Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 158 guests

Metric and how not to use it.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Metric and how not to use it.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:To clarify

SI units are metric based

The old units are referred to as Imperial units.

Just saying :mrgreen:

Just to confuse thing further, US 'Imperial' units are NOT the same as UK/British Imperial units.

Forex, the afore mentioned Imperial Gallon is 4.45 Liters, a US Gallon is 3.8 Liters.

A US Pint is 16 fluid ounces, an Imperial Pint is 20 floz.

I believe the US standards are SAE -- Society of American Engineers.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In the metric system you can't play footsies with a girl under the table.

What fun is it to tell your wife on your honeymoon to put her meters in the air?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

American kids instinctively hate the metric system because without SI they can no longer play out in the yard.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The metric system is just another form of discrimination against black men who are born with three feet.

Post by Bill Woods   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:I under stand that RFC doesn't really under stand metric, I lived through the conversion times in Canada and in Canada we still use Miles and think of Km as a type of distant similar to a mile, even though it isn't.

a Km is 1000 metres. a Mile is 1 mile.

14,000,000 Km is 14,000,000,000 metres or 14 Giga metres or 14 Gm.
[snip]
The speed of light is ~186,000 miles per second or 300 Mm per second.

Metric is based on the metre for distance. and 10's 100's and 1000's or many 1000's or 1000th of a metre not a Kilo metre.
This. And acceleration should be measured in multiples of 1 m/s^2, not of 9.8 m/s^2.

Jonathan_S wrote:The pitcher's plate is 60 feet, 6 inches (18.39 meters) away from the rear point of home plate [though the MLB must have missed a couple classes since those aren't equivalent numbers, 18.39 meters is only 60' 4"].

18 feet is the diameter of the mound, not its distance from the plate. (And of course regardless of imperial or metric marking out a field for for a pickup game walking off 24 adult paces from home base is plenty close enough to mark a pitchers mound)
For a pick-up game, the most important dimension is the size of the field.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Since all societies in the Honorverse descended from colonists who used starships, no one even remembers that a foot is anything other than an appendage or that a yard is anything but a vegetated area adjacent to a residence. Mile? What the heck is a mile?

IT'S GREEN.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:But yeah, it's all peripheral stuff and some of those it's just a name that happens to describe a physical characteristic; 2 liter, 9mm, 35mm, etc. People aren't measuring it or even usually thinking about the metric system when the use the name.

Pretty much everything in the US military is is metric. Artillery fire is adjusted in meters, map grids are KMs, effective ranges are in meters, etc.

Good point. That's another specialized field where metric is the norm (see also science, parts of medicine, etc)
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:I under stand that RFC doesn't really under stand metric, I lived through the conversion times in Canada and in Canada we still use Miles and think of Km as a type of distant similar to a mile, even though it isn't.

a Km is 1000 metres. a Mile is 1 mile.

14,000,000 Km is 14,000,000,000 metres or 14 Giga metres or 14 Gm.
[snip]
The speed of light is ~186,000 miles per second or 300 Mm per second.

Metric is based on the metre for distance. and 10's 100's and 1000's or many 1000's or 1000th of a metre not a Kilo metre.
This. And acceleration should be measured in multiples of 1 m/s^2, not of 9.8 m/s^2.
Do pardon my bold to call attention.

[Caveat] Unless latter unit provides better visualization. Sometimes, oftentimes, changing the unit of measure globally allows better recognition of patterns. Especially on something as covetous as a holo tank.

Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

:idea:

Wanna know where Honor gets her advantage?

She measures everything in Sphinxian feet = 3 meters.

That's why she easily puts foot up Peep ass. She has trouble in math converting it. But not executing it.

:lol:

Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:But yeah, it's all peripheral stuff and some of those it's just a name that happens to describe a physical characteristic; 2 liter, 9mm, 35mm, etc. People aren't measuring it or even usually thinking about the metric system when the use the name.

Pretty much everything in the US military is is metric. Artillery fire is adjusted in meters, map grids are KMs, effective ranges are in meters, etc.

Not everything.

SEMPI FI MO still PUT YOUR FOOT IN IT!

Return to Honorverse