Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

An allance warship crewed by treecats?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: An allance warship crewed by treecats?
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The GSN PEOPLE is the most efficient vessel in history

Remember that old ancient proverb about enemies of the People

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:25 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:I was thinking more a commando raid with itty bitty treecat-sized satchel charges left in places no human could access to check for them (or even fit easily).

A commando team capable of scaling the side of your building without special gear and able to see IR sensor beams - and a fifth the size of a normal human anyway - introduces all sorts of new security vulnerabilities.

now that is one of the most reasonable suggestions i've come across for making use of the 'cats
Post by dsrseraphin   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:46 pm

dsrseraphin
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:
Galactic Sapper wrote:I was thinking more a commando raid with itty bitty treecat-sized satchel charges left in places no human could access to check for them (or even fit easily).

A commando team capable of scaling the side of your building without special gear and able to see IR sensor beams - and a fifth the size of a normal human anyway - introduces all sorts of new security vulnerabilities.

now that is one of the most reasonable suggestions i've come across for making use of the 'cats

So SpecOps... green berets as oppose to white (or black)
Yes... I believe they would be quite formidable in that role

-David S.
Post by Senior Chief   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

Green berets the same color as celery!!!
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:38 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Don't forget the hydroponic celery patch.
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:

dsrserafin wrote:So SpecOps... green berets as oppose to white (or black)
Yes... I believe they would be quite formidable in that role

-David S.

SpecOps.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by dsrseraphin   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 pm

dsrseraphin

Now we can cross off some choices...
No astrographics... too much math

Expanded choices...
natural long pole operators!
two with the pole broken down between them,
native in the brush, completely silent comm between them
and paranormal targeting abilities.
wow!!

Another thought came to mind...
mech them up - man size mech

For the ultimate mash up...
'weapon x' them, I'm sure there's got to be some 'adimantium' somewhere in one of those asteroid belts.
I can see it now Nimitz (or better yet Fire Watch) in a yellow & black skinsuit with hexapuma mottling :lol:

-David S.
Post by Vinea   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Vinea

dsrseraphin wrote:First, now that treecats have come out of the forest so to speak - should they be recognized as having their own polity?

Regardless, what else can they provide besides strategic level vip security?

Can they contribute to the war effort in a more direct fashion? Should they be allowed to?

Nimitz with his latest model vac-suit helps me envision a treecat doing 0g S&R

If yes & yes, what role is best... Jarheads, Fighter Jocks (LAC crew), line crew, or submariners (sleuthing spider drive crew); maybe they're better at navigating grav-waves therefore best in the deep space navy?

Obvious advantage of an all treecat crew is reduced life support needs per crew member. What are other nuts & bolts pros & cons?

This enquiringly mind would like to know.

If you size the ships and environmental plants for tree cat sized crews the ships can be smaller right?
Post by Theemile   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Vinea wrote:
If you size the ships and environmental plants for tree cat sized crews the ships can be smaller right?

OK, crazy thought - a properly built treecat ship would be impossible to board - all the corridors would be treecat sized, with treecat climbing hardware, not stairs or ladders. With the exception of a few main corridors, you would literally have to rip through the ship to board it.

down side, after a few attempts, no one will try to board such ships and just nuke them...
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Vinea   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Vinea

Theemile wrote:
Vinea wrote:

OK, crazy thought - a properly built treecat ship would be impossible to board - all the corridors would be treecat sized, with treecat climbing hardware, not stairs or ladders. With the exception of a few main corridors, you would literally have to rip through the ship to board it.

down side, after a few attempts, no one will try to board such ships and just nuke them...

Powered armor for treecats...that can combine into a human sized robot with a big sword...

Return to Honorverse