Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Honor's rescue of Marsh, nearly fatal?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's rescue of Marsh, nearly fatal?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:04 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:
Beyond building anything at Grendelsbane, the MAJORITY of their SDP are being built there. WTH?... They lost 100 capital ships not including 50 small fry being built. They had a mere 36? Invictus being built at home... Off to go look at the numbers.... Okay, remembered about right. Close enough.

Anyways... Logic wormholes you could stuff an entire galaxy through on this one.

Where there actually more slips at Grendelsbane than at Manticore? I don't think so.

Letting a repair yard that's being underutilized morph into one that does upgrades and then into one that's doing construction is poorly thought out. But it's wasn't Manticore's primary SD(P) and CLAC yard.

IIRC the events went something like this:
- The second wave of SD(P) and CLAC are under construction a majority at Manticore a sizable minority at Grendelsbane.
- Before their completion the Cromarty assassination happens and the new High Ridge government accepts St Just's cease fire request.
- Shortly after they order all SD(P) and CLAC construction halted (to free funding for their cherished domestic programs)
- Eventually High Ridge is pressured to resume construction and he picks the more politically beneficial work in Manticore, leaving the large minority of ships at Grendelsbane alone.
- As the slips are cleared in Manticore no new construction is started.
- Some panic occurs when Pritchart reveals that Haven has a non-trivial number of SD(P) of their own.
- The paused construction at Grendelsbane is restarted to boost Manticore's numbers, but no new hulls are laid down in Manticore -- High Ridge thinks Haven is more or less running a bluff and isn't willing to disrupt his precious domestic programs by restoring war funding to military construction.

So at the time of Thunderbolt, yes, all Manticore's current SD(P) and CLAC construction was a Grendelsbane . But only because someone who viewed military construction through the lens of vote buying and refused to worry about security of the yards.
Post by Relax   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:23 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Relax wrote:
Beyond building anything at Grendelsbane, the MAJORITY of their SDP are being built there. WTH?... They lost 100 capital ships not including 50 small fry being built. They had a mere 36? Invictus being built at home... Off to go look at the numbers.... Okay, remembered about right. Close enough.

Anyways... Logic wormholes you could stuff an entire galaxy through on this one.

Where there actually more slips at Grendelsbane than at Manticore? I don't think so.

Letting a repair yard that's being underutilized morph into one that does upgrades and then into one that's doing construction is poorly thought out. But it's wasn't Manticore's primary SD(P) and CLAC yard.

- The second wave of SD(P) and CLAC are under construction a majority at Manticore a sizable minority at Grendelsbane.
- Before their completion the Cromarty assassination happens and the new High Ridge government accepts St Just's cease fire request.
- Shortly after they order all SD(P) and CLAC construction halted (to free funding for their cherished domestic programs)
- Eventually High Ridge is pressured to resume construction and he picks the more politically beneficial work in Manticore, leaving the large minority of ships at Grendelsbane alone.
- Some panic occurs when Pritchart reveals that Haven has a non-trivial number of SD(P) of their own.
- The paused construction at Grendelsbane is restarted to boost Manticore's numbers, but no new hulls are laid down in Manticore -- High Ridge thinks Haven is more or less running a bluff and isn't willing to disrupt his precious domestic programs by restoring war funding to military construction.

So at the time of Thunderbolt, yes, all Manticore's current SD(P) and CLAC construction was a Grendelsbane . But only because someone who viewed military construction through the lens of vote buying and refused to worry about security of the yards.

It doesn't matter if even 1 SD was being built in Grendelsbane, it still makes NO ECONOMIC or logical sense to do so even if it was "protected".
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 am

TFLYTSNBN

The Grendelsbane yard and other bases in minimally inhabited systems never made sense to me. Assets to defend systems are limited. Each new base established represents a system that must be defended unless you are willing to sacrifice it. The absence of a habitable planet and established space industries increases operating costs. Everything has to be shipped in.

Once you have countergrav and impeller drive, space based mineral resources became nearly infinite by Honorvese standards. Asteroid belts are essentially a planet that has been dissassembled to make mining more convienient. One cubic kilometer of Nickel Iron asteroid equals one billion tons of mostly high grade oar. A ten kilometer diameter asteroid equals half a TRILLION TONS of goodies that can be transformed into SD(P)s, missiles, LACs ect. Manticore's entire Navy masses less than 10 billion tons. Even if only 1% of the asteroid is elements that you need, that one, ten kilometer diameter asteroid is suffecient to meet your needs.

Manticore does not need to establish a shipyard to Hell and Gone to have mineral resources to build ships.
Post by tlb   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:11 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The Grendelsbane yard and other bases in minimally inhabited systems never made sense to me. Assets to defend systems are limited. Each new base established represents a system that must be defended unless you are willing to sacrifice it. The absence of a habitable planet and established space industries increases operating costs. Everything has to be shipped in.

