Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

What is the |value| of captured enemy systems?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What is the |value| of captured enemy systems?
Post by edgeworthy   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:55 pm

edgeworthy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I would imagine that there are also rich veins of "Plotium" and "Handwavium"?
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Logistics and specific systems

I came scross SLN Logistics which is very interesting and I realized its subject matter is the same as one I created much later, The Logistics of SLN Commerce Raiding. I decided to at least link the two here. It also got me to looking at the maps I included with this thread for reference and to help analyze and follow conversations. Logistics would tend to make acquiring systems like Matapan, Asgard, Midgard, Durandel, Joshua, Terra Haute, etc., a must for the RMN for a protracted war against the League.

There's interesting talk about the density of SLN bases, brought up by Weird Harold.

Considering logistics and Harold's enlightenment, since the RMN controls the MWJ, should the League begin to concentrate bases around the above mentioned systems, or should they be bare bones, failing to make it easy for the RMN by putting natural service stations (bases) waiting to be captured right off exit ramps?

Anticipating a rematch in the future of course.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ywing14   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Logistics and specific systems

I came scross SLN Logistics which is very interesting and I realized its subject matter is the same as one I created much later, The Logistics of SLN Commerce Raiding. I decided to at least link the two here. It also got me to looking at the maps I included with this thread for reference and to help analyze and follow conversations. Logistics would tend to make acquiring systems like Matapan, Asgard, Midgard, Durandel, Joshua, Terra Haute, etc., a must for the RMN for a protracted war against the League.

There's interesting talk about the density of SLN bases, brought up by Weird Harold.

Considering logistics and Harold's enlightenment, since the RMN controls the MWJ, should the League begin to concentrate bases around the above mentioned systems, or should they be bare bones, failing to make it easy for the RMN by putting natural service stations (bases) waiting to be captured right off exit ramps?

I think the Second Manticoran-Havenite War proved that you don't need bases to do deep penetration raids. You'll have a situation similar to the USA and Japan during WWII. The USA just started bypassing places.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:09 pm

TFLYTSNBN

ywing14 wrote:

I think the Second Manticoran-Havenite War proved that you don't need bases to do deep penetration raids. You'll have a situation similar to the USA and Japan during WWII. The USA just started bypassing places.

Amen.

Of course the US was careful to ensure that any aircraft on the bypassed islands were destroyed so that they could not interdict US shipping.
Post by ywing14   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:03 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Agreed, send a group in smash everything up and then bounce.
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
Amen.

Of course the US was careful to ensure that any aircraft on the bypassed islands were destroyed so that they could not interdict US shipping.

The reason the US Navy changed their plans and began bypassing places was because of the discovery of a Japanese airfield that was nearing completion. The Navy could ill afford the Japanese to have that airfield.

They began bypassing places out of necessity, it wasn't a conscious adoption of a new strategy. Keep in mind the losses because of that. Ground troops were commandeered. IINM, 13,000 men. That was on Halsey's authority, but I agree a necessity.

To be sure, Halsey commandeered the 13,000 men that were slated for the support of seizing the airstrip.

Halsey said, "If we lose this island, that airstrip won't matter."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ywing14   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:28 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'm confused are you saying there wasn't a leapfrogging strategy in the Pacific Theater to avoid heavily defended areas?
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:I'm confused are you saying there wasn't a leapfrogging strategy in the Pacific Theater to avoid heavily defended areas?

The US Navy certainly had a leapfrogging strategy. It was to seize four or five islands in rapid succession, one closer to the next. But after capturing two of the islands, the deeper Reconnaissance flights - as a result of being deeper into enemy territory - spotted the airstrip, and then the leapfrogging strategy was at least temporarily abandoned in consideration for an unforeseen objective.

Late edit:

It should be noted that Nimitz' - iinm it was Admiral Nimitz, or Mcarthur - submitted strategy was against leapfrogging. He wanted to go directly for the most important objectives. His strategic recommendation was not embraced.

Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

All of the previous post is explained in The Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Beginning at about 4:20 into the piece. IINM, note that Admiral Nimitz wanted to go directly for the island of Ribaul, which was the real objective and thought to be too heavily defended. Think Trevor's Star.

Hence, McArthur's and Halsey's Island Hopping campaign.

See also The Battle of Guadalcanal.

Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Incidentally, Guadalcanal is the island with the miscreant airstrip. Guadalcanal was not originally suppose to be the first island taken.

Return to Honorverse