Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 109 guests

Honor's rescue of Marsh, nearly fatal?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's rescue of Marsh, nearly fatal?
Post by Louis R   » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:10 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Nope. Marsh was a non-issue as far as the Empire was concerned. In fact, they may well have approved, since it was outside Silesia on the side they weren't interested in anyway. Which meant that Manticore would have no choice about keeping order in the kindergarten over there.

What inspired Gustav [I don't think you _can_ _provoke_ an Andie Emperor, although attacking his family does come pretty close] to finally move in Silesia was a) the belief that Haven had finally been tamed and b) the recognition that the SKM was being run by a bunch of people convinced that the only universe that really mattered lay inside the Manticore A hyperlimit. Oh, and the bit surrounding the Manticore Junction, of course.

The Andies had been planning a fix for Silesia for at least a generation. What held them back was the knowledge that Manticore wouldn't really appreciate their solution, and that distracting the Manties from the looming confrontation with Haven could prove fatal - for them. With Haven currently harmless and a High Ridge government likely to geek as long as they could save face at home, this was the best possible time for a move that probably wouldn't be fatal for anybody.

And, BTW, Himself explained years ago why it was the Grendelsbane ships that were being finished: the SD(P)s building in Manticore - which were late-flight Medusas - were completed to keep local employment up but no new ones were laid down. So when High Ridge and Janacek realised that they badly needed more, yesterday, the mothballed hulls out at Grendelsbane were all that could possibly be finished even as soon as the day after tomorrow. Hulls that were laid down in the heart of what was then a major fleet base. A base that couldn't be fully reopened because there wasn't a major fleet left to base there - those hulls were floating in a storage orbit around Yeltsin's Star.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I would submit that by effectively annexing Marsh, Manticore needlessly provoked the Andermandi to abandon its polucy of not only neutrality in the Haven war but also as discussed in HAE, avoid small scale conflicts with the RMN in Silesia.
The RMN establishing a fleet base in Marsh alarmed the Andermandi and motivated Emperor Gustov to confront Manticore.

Of course I keep asking myself why the RMN was stupid enough to be building its new Inictus SD(P)s at a indensible shipyard at Grendelsbane.
Post by Louis R   » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:19 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

That would have been my first thought, too.

I can only assume that the concern was the likely need for speed on the last leg. Something that it ought be possible to deal with using a tramp with, at least, milspec rad shielding. Not as if there would have been anything like that kicking around Haven, eh? Or maybe not, since we don't actually know what became of those Q ships in the mean time, nor how many there actually were to start with.

Jonathan_S wrote:
Louis R wrote:No, we can't. That was a counterintelligence move, not tactical.

And justified by the channel the Octagon chose - not that they had any real choice under the circumstances - to communicate with 2nd Fleet. The courier ships being used to carry the traffic via the junction could neither be told what they were carrying nor expected to stop off for a rendezvous in an empty system without wondering - probably loudly - just what messages they were carrying for whom. They had to deliver it to a reasonable to them destination, and whatever means was used for forwarding it would be liable to exposure if it caught the wrong person's attention.

You can't really even blame the RHN for picking that particular system to do the forwarding from, as I really doubt that any of the 3 versions of NavInt that existed over the years were bothering to keep track of the activities of a cruiser captain who was effectively cashiered 20 years before Honor Harrington even went to Basislisk, never mind Marsh. The Andies might have, but probably only if they kept track of anyone running armed merchantment through Silesia [something that would have been a rather good idea, actually].

The one thing I do fault the RHN planning for was not giving Tourville any inconspicuous ships to use for picking up his message traffic. If he hadn't had to use Haven built and flagged destroyers to zip back and forth for his mail he'd never have attracted Bachfisch's attention.

Give him a boring tramp freighter sailing under someone else's flag to do that job and nobody looks twice.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:52 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
Louis R wrote:...as I really doubt that any of the 3 versions of NavInt that existed over the years were bothering to keep track of the activities of a cruiser captain who was effectively cashiered 20 years before Honor Harrington even went to Basislisk, ...

There is textev that Adm Bachfish was a NAVINT resource for Adm Givens until the Janacek Admiralty beached her and cut most HUMINT resources.

I believe he meant Havenite Naval Intelligence there. Legislaturist, StateSec, or Republican, none of them were keeping track of cashiered Manticoran captains and thus didn't realize who had seen their destroyer relay.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:00 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
Galactic Sapper wrote:Not really. All of the missile fabrication lines were located in the Manticore system, specifically on the three stations. They also didn't have the tooling, budget, or workforce needed for the task. It was a dedicated shipyard not a munitions factory.

No, Honorverse fabrication is not special purpose. That’s why some random manufacturer in Beowulf could start turning out masses of Apollo MDMs without ever having even heard of then a few months earlier. And the hybrid KH2+reactor Mycroft control modules that were at most a prototype when the Manticoran stations got all blowed up. And ask yourself how many missile pods does it take to fill up the ships nearing completion. When were they going to show up?