Once you have countergrav and impeller drive, space based mineral resources became nearly infinite by Honorvese standards. Asteroid belts are essentially a planet that has been dissassembled to make mining more convienient. One cubic kilometer of Nickel Iron asteroid equals one billion tons of mostly high grade oar. A ten kilometer diameter asteroid equals half a TRILLION TONS of goodies that can be transformed into SD(P)s, missiles, LACs ect. Manticore's entire Navy masses less than 10 billion tons. Even if only 1% of the asteroid is elements that you need, that one, ten kilometer diameter asteroid is suffecient to meet your needs.

Manticore does not need to establish a shipyard to Hell and Gone to have mineral resources to build ships.

I have been trying to find text to explain the policy, but I cannot. The earliest discussion that I can find to say what was intended comes from Flag in Exile:
Chapter 1 wrote:The Manties are already there. They had eighteen of the wall under construction in the Star Kingdom itself from prewar programs; those units are now proceeding on a crash priority basis to commission over the next six months, and their new war program will start delivering additional units within ten months. Our own yards will complete our first home-built SD about the same time, and the Manty yards in Grendelsbane and Talbot will do the same. Once we hit our stride, we'll be turning out four or five of the wall a month.

Chapter 15 wrote:Minette wasn't exactly of vital strategic importance. It served as an advanced picket, helping the enormous Grendelsbane fleet base cover the Alliance's southern flank against the Peep bases in Treadway and Solway, but those systems had been stripped of mobile elements as White Haven's offensive headed for Trevor's Star, and their immobile fixed defenses posed no threat.

So they decided at some point, since there was an enormous fleet base at Grendelsbane with repair facilities, to also build ships there? Do we know what happened to Talbot?
This is from the Pearls of Weber:
The Grendelsbane Yard's Vulnerability wrote:The Grendelsbane yards originally came into existence as a repair/refit facility for the extreme flank of the Manticoran Alliance. They were established not simply as a Manticoran facility, but to provide support for other navies operating in the area at a centralized location where economies of scale could be practiced. Remember that this logistics node was established initially during time of peace, before the war turned hot, and represented a perceived (and quite real) need to have an advanced repair and support complex in a critical region of the defensive glacis the SKM was building up. It was also the primary support base for the very powerful fleet which the SKM had stationed to cover that flank of its defensive perimeter. That both increased the need for capacity and put a powerful defensive force in position to cover it. Think of it as the equivalent of the Brits' Singapore, at least conceptually. (And if you think the similarity between what happened to Singapore in 1942, and what happened to Grendelsbane in War of Honor was sheer coincidence, I have some bottom land in Florida I'd like to sell you.)

As time progressed, more and more capacity was concentrated there. It made sense to the Powers That Were to put in fabrication nodes so that critical components could be produced on-site. And as the base became increasingly important, the commitment to its defenses — in both mobile and fixed units — grew to protect the investment. The fact that the defending fleet at the time of the actual attack was insufficient to the task says nothing at all about the capability of the defenses which had been in place earlier in the war. In particular, the base was defended by very powerful fixed fortifications — more powerful, in fact, than those being erected to cover the Trevor's Star terminus of the Junction. Unfortunately, those forts had been built with pre-Ghost Rider technology, and they hadn't been upgraded before the cessation of hostilities. Worse (and one of the reasons Janacek committed suicide), the Janacek Admiralty hadn't even assigned priority to getting large numbers of MDM pods to the forts there, which is the reason the Manty system CO didn't even consider trying to use them to defend the base when the Havenites turned out to have MDMs of their own. In Janacek's mind, however, Grendelsbane's location made it a "safe" sector, one which a covering force with a relatively small number of SD(P)s (with MDMs, which he didn't think the Havenites had) could easily protect. Even when he began to think in terms of a possible Havenite attack, his attention was fixed primarily on Trevor's Star because of the political consequences of an attack there.

But earlier than that, as both the capacity and the (then) toughness of the defenses grew, it also made sense to the Mourncreek Admiralty (this is one of the arguably poorer reasons, based on prewar logic, without the experience of actual, sustained operations) to spread out the SKM's production bottlenecks. Remember that the SKM was a single-system polity which had fought pirates and a few minor wars, but had never taken on an opponent of the PRH's size in a sustained war. One of the major concerns of the prewar Admiralty was the vulnerability of the RMN's yard capacity compared to that of the PRH, which had its capacity divided between multiple (well defended) systems. A single lucky PRH attack that managed to get into missile range of Hephaestus and Vulcan, for example, could have taken out something like 75% of the total building capacity of the SKM. By spreading out the targets, the RMN increased its defensive problems, but also put fewer of its eggs into a single basket.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Relax wrote:

It was probably also easier to hide or keep the status of Grendelsbane in the dark, seeing it isn't located right there in the Home System where High Ridge's informants can easily feed him up to date info.

The chances one of his stooges getting up off of his well-fed, sorry, lazy ass and leaving the system to visit Grendelsbane was probably nil.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Vince   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Where there actually more slips at Grendelsbane than at Manticore? I don't think so.

