perfect because of that reason, it offends, thus encourages discourse, thought and or reflection, with or without ones self.

I like the petrified version. Poor tree was shaking in its boots at the frightening sound of a chainsaw.

Q:
How Many Trees Does It Take to Make a Textbook?

A:
Quick Answer
The number of trees required depends on several factors, including the type of paper and the sizes of the tree and book. To estimate, an average tree provides approximately 8,333 sheets of copy-type paper. Using this formula, one tree can provide 16.6 copies of a 1,000-page book.

It is estimated that to publish all the printed books sold in the US annually requires 30 million trees. Over 160 publishers, representing 40% of the market share, have developed environmental policies or signed agreements related to responsible paper use. The growing prevalence of eBooks is also greatly reducing the use of trees.

Almost forgot I had a question. . .

When is the ban on spoilers lifted? When do the spoilers spoil? When is it open season on the book?

Can an author be sued for extensive paper cuts, nose bleeds from punching yourself in the face and damaged household items from flinging a book? I haven't donned my cammies and went on the hunt for UH yet, just asking - in anticipation. I'll try to corner and collect my prey today.

One month from the availability of the official hardcover on this site, six months from the availability of the paperback on the Bar. The reason for the difference is that everyone here can be assumed to be a fan of the Honorverse, or at least David, while people at Baen's Bar are fans of many different authors.
Post by Maldorian   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:47 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

And I have just read the second half of "Shadow of Victory" and you have alredy the next book in your hands. The german publisher haven´t even announced when they publish the last book in german language....

Are there more or less story lines as in shadow of victory? Was a little confusing, the jump between all the rebellions and all the manticorian/solarian combat groups in "shadow of Victory".
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:41 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

SOV suffered from RFV trying to fill in all the holes before the finale.

UH doesn't jump around anywhere near as much and flows a lot smoother.
Post by jontom   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:33 pm

jontom
Ensign

Additionally, as RFC said at the signing on October 2nd, it suffered from not receiving one more edit pass, due to health and time pressure issues. He had two big tomes to get out and this was just prior to the doctor ordering 2 months of complete rest.

Last year was a major wakeup call of the "you can't keep up 800,000 words a year anymore without severe consequences" variety.

Dauntless wrote:SOV suffered from RFV trying to fill in all the holes before the finale.

UH doesn't jump around anywhere near as much and flows a lot smoother.
Post by Charybdis   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Charybdis
Captain of the List

[SPOILER] It is hard to keep track of the damages but one that I'd like to know is this... Are Scotty & The Chief amongst the Living or the Dead or do we know? With so many and so much carnage, I cannot find except for that single mention in this book about Honor knowing that Scotty is not HERE to moderate her vengeance as he was at Grayson. :?
-----

What say you, my peers?

Return to Honorverse