Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

[SPOILERS] Duke of Crometry in combat?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
[SPOILERS] Duke of Crometry in combat?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:31 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Duckk says: Spoilers. Highlight to reveal

After the assination in Ashes of Victory,the RMN built a new royal yacht based on an Agmemnon class BC(P). As I understand the snippets for Uncompromising Honor, the Duke is employed to rush Hammish Alexander to Sol system to talk his second wife down from her genocidal rage. It appears that the hypergenerator safety interlocks will be bypassed just as in HotQ.

Just a thought but does the Duke of Crometry get confronted by SLN ships?

Even with Mk16Gs, the Duke can give an SLD SD a severe ass kicking. Given Apollo Pods to multiply control links and Keyhole 1, the Duke can probably defeat a squadron of SLN SDs.

Abby Hearnes as the tactical officer?
Re: Duke of Crometry in combat?
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:57 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Does this pass the threshold for requiring a Spoiler warning?
Re: Duke of Crometry in combat?
Post by zyffyr   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:42 am

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Fox2! wrote:Does this pass the threshold for requiring a Spoiler warning?

While I personally find spoiler warnings to be silly, I do think that this does hit that threshold.
Re: [SPOILERS] Duke of Crometry in combat?
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:56 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Highlighting doesn't work on my system: it looks like a dirty light blue or grey background. (Safari on a MacBook Pro).

Edit: I should have been a bit clearer. The selection looks like a light blue or grey background, with some dirt on top that's probably the letters trying to get through.
Last edited by JohnRoth on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:42 am

TFLYTSNBN

Oops.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Now that Duckk has deleted and inserted a spoiler warning, can we address the question?

SPOILER WARNING SPOLER WARNING
SPOILER WARNING
WARNING WARNING DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON
SPOILER WARNING

When the Duke of Cometry makes that emergency run to Sol system to interdept an enraged Honor Harrington who they fear is going to employ Eigth Fleet to commit genocide, does the Duke get into combat?

Imagine Leutenant Abigail Hearnes in command for some reason.

Some silly Solly fecal brain manages to intercent the Duke.

Abby attempts to patiently explain that they are on their way to intercept Eigth Fleet to tell Honor that Hamish Alexander is alive so she does not need to eradicate Sol system.

Abby screams "We're actually trying to save you people from getting the ass kicking that you so richly deserve!"

To which the Silly Solly replies, "You can't fool us. Youre not a royal yacht with full diplomatic immunity. You're not quite as big as that big ass Battlecruiser / Battleship that Kinky Henke runs around in, but you're obviously a warship and a Hell of a lot bigger than our Nevada Class Battlecruisers. Fortunately; we have two entire squadrons of Nevada class battlecruisers loaded with Cataphract missiles, so we can take you."

In exasperation the lithsome, curvy, brunette Leutenant Hearnes orders in her soft Grayson accent, "weapons officer, start rolling pods! We dont have Keyhole II for FTL control but since the Admiralty spared no expense in arming the Royal Yacht we are loaded with 240 Apollo pods (some ammo capacity was sacrificed for state rooms and a ballroom). We have enough control channels to control a quadruple, pattern of four, Mk-24 pods so we can control up to 160 Apollo pods. Lets conserve ammo and roll only 80 pods in case wehave to do it again to anyone else who is stupid enough to get in our way.

The Silly Solly soon finds a tidal wave of some 720 missiles coming at him. 80 of those missiles are Apollo control missiles while 640 missiles are Mk-24 attack missiles, Dazzlers and Dragons Teeth. These aren't even the Mark 16Gs that eviserated a Solarian League Navy fleet of battlecruisers and cruisers at Hypatia. These are Mark 24s designed to destroy PRH SD(P)s.

Next scene has the Duke of Crometry proceeding on her way through a cloud of plasma and debris that was once two squadrons of SLN BCs. Abby Hearnes declares, "I am fatigued after killing some 24,000 Solarian League imbeciles. I will go take a shower. David zweber will write the scene in vivid detail so that TFLYTSNBN can enjoy reading it."
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Now that Duckk has deleted and inserted a spoiler warning, can we address the question?

SPOILER WARNING SPOLER WARNING
SPOILER WARNING
WARNING WARNING DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON
SPOILER WARNING

When the Duke of Cometry makes that emergency run to Sol system to interdept an enraged Honor Harrington who they fear is going to employ Eigth Fleet to commit genocide, does the Duke get into combat?