It was probably also easier to hide or keep the status of Grendelsbane in the dark, seeing it isn't located right there in the Home System where High Ridge's informants can easily feed him up to date info.

The chances one of his stooges getting up off of his well-fed, sorry, lazy ass and leaving the system to visit Grendelsbane was probably nil.

Regarding the section I bolded, I think you have a good point, but slightly backwards: It was probably easier to hide or keep the status of Grendelsbane hidden from the Centrist opposition, since it isn't located in the Home System where the Centrist opposition's informants can provide them with up to date information to use against the High Ridge government.

Unless you were referring to Janaceck (First Lord of the Admiralty) keeping High Ridge and the rest of the High Ridge government in the dark, which doesn't seem to be the case in text, as the rest of the High Ridge government seems perfectly willing to overlook inconvenient details--sort of like the SLN and the Mandarins.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Janaceck was an asshole.
High Ridge was a whole ass.
Neither worth the paper to wipe his butt.
Plain and simple.

I'm talking about the r e a l Edward Saganami's Navy.
All of those officers truly doing it for the Honor of the Queen.
Honor wasn't the only one.

The ones that get things done behind the scenes
Like the Chalet and Denver Summervale
Like yoyoing Pavel Young.

Anyone care to throw their hat into the pot who was really running things at that time as best he could? Had to have been running things? Micromanaging damage control all along the way.

Sure they didn't care about niggling little details, but within reason - lest too great a siphon off of his coffer.

There wasn't but so much of the Navy that could realistically be put into Janacek's hands.

You couldn't really leave Edward Saganami's Navy and the Salamander's fate in the hands of those two buffoons.

This is for the HoTQperiod

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 pm

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:Anyone care to throw their hat into the pot who was really running things at that time as best he could? Had to have been running things? Micromanaging damage control all along the way.

Probably a couple of people at work here, most of them at the keep-your-heads-down-and-do-the-best-you-can level. But sure, I'll toss in a couple high-level hats just for argument.

Benjamin Mayhew, did more than anyone to keep the 'Manticore Alliance' intact after High Ridge basically said "Foreign policy? We don't need no stinkin' foreign policy."

And for the RMN I'll throw out Admirals Chakrabarti and Toscarelli.

The former sold Janacek the Sag-C as an 'upgrade' to the Saganami/Saganami-B hull, had the Nike built as a 'prototype,' and authorized the Medusa-B as a paper study. He also accepted his mistakes early, tried to fix them, and gave the High Ridge government a much-needed wake up call... Only for every to reach for the snooze button.

The latter said 'blueprint are done on paper, right?' (Re: Medusa-B)

And now that I think about it, Janacek wasn't able to beach Theodosia Kusak. He had to chose between her and White Haven so he beached White Haven. Of course, this left White Have with the free time to show up in the House of Lords whenever they wanted to talk Navy, so maybe that wasn't one of High Ridge's better (for his own interests) moves.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The Grendelsbane yard and other bases in minimally inhabited systems never made sense to me. Assets to defend systems are limited.

1) the establishment, expansion, and maintenance of remote/regional bases was a consequence of pre-war and first war strategic thinking. Both sides engaged in building dispersed nodal forces.

2) Establishing bases in uninhabited systems avoid a multitude of political problems; especially for Manticore. The attack on Zanzibar where the local's commander countermanded the Manticoran commander to use the out-system LAC bases is a prime example of why an empty system is preferable.

3) If the only thing in the system is your military base, there is no problem declaring the entire system a military reservation.

4) Dispersed nodal forces are no longer mainstream strategic thinking. There's no need to establish an extended perimeter defense if the enemy is going to use deep penetration raids against "home" systems.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Relax   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:The Grendelsbane yard and other bases in minimally inhabited systems never made sense to me. Assets to defend systems are limited.

1) the establishment, expansion, and maintenance of remote/regional bases was a consequence of pre-war and first war strategic thinking. Both sides engaged in building dispersed nodal forces.

2) Establishing bases in uninhabited systems avoid a multitude of political problems; especially for Manticore. The attack on Zanzibar where the local's commander countermanded the Manticoran commander to use the out-system LAC bases is a prime example of why an empty system is preferable.

3) If the only thing in the system is your military base, there is no problem declaring the entire system a military reservation.

4) Dispersed nodal forces are no longer mainstream strategic thinking. There's no need to establish an extended perimeter defense if the enemy is going to use deep penetration raids against "home" systems.

Yes, those reasons exist. Still does not mean you BUILD ships there, out in the middle of nowhere which cannot be defended well. This is like saying in WWII, Hawaii(front lines) with a small population and certainly no one with knowledge to build warships was going to become a shipbuilding center. Pull the other leg. If you do not like this example, pull any number of examples from the Royal Navy over the entirety of the 18th and 19th century when they ruled the waves. Small ships at most and then the cannons etc were all shipped in from England. They did not build forges to build cannon all over the world.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse