Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Metric and how not to use it.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Metric and how not to use it.
Post by Relax   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:51 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:IIRC in the metric system there are 1000 mils in a circle, but most people still used 360 degrees.

As an aside.

The French only count up to sixty-nine, 70 is sixty-ten, 80 is four-twenties and 90 is four-twenties-ten :? :?

Something to do with there being 60 minutes in an hour I believe.

I uh, knew the English language was screwed up, but dang... And the French Bitch about English? You have got to be kidding me, they can't even count... So much for the "noble language"..... At least the Espanol hablas/speaking world can count without taking their socks off. Unfortunately Espanol speaking world can't swear properly :twisted: If you can't swear properly, does it even count :o ?? How are you supposed to live? There are a few long long phrases that are quite nice, but Damn, by the time you say one of them, English got off a good handful of colloquial truth bombs.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

LMAO.

From my niece, who's miffed at me at the mo about a certain post in the ramblings thread . . .

If you buy a pair of shoes, one shoe SI and one shoe metric, you can learn to toe the line.

Define: toe the line.

To conform to an established standard or political programme.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

From about 50 years ago repairing the gearbox and transfer case for my father's old Landrover, we found SAE, Whitworth, BSF (British Standard Fine), and metric bolts.
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Using both Metric fasteners and SAE rasteners has a price. You should see my double width Craftsman tool chest and cabinet set.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The fun is in trying to marry the two. Ever tried to repair a foreign car with SI tools? They almost work.

Hey, the doohickey almost works on the thingamajig!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 am

TFLYTSNBN

George J. Smith wrote:IIRC in the metric system there are 1000 mils in a circle, but most people still used 360 degrees.

As an aside.

The French only count up to sixty-nine, 70 is sixty-ten, 80 is four-twenties and 90 is four-twenties-ten :? :?

Something to do with there being 60 minutes in an hour I believe.

The French have to take their shoes off to count past ten.
To count past twenty, the French have to pull their pants down, then they can count only to twenty-and-one-half.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Currency is a tool and a standard of measure if not a measure of standards. Yet it is not standardized.

The dollar vs the Euro - SI vs metric.

Is the problem the lack of reliable tools to measure standards of living and weight of currency?

Post by Daryl   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

That was the problem with the Euro zone. They adopted a uniform currency, but not uniform rules.

cthia wrote:Currency is a tool and a standard of measure if not a measure of standards. Yet it is not standardized.

Is the problem the lack of reliable tools to measure standards of living and weight of currency?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Relax wrote:PS> Land navigation should be same as nautical..... Knots.

PPS. Darned Babylonians... we still use base 60. Why 360 degrees.....
2π radians == 360 degrees is okay; you want a circle nicely divisible by 3 and 4. And by coincidence the year is about 360 days. But using 60 for the subdivisions of the degree ... no! Scrap the minutes and seconds, and use tenths, hundredths, etc. of degrees.

And the meter should have originally been defined as 1/9M of the distance from pole to equator, not 1/10M. Then a degree of latitude would be 100 km, and the knot would be 1 km/hr, usable on land and sea.
[/quote]

Uh, before that, you have to get rid of seconds, minutes, hours and redefine into 10 hours/day, either 10 minutes or 100 minutes/hour, and either 10s or 100 seconds/minute. And if 10minutes, 10 seconds are used, then you will need to make up a new time name at power of 10 past seconds. Probably would not happen. So, 10h, 100min, 100seconds. Problem, 10 hours/day doesn't work well and probably would have to turn that into 20 hours/day.

This changes definition of kilometer by the way.... as that is defined by light speed/second. Definition of second just changed...

Right now there are approximately 85,000seconds in a day.
60*60*24.

New "day" would be 100*100* either 10hours or 20 hours, so either 100,000 seconds/day or 200,000 seconds/day. Either way, kilometer is getting shorter, or MUCH longer, if someone kept definition of meter the same and made up something past seconds. If 10 hour day, then kilometer would be ~1/7th shorter than currently. If 20 hour day, a kilometer would be ~4.5/7ths shorter, or roughly a "foot", a MUCH more useable number as it now would approximately be the length of your foot... :twisted:

A mile would become 1000 new "feet", so all of our "speeds" would increase and people would have larger ego's as they are now moving so much "faster"... :twisted:

NO, circles do not need to be divisible by 3. 4 only. For quadrants. 100 degrees works just fine in that case. 25 degrees/quadrant and 100minutes/degree and 100seconds/minute.

I believe the French tried it in the 18th century but too many things changed and it turned into mass confusion.[/quote]

Not quite It will be a Day deci day centi Day milli Day the other way Deca Day Heca Day Kilo Day...
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Currency is a tool and a standard of measure if not a measure of standards. Yet it is not standardized.

Not really true. Both are decimal.

Of course, the value of each keeps changing, but who needs perfection?
Post by wyrm   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:09 am

wyrm
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

The real problem with the metric system is that there is no poetry in it. Which would you rather hear?

"Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;"

or

"Full metre nine point one four four thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;"

Alternatively

"Give him an inch and he'll take an ell"

or

"Give him twenty five point four millimetres and he'll take one point one four three metres"

So why would any sane writer discard the poetry of imperial measurements for the mundane ugliness of the metric system?

Return to Honorverse