Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Robert_A_Woodward and 9 guests

Maya Sector(SPOILER)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by Sigs   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Sigs
Commodore

Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:09 pm

In the books it seems like the Maya Sector's Senior civilian and military leadership has been planning to secede from the League for a long time, enough time to infect recruit a large group of loyal supporters. Unless they had a magic crystal ball that told them that the RMN and SLN would be pushed into open conflict and knew the balance of power would be against the SLN their chances of success were slim to none. If the RMN and later the GA did not engage the SLN then no amount of planning and no amount of quality officers and crew would have overcome their their enormous disadvantage when compared the the SLN. The SLN had 2,300 SD's in commission as well as probably more then 9,000 lighter combatants, there is no way that Maya could have gotten anywhere near enough numbers to make the SLN sweat and the League was the biggest strongest nation which automatically would have meant no outside help for Maya as no-one would want to tangle with the SLN. So without the Technological revolution in the Haven sector their plans amount to nothing.

Just what the hell were they thinking if they started the planning before anyone even the RMN realized how dramatic the change in technology war. No matter what, they would have been swamped by the SLN without the SLN breaking a sweat.
Top
Re: Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by Vince   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:43 pm

Sigs wrote:In the books it seems like the Maya Sector's Senior civilian and military leadership has been planning to secede from the League for a long time, enough time to infect recruit a large group of loyal supporters. Unless they had a magic crystal ball that told them that the RMN and SLN would be pushed into open conflict and knew the balance of power would be against the SLN their chances of success were slim to none. If the RMN and later the GA did not engage the SLN then no amount of planning and no amount of quality officers and crew would have overcome their their enormous disadvantage when compared the the SLN. The SLN had 2,300 SD's in commission as well as probably more then 9,000 lighter combatants, there is no way that Maya could have gotten anywhere near enough numbers to make the SLN sweat and the League was the biggest strongest nation which automatically would have meant no outside help for Maya as no-one would want to tangle with the SLN. So without the Technological revolution in the Haven sector their plans amount to nothing.

Just what the hell were they thinking if they started the planning before anyone even the RMN realized how dramatic the change in technology war. No matter what, they would have been swamped by the SLN without the SLN breaking a sweat.

Probably planning for possible a potential future break (that actually happened), so they would be ready to take advantage of any breaks that came their way. A failure to plan for the future can be thought of as planning for future failure.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Top
Re: Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:06 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 am

They were planning on not having a shooting war with the GA which would give the Mandarins a motive and the pretext to kick their asses.

History shows that mature empires will allow provinces to become independent under some circumstances. Just look at the British Commonwealth.
Top
Re: Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:07 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 am

Top
Re: Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Posts: 2414
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:54 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

They thought they were reading the handwriting on the wall and expecting the Solarian League to break up shortly. They didn't originally know that the MAlign was working to make the SL disintegrate, but they thought they could see the signs.
Top
Re: Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4322
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:25 pm
Location: "Lost Wages", NV

Sigs wrote:Just what the hell were they thinking if they started the planning before anyone even the RMN realized how dramatic the change in technology war. No matter what, they would have been swamped by the SLN without the SLN breaking a sweat.


I think it's made reasonably clear that the "Sepoy Option" was contingency planning for when, not if, the Solarian League self-destructed. It was NOT planned based on any technological advances, although it did take advantage of whatever improvements that it could access.

The key element was planning to survive when the rest of the League descended into chaos, NOT initiating the break-up by being the first to secede.
.
.
.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Top
Re: Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by Sigs   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Sigs
Commodore

Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Vince wrote:Probably planning for possible a potential future break (that actually happened), so they would be ready to take advantage of any breaks that came their way. A failure to plan for the future can be thought of as planning for future failure.

Problem with that is that the League was corrupt but still seemed unshakable. Add the fact that no matter how corrupt there is a limited shelf life for such a operation before the SLN unwittingly breaks it up by redeploying personnel and ships. But most of all why risk treason and execution for yourself and all of your supporters plus unpleasant repercussions to the people of Maya if there was a leak somehow?
Top
Re: Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by Sigs   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:18 pm

Sigs
Commodore

Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:09 pm

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Australian independence.

https://www.australia.gov.au/about-gove ... federation



I counter with American Independence.Same empire, different time period different outcome.
Top
Re: Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by Sigs   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Sigs
Commodore

Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Weird Harold wrote:
I think it's made reasonably clear that the "Sepoy Option" was contingency planning for when, not if, the Solarian League self-destructed. It was NOT planned based on any technological advances, although it did take advantage of whatever improvements that it could access.

The ONLY way that sepoy option works in any way shape or form is if1. there is a change in government in the League and/or if there is a massive external threat that would keep the League government and the League Navy busy for a while allowing it a slim chance of success.

The key element was planning to survive when the rest of the League descended into chaos, NOT initiating the break-up by being the first to secede.
There was no way they could have seen the collapse of the League, it could have survived another 5 years or 5,000 years without the external pressure of the War with the SEM.
Top
Re: Maya Sector(SPOILER)
Post by ywing14   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:01 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 pm

The Sepoy Option was specifically planned on the premise that the SL was going to come apart at some point. And the signs of this they were seeing we pretty accurate given the fact the MAlign was pulling the strings to make it fracture. It was the MAlign's stated goal. Their decision to plan for the SL's demise was completely reasonable. Given they way the SL is divided into sectors I'm not surprised Barregos had contingency plans for a time with out the league.
Top

Return to Honorverse