Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

Metric and how not to use it.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Metric and how not to use it.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:13 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I under stand that RFC doesn't really under stand metric, I lived through the conversion times in Canada and in Canada we still use Miles and think of Km as a type of distant similar to a mile, even though it isn't.

a Km is 1000 metres. a Mile is 1 mile.

14,000,000 Km is 14,000,000,000 metres or 14 Giga metres or 14 Gm.

1,000 Km is 1,000,000 metres or 1 Mega metre or 1 Mm

1,000,000,000 Km is 1,000,000,000,000 metres or 1 Tera metre or 1Tm.

The speed of light is ~186,000 miles per second or 300 Mm per second.

Metric is based on the metre for distance. and 10's 100's and 1000's or many 1000's or 1000th of a metre not a Kilo metre.
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Reminds me of a conversation on this very forum, beginning here.

The metric system just isn't appropriate for hand-to-hand combat.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Metric and how not to use it.
Post by Annachie   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:11 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Reminds me of a conversation on this very forum, beginning here.

What do you mean Cthia.

It's almost perfect for it.

An arm is about a meter from shoulder to fingertip, making a meter an instinctive measure

But I get the mish mash of units things. Australia has been metric my entire life, but I still tell people so and so's place is a couple of miles down the road.

As for patchwork, which I do, inches just works so well.
6 inches is just so much more divisable than 15cm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:

What do you mean Cthia.

It's almost perfect for it.

An arm is about a meter from shoulder to fingertip, making a meter an instinctive measure

But I get the mish mash of units things. Australia has been metric my entire life, but I still tell people so and so's place is a couple of miles down the road.

As for patchwork, which I do, inches just works so well.
6 inches is just so much more divisable than 15cm.

I have a sister who's a vet. When dealing with a mare's pregnancy she oftentimes has to immerse her arm clean up to the shoulder. So, horses seem to like the metric system too. Don't think they'd go for a foot.

Annachie, I resisted touching this with a ten-foot pole. But if you give me an inch, I'll take a mile.

It's intuitive you prefer it that way. In all my life I've never had a girl ask me how many cms I'm working with. Inches floats boats. Women hate the metric system on the third date.

So that's why American men are such hits with the ladies.

Men should never use the metric system on a date. Always offer to foot the bill. Even if she plays along for the sake of decency and offers to split it, don't give an inch. If you want her to give an inch later.

Virgins initially love the metric system. But quickly abandon it after fumbling with it the first time.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Men, it's a double standard that the girls we usually take home to meet the folks are the girls who practice — let's say — the metric system, on the first few dates. Or d&ys. Or weeks. Or months.

"She didn't budge a MILIMETER!"

Post by Annachie   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:14 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Funny thing for the evening.

In Netball, when you guard someone, you are supposed to be 3 ft away from them.
I tell my girls, and their team mates, that as a general rule if you can punch your opponent in the face then you are too close :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by jtg452   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:52 am

jtg452
Captain of the List

The metric system just never really caught on in the US in everyday life. The effort in the '70's to start a gradual change over was a complete bust. All it succeeded in doing was confusing small children. Sort of like the 'new math' craze of the same period did.

About the only piece of the metric system that can be found regularly in everyday life in the US is the 2 liter soft drink bottle. Inches, ounces, feet, yards, pounds and miles are the measurements of everyday life. The only impact is that most Americans have figured out a way to translate from the metric system when necessary.
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Funny thing for the evening.

In Netball, when you guard someone, you are supposed to be 3 ft away from them.
I tell my girls, and their team mates, that as a general rule if you can punch your opponent in the face then you are too close :)

:lol:

Tailgaing and tripping over one foot, swallowing the other. :oops:

Europeans should have far more balance, they can never trip over their own feet.

Post by Kael Posavatz   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:16 am

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

jtg452 wrote:About the only piece of the metric system that can be found regularly in everyday life in the US is the 2 liter soft drink bottle. Inches, ounces, feet, yards, pounds and miles are the measurements of everyday life. The only impact is that most Americans have figured out a way to translate from the metric system when necessary.

Not true.

The NRA and gun manufacturers have teamed up to edumacate Americans on how metric can be used to describe linear distances.

and the DEA has found metric mass to be very useful in prosecuting drug offenses. (Americans have problems with both fractions and decimals. Grams are conveniently small enough that they can be expressed in whole numbers even for minute quantities).
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:21 am

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

I have to say that as far as I'm aware both Newton and pound-force have been equally absent in hand-to-hand combat scenes.

That said, I personally have found metric measuring devices to be no more inadequate (for this admittedly not-intended-use) than imperial measuring devices. :D

Return to Honorverse