No doubt they could have built missiles, given the time, manpower, and budget to do so. The High Ridge government wasn't going to pay for that, though. The new construction was still at least several months from completion, and the missiles needed to supply them were probably being built in Manticore to be loaded into colliers for delivery to Grendelsbane when they were needed.

High Ridge had cut back on all sorts of naval construction except LACs, which almost certainly meant missile production had been throttled back as well. He wasn't going to spend any more than necessary to finish those ships.

As for Beowulf manufacturing, they had their own shipyards and missile production lines - with the associated manpower - for keeping their own SDF running. They still needed months to retool and ramp up production, using money and resources not available to the fleet base at Grendelsbane.
Post by Relax   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:49 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:
As for Beowulf manufacturing, they had their own shipyards and missile production lines - with the associated manpower - for keeping their own SDF running. They still needed months to retool and ramp up production, using money and resources not available to the fleet base at Grendelsbane.

There is zero logical sense outside of plot why ANY nation would build their most treasured assets in another system. NONE. It is beyond dumb. There is no habitable planet in said system(Grendelsbane)..... They had to ship in personell.... and the mining fabrication equipment... WTH? How does this make logical economic sense let alone manufacturing sense?????????? If you are so hard pressed for minerals... SHIP THEM home!!!

What? Is Manticore running out of Asteroids? No. In fact Manticore B is barely even touched with 3? massive asteroid belts.

Its plot stupidity. Just ignore it.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:28 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

don't forget that originally it was just a repair yard. at a time when they were still tied into slow system by system grindfest.

i'll grant that then upping it to full scale construction base seems a bit odd, but you act like grendalsbane was their main yard, it wasn't. it was simply a big one, the biggest outside the home system. so when they had every slip full in the binary system they started building them outside the MBS.

only after seeing how efficient the graysons were with stand alone frame work yards do they adopt that approach and start building more at home.

still i agree that it was probably a plot driven decision.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:41 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

:)

That's why I said "NavInt", not "ONI"

And they not only didn't realise who saw the DDs, they didn't know there was any reason to be concerned that he might. From the tidbits we've been given, I think the evidence would have been there that this was still a very competent _naval_ officer of the sort who would do precisely what Bachfish did in the circumstances.

While it probably wouldn't be possible to pick a mail drop that avoided every possible half-pay RMN captain, or even Admiral, in Silesia, chances are they could have slid around this one and one or two others who might be of concern. Equally importantly, the destroyer captain, had he been briefed on who to avoid, might have taken a different course of action just in case he was facing a competent officer commanding a well armed, well drilled ship.

There's no blame to attach to this, though. The fact is that keeping tabs on people like Bachfish, just in case, would demand far more resources than any intelligence organisation could devote to the job. It wouldn't surprise me if he'd come to the Andies' attention, but Silesia is their back yard and they'd be more likely to hear about his doings. And remember who he was when he did pop up.

Galactic Sapper wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:
There is textev that Adm Bachfish was a NAVINT resource for Adm Givens until the Janacek Admiralty beached her and cut most HUMINT resources.

I believe he meant Havenite Naval Intelligence there. Legislaturist, StateSec, or Republican, none of them were keeping track of cashiered Manticoran captains and thus didn't realize who had seen their destroyer relay.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... gton/104/1

Dauntless wrote:don't forget that originally it was just a repair yard. at a time when they were still tied into slow system by system grindfest.

i'll grant that then upping it to full scale construction base seems a bit odd, but you act like grendalsbane was their main yard, it wasn't. it was simply a big one, the biggest outside the home system. so when they had every slip full in the binary system they started building them outside the MBS.

only after seeing how efficient the graysons were with stand alone frame work yards do they adopt that approach and start building more at home.

Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:03 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Louis R wrote:http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/entry/Harrington/104/1

Dauntless wrote:don't forget that originally it was just a repair yard. at a time when they were still tied into slow system by system grindfest.

The RMN is finally understanding the value of using systems adjscent to MWJ termini as the fleet base and building nodes. All major construction should be concentrated at Manticore, Basilisk, Trevor's Star, Lynx ect so that defensive fleets can rspidly reinforce.
Post by Relax   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:42 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

IF, Grendelsbane only built small ships instead of the ultra important SD'Ps/CLAC's, then it would only be utterly insane and stupid. But everyone and everything still had to be shipped IN FROM MANTICORE. That is absurd. This is like saying, in WWII you are going to turn midway into a shipyard by taking the workers out of Philadelphia where they already have everything set up for mass production and their families are there as well! Insane!

Beyond building anything at Grendelsbane, the MAJORITY of their SDP are being built there. WTH?... They lost 100 capital ships not including 50 small fry being built. They had a mere 36? Invictus being built at home... Off to go look at the numbers.... Okay, remembered about right. Close enough.

Anyways... Logic wormholes you could stuff an entire galaxy through on this one.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse