Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 41 guests

Treecat brain and secondary brains

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Treecat brain and secondary brains
Post by Vince   » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:36 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Alfred Harrington:
Ashes of Victory, Chapter 3 wrote:"We've wondered for centuries why the 'cats spinal cords have those clusters of nervous tissue at each pelvis," he told her. "Some have theorized that they might be something like secondary brains. They're certainly large enough, with sufficiently complex structures, and the theory was that they might help explain how something with such a relatively low body mass could have developed sentience in the first place. Others have derided the entire idea, while a third group has argued that even though they may be secondary brains, the physical similarities—and differences—between them indicate that they must do something else, as well. Their structures have been thoroughly analyzed and mapped, but we've never been able to link them to any discernible function. But, then, no one ever had a 'cat expert quite like you available for consultation, Honor. Now I think we know what at least one of those super-ganglia do."

A terrestrial analogue for treecat brain physiology?

How the octopus got its smarts
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Re: Treecat brain and secondary brains
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:Alfred Harrington:
Ashes of Victory, Chapter 3 wrote:"We've wondered for centuries why the 'cats spinal cords have those clusters of nervous tissue at each pelvis," he told her. "Some have theorized that they might be something like secondary brains. They're certainly large enough, with sufficiently complex structures, and the theory was that they might help explain how something with such a relatively low body mass could have developed sentience in the first place. Others have derided the entire idea, while a third group has argued that even though they may be secondary brains, the physical similarities—and differences—between them indicate that they must do something else, as well. Their structures have been thoroughly analyzed and mapped, but we've never been able to link them to any discernible function. But, then, no one ever had a 'cat expert quite like you available for consultation, Honor. Now I think we know what at least one of those super-ganglia do."

A terrestrial analogue for treecat brain physiology?

How the octopus got its smarts

Could they be off-loaded subsystems? Another question is whether Memory Singers utilize it even more.

Repositories for memories?

Subsystems for dealing with emotion?

Octopus have fascinated me since I saw a certain documentary on them. They are virtual escape artists. Able to flatten themselves and slide under a door. Mold themselves into most any shape. Pour themselves into a bucket. Solve puzzles with ease. Fascinating creatures.

Why someone hasn't used octopus and their incredible intelligence and skills as the basis of a horror movie is beyond me. . .

"How did they get in here!?"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Is treecat brain physiology a function of the pressures of its social nature? The social brain hypothesis? There isn't much more sociality to be found in nature than within treecat clans. Treecat reality is the very nature of a social species.

It'd be interesting to know a treecat's brain size to its body mass, and of course, whether the other differences should be counted as part of its brain size.

A nice octopus documentary.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I read somewhere that some animals with larger brains dedicate those brain functions to coordinating the higher mass. Perhaps octopus need some extra brain power to control eight arms and the incredible skin cells that enable its camouflage.

Treecats have six limbs.

Return to Honorverse