Imagine Leutenant Abigail Hearnes in command for some reason.

Some silly Solly fecal brain manages to intercent the Duke.

Abby attempts to patiently explain that they are on their way to intercept Eigth Fleet to tell Honor that Hamish Alexander is alive so she does not need to eradicate Sol system.

Abby screams "We're actually trying to save you people from getting the ass kicking that you so richly deserve!"

To which the Silly Solly replies, "You can't fool us. Youre not a royal yacht with full diplomatic immunity. You're not quite as big as that big ass Battlecruiser / Battleship that Kinky Henke runs around in, but you're obviously a warship and a Hell of a lot bigger than our Nevada Class Battlecruisers. Fortunately; we have two entire squadrons of Nevada class battlecruisers loaded with Cataphract missiles, so we can take you."

In exasperation the lithsome, curvy, brunette Leutenant Hearnes orders in her soft Grayson accent, "weapons officer, start rolling pods! We dont have Keyhole II for FTL control but since the Admiralty spared no expense in arming the Royal Yacht we are loaded with 240 Apollo pods (some ammo capacity was sacrificed for state rooms and a ballroom). We have enough control channels to control a quadruple, pattern of four, Mk-24 pods so we can control up to 160 Apollo pods. Lets conserve ammo and roll only 80 pods in case wehave to do it again to anyone else who is stupid enough to get in our way.

The Silly Solly soon finds a tidal wave of some 720 missiles coming at him. 80 of those missiles are Apollo control missiles while 640 missiles are Mk-24 attack missiles, Dazzlers and Dragons Teeth. These aren't even the Mark 16Gs that eviserated a Solarian League Navy fleet of battlecruisers and cruisers at Hypatia. These are Mark 24s designed to destroy PRH SD(P)s.

Next scene has the Duke of Crometry proceeding on her way through a cloud of plasma and debris that was once two squadrons of SLN BCs. Abby Hearnes declares, "I am fatigued after killing some 24,000 Solarian League imbeciles. I will go take a shower. David zweber will write the scene in vivid detail so that TFLYTSNBN can enjoy reading it."

I don't see it. They're not going to intercept the Duke of Cromarty in Hyper, and, as I understand it, Grand Fleet is already at the Sol System when they get there, so it's in FTL com range. If it hasn't quite arrived yet, the royal yacht should simply kick in the afterburners and avoid any interception attempts until Grand Fleet arrives, at which point anyone chasing them will realize they've got more important (or at least more urgent) things to do.
Post by kzt   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I'll argue that the whole situation is questionable. Either the Queen has turned the most powerful military force in existence to a psychotic nut, or it is totally unnecessary to risk the ship. And it's a serious risk. Wouldn't it be just great to have rescued them from the attack and then have the survivors never be seen again?
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 am

TFLYTSNBN

kzt wrote:I'll argue that the whole situation is questionable. Either the Queen has turned the most powerful military force in existence to a psychotic nut, or it is totally unnecessary to risk the ship. And it's a serious risk. Wouldn't it be just great to have rescued them from the attack and then have the survivors never be seen again?

spoiler
SPOILER
WARNING WARNING
DANGER DANGER
WILL ROBINSON

There is an earlier thread where people who have read the complete EARC are commenting. Even Weber shows up to comment. I have not read the EARC but I have read the thread. After the attack on Beawulf in which it is believed that Hammish and Emily are killed, Honor takes off with Eigth Fleet to pay a visit to the SLN headquarters. It is a moment analogous to finding the survivors of MADRIGAL at Blackbird base only Honor is armed with Eigth Fleet rather than just a Pulsar. As you recall, only a few people were ever aware of that incident and some have died in combat. Hammish wasn't there but he is aware of the event. (Honor told him?) Ditto for Queen Elizebeth.

I suspect that since the Wintons as well as the Harringtons seem to be a lost Mesan Alpha Line, they share some common characteristics. Among them is the potential for a berserker rage that compromises judgement but not intellect, making them extremely dangerous when provoked.

Hammish obviously does not want his wife to commit an EE violation.
Queen Elizebeth is almost as bizerk as Honor Harrington but she can be restrained by her husband and family.

Apparently the Duke is dispatched to transport Hammish to Sol so he can restrain his wife.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Is this a timeline malfunction? Duke of Cromarty is listed as already being built (as a regular BC) when Queen Adrienne is destroyed in 1915, yet the Agamemnon class does not enter service until 1919.

Return to Honorverse