Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 92 guests

Hurricane Florence & DW in South Carolina

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Hurricane Florence & DW in South Carolina
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

cthia wrote:Just one day in Greenville after storm hits coast. Over a third of the county already without power with at least 2-4 more days of rain.

Actually, this video is Greenville *NC*. I should know. I live here. It really was not that bad here. The power outages were scattered and mostly due to limbs/trees falling on powerlines. But most of the grid stayed up. And although we got 10-12 inches of rain, the rate of rainfall was slow enough that flash flooding here was minimal. And our river (the Tar) did not flood because it originates north of where the heavy rain fell. But we only got the northern edge of the storm. Areas further south in NC got much more rain and experienced much more flooding. In particular, the Neuse, Lumber, Trent, and New rivers flooded badly.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:
cthia wrote:Just one day in Greenville after storm hits coast. Over a third of the county already without power with at least 2-4 more days of rain.

Actually, this video is Greenville *NC*. I should know. I live here. It really was not that bad here. The power outages were scattered and mostly due to limbs/trees falling on powerlines. But most of the grid stayed up. And although we got 10-12 inches of rain, the rate of rainfall was slow enough that flash flooding here was minimal. And our river (the Tar) did not flood because it originates north of where the heavy rain fell. But we only got the northern edge of the storm. Areas further south in NC got much more rain and experienced much more flooding. In particular, the Neuse, Lumber, Trent, and New rivers flooded badly.

Thanks Henry, can we keep this between gentlemen. I should know that Pitt County is the home of the ECU Pirates. I'm on the East coast as well. My best friend attended ECU, the first University where I puked my innards out at a beer blast on the grounds of what was then considered the beer drinking capitol of the world . . . ECU.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:33 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Henry Brown wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Biggest damage from Florence is flooding. Weber is at risk.

Well aware of that. I live in North Carolina. In fact, the company I work for had their shop in Kinston NC flooded by the Neuse river. However, most of the flooding in both NC and SC was within 100 miles of the coast. And in most cases within 50 or 60 miles. Greenville SC is further inland than that.

After a week, I doubt very much David, or any of the rest of us in the upstate SC area have to worry about flooding. I live in Greer, which borders Greenville, SC, and there's been no notable rise in the water level of the lake near where I live, nor is the water overflow from the dam at one end of the lake any heavier than normal.

OTOH, family in Columbia, SC, lost power for a few hours a couple nights ago due to some heavy rainstorms (not associated with Florence, since Columbia is even farther south that I am).
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:11 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Biggest damage from Florence is flooding. Weber is at risk.

Well aware of that. I live in North Carolina. In fact, the company I work for had their shop in Kinston NC flooded by the Neuse river. However, most of the flooding in both NC and SC was within 100 miles of the coast. And in most cases within 50 or 60 miles. Greenville SC is further inland than that.

MaxxQ wrote:After a week, I doubt very much David, or any of the rest of us in the upstate SC area have to worry about flooding. I live in Greer, which borders Greenville, SC, and there's been no notable rise in the water level of the lake near where I live, nor is the water overflow from the dam at one end of the lake any heavier than normal.

OTOH, family in Columbia, SC, lost power for a few hours a couple nights ago due to some heavy rainstorms (not associated with Florence, since Columbia is even farther south that I am).

Good to hear Maxx . . . and I hope it is the same for David.

But let's not forget that danger, death, damage or dismemberment can come from the most unlikely of causes in a storm. Trees can be toppled from the slightest wind, having been left to stand in a saturated and mud soaked ground, giving the root system no anchorage. I've seen tons of fallen trees from saturated grounds. Most of them in conjunction with the high winds here on the coast.

But trees can fall after the fact, or with the assist of little winds on the extreme edges of the storm, simply standing in water soaked grounds compounding root damage from previous storms.

This is Greenville, SC on August 9, 2018. Weeks away from the storm.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:01 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

His last Facebook page (13 hours ago) is about his trip to Seattle. No apparent Hurricane problems for him.

Donnachaidh wrote:He's made a couple facebook posts since the hurricane and they've still been promoting his west coast book tour for UH that starts this week.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:His last Facebook page (13 hours ago) is about his trip to Seattle. No apparent Hurricane problems for him.

Donnachaidh wrote:He's made a couple facebook posts since the hurricane and they've still been promoting his west coast book tour for UH that starts this week.

I truly hope that's the case, Drak. But if he high-tailed it out of town like most smart people did, he still has to return home to assess any damage.

Post by ywing14   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:38 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'm glad I moved out of Surf City, NC. most of my friends made out ok but I hear that area is still having trouble.

Return to Honorverse