Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 66 guests

What is the |value| of captured enemy systems?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What is the |value| of captured enemy systems?
Post by kzt   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:09 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

In anything but a short war, logistics rapidly becomes they most critical issue. Your forces, no mater how highly trained or how great their equipment might be, does nothing without ammo and fuel. The US was probably the best military in WW2 at logistics.
Post by Castenea   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:In anything but a short war, logistics rapidly becomes they most critical issue. Your forces, no mater how highly trained or how great their equipment might be, does nothing without ammo and fuel. The US was probably the best military in WW2 at logistics.

I recommend watching some of the videos on youtube by Military History Visualized.
He is Austrian, and sums up the US (and British) very strong logistics capabilities in WWII to the fact that the US had to first get to the battle area. Germany by contrast had land borders with every country it successfully invaded with the exception of Norway. I would add to that both the US and British have folk memories of campaigns that failed primarily due to poor logistics. e.g. the 1775 invasion of Canada
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

When a system is captured whose form of currency is different than your own, do you leave it in place or change over?

Known currencies
  • Casca System: Cascan sol
  • Diaspora of Man: Credit chip
  • Earth: EuroDollar
  • Protectorate of Grayson: Grayson austin
  • Republic of Haven: Havenite credit, Havenite franc
  • Solarian League: Solarian credit
  • Star Empire of Manticore: Manticoran dollar
  • Star Kingdom of Manticore: Manticoran dollar
  • Talbott Quadrant: Rembrand Stellar, Manticoran dollar

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Like Honor and Elizabeth and Eloise and Hamish and Theisman, I gather a lot of wool considering this . . .

Alternate Reality
A l t e r n a t e Reality
Alternate R E A L I T Y
A l t e r n a t e R E A L I T Y
A L T E R N A T E R E A L I T Y
A L T E R N A T E R E A L I T Y
A l t e r n a t e R E A L I T Y
Alternate R E A L I T Y
A l t e r n a t e Reality
Alternate Reality

What would have been different in the relationship between the Star Kingdom and Haven if the Star Kingdom had been forced to allow White Haven to go swashbuckling and cut a swath all the way to Noveau Paris.

Terms of Surrender: Unconditional?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:18 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Dauntless wrote:perhaps a better of putting it would be Why does say florida not have it own navy independent of the US Navy? as i understand it nothing prohibits them from a Naval Militia/national guard.

answer becuase it is understood that they are under the protection of the bigger nation fleet which is bigger and so much more badder then what the locals could afford and local politicians don't want to spend the money, when it could be used for dozens of other things.

-----
Do not know about Florida, likely similar but in Calif. each city/county with a ocean coast has a "boat Patrol. State Fisheries also operates with police powers for off-shore with US Coast Guard as back-up and USN as the BIG STICK behind all that. Effectively the same as a SDF in Honorverse

-- Stewart
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

BUT! IS a System Defense Force adequate protection for the denizens down on the planet?

'Cough'

Granted, it's a moot point where the SLN is concerned where they will NOT hesitate to Kew into Compliance. But for an outfit like the RMN who plays by certain oftentimes insurmountable political concerns???

Post by stewart   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:38 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:When a system is captured whose form of currency is different than your own, do you leave it in place or change over?

Known currencies
  • Casca System: Cascan sol
  • Diaspora of Man: Credit chip
  • Earth: EuroDollar
  • Protectorate of Grayson: Grayson austin
  • Republic of Haven: Havenite credit, Havenite franc
  • Solarian League: Solarian credit
  • Star Empire of Manticore: Manticoran dollar
  • Star Kingdom of Manticore: Manticoran dollar
  • Talbott Quadrant: Rembrand Stellar, Manticoran dollar

--------------

I would suspect it would depend on whether the winning/invading power wanted to replace/supplant the current local government & currency or not --
A barter or exchange system must go in at first.
Post-WWII the US used (1) Military Script and (2) US Dollars in occupied Germany (West), Italy and Japan with the DM, Lira and Yen replacing after local economies re-established.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:00 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:BUT! IS a System Defense Force adequate protection for the denizens down on the planet?

'Cough'

Granted, it's a moot point where the SLN is concerned where they will NOT hesitate to Kew into Compliance. But for an outfit like the RMN who plays by certain oftentimes insurmountable political concerns???

-------------------

How large a SDF is will be dependent on (1) resources of the planet/system , (2) the estimated credible threats, (3) how much of those resources a planetary society is willing to spend and (4) if there is a nearby system that can act as a local Cop on the Beat.

In HAE -- Marsh/Sidemore likely "thought" they were OK until Warnecke and his squadron of CA's and DD's overwhelmed whatever Customs Patrol and Coast Guard they had. In Shadow of Sag -- several planets/systems noted a "navy" of LAC's. Noted as inadequate for known threats but all that was available.

-- Stewart
Post by Theemile   » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:59 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

stewart wrote:
cthia wrote:BUT! IS a System Defense Force adequate protection for the denizens down on the planet?

'Cough'

-------------------

How large a SDF is will be dependent on (1) resources of the planet/system , (2) the estimated credible threats, (3) how much of those resources a planetary society is willing to spend and (4) if there is a nearby system that can act as a local Cop on the Beat.

In HAE -- Marsh/Sidemore likely "thought" they were OK until Warnecke and his squadron of CA's and DD's overwhelmed whatever Customs Patrol and Coast Guard they had. In Shadow of Sag -- several planets/systems noted a "navy" of LAC's. Noted as inadequate for known threats but all that was available.

-- Stewart

Correct, and on the opposite side of the coin is Beowulf - with a 2 thousand year tradition, several daughter planets and a connection to the largest wormhole to protect. - and they have 36 wallers and an unknown (but large) force of subwallers.

But even with that strength (placing them in the top 1% of navies), the SLN could walk over them in 1900pd - the only question is how much of a sweat the SLN would have to break to do so.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Castenea wrote:
kzt wrote:In anything but a short war, logistics rapidly becomes they most critical issue. Your forces, no mater how highly trained or how great their equipment might be, does nothing without ammo and fuel. The US was probably the best military in WW2 at logistics.

I recommend watching some of the videos on youtube by Military History Visualized.
He is Austrian, and sums up the US (and British) very strong logistics capabilities in WWII to the fact that the US had to first get to the battle area. Germany by contrast had land borders with every country it successfully invaded with the exception of Norway. I would add to that both the US and British have folk memories of campaigns that failed primarily due to poor logistics. e.g. the 1775 invasion of Canada

What an incalculable force multiplier the MWJ must be on RMN logistics.

Return to Honorverse