Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

“Dark Fall” by David Weber

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: Scotland

George J. Smith wrote:When are we going to get the story of Calvin's Hope's journey to Refuge, and the years leading through the volcanic eruptions up to the survey team discovering Refuge?


A bit after we get President Pritchart's life story and political biography!
Top
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:14 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Posts: 2031
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:39 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Randomiser wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:When are we going to get the story of Calvin's Hope's journey to Refuge, and the years leading through the volcanic eruptions up to the survey team discovering Refuge?


A bit after we get President Pritchart's life story and political biography!


What makes you think it hasn't already been written by yours truly and is just waiting for His Celeryness' stamp of approval? :lol: :lol:

(Go away, Reality. Nobody invited you to my fantasies.)
~*~


I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Top
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by Daryl   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2571
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Probably reveal that Pritchart was abducted and a programmed Mesan clone substituted, who will abuse the trust to kill Honor and Elizabeth before launching a sneak attack on Manticore with Apollo armed SDPs.
[/quote]

A bit after we get President Pritchart's life story and political biography![/quote]

What makes you think it hasn't already been written by yours truly and is just waiting for His Celeryness' stamp of approval? :lol: :lol:

(Go away, Reality. Nobody invited you to my fantasies.)[/quote]
Top
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by saber964   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:55 am

saber964
Admiral

Posts: 2318
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:41 pm
Location: Spokane WA USA

Daryl wrote:Probably reveal that Pritchart was abducted and a programmed Mesan clone substituted, who will abuse the trust to kill Honor and Elizabeth before launching a sneak attack on Manticore with Apollo armed SDPs.


A bit after we get President Pritchart's life story and political biography![/quote]

What makes you think it hasn't already been written by yours truly and is just waiting for His Celeryness' stamp of approval? :lol: :lol:

(Go away, Reality. Nobody invited you to my fantasies.)[/quote][/quote]


Read Our Sacred Honor in the Infinite Stars anthology
Top
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by Daryl   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2571
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Just pruning the roses.
saber964 wrote:
Daryl wrote:Probably reveal that Pritchart was abducted and a programmed Mesan clone substituted, who will abuse the trust to kill Honor and Elizabeth before launching a sneak attack on Manticore with Apollo armed SDPs.


A bit after we get President Pritchart's life story and political biography!


What makes you think it hasn't already been written by yours truly and is just waiting for His Celeryness' stamp of approval? :lol: :lol:

(Go away, Reality. Nobody invited you to my fantasies.)[/quote][/quote]


Read Our Sacred Honor in the Infinite Stars anthology[/quote]
Top
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: Scotland

Daryl wrote:Just pruning the roses.


In that case I suggest you look out for the thorns. :twisted:
Top
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:10 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Posts: 768
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 am
Location: Ross-on-Wye UK

I thought it would be good to extract the stanzas of the saga and present them as a whole.

Hear now my song and weep.

Hear of the blackness of Dark Fall,
Of death, dust, destruction of all.
Hear now of terror on night-black wings,
Of heartbreak and horror—the end of all things,
Of destruction below and death from the sky
On the day human history died.

Midnight came midday with the curse of God.
Mountains took flame and valleys were clawed
By talons of fire and fountains of stone
As children died in the darkness alone
When light disappeared and Home was crushed
In floodtides of death and a torrent of dust.

Tumult, destruction, devastation, and fear.
And out of the darkness, silence.

In blackness and terror hands clawed through the dust,
Seeking in vain for the living
As the lonely wail of a terrified child
Called to ears that could no longer hear.
And hearts turned to stone in the night of the soul
As they cursed Death that he’d left them behind.

So darkness fell.
So safety died.
So ruin came,
And Refuge set
In blood above Despair

Long grass blows on the banks of Despair,
Guarding the graves of the dead.
Mountain storms weep for the sleeping,
And the God of the vanished
Walks through the hills
Calling the names of the gone.

But Dark Fall ends.

Dawn comes at last to even deepest night,
And men unafraid,
And women of valor
Walk bravely into the light.

-The Dark Fall Saga
.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Top
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by Daryl   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2571
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Just got around to reading it, great story, surprised it wasn't longer as it has the bones of a much longer tale.
Was struck by the coincidences between it and Anne McCafferies Dragonriders series. Both have a lost colony founded by a generational ship, that loses its technology and history due to a volcanic eruption at its main settlement.
However Anne's stories have people bonding in telepathy with exotic local creatures, bonds so strong that the death of one usually means the death of the other. No mention of anything like that in Dark Fall.
Top
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by kzt   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:57 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 9581
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Daryl wrote:people bonding in telepathy with exotic local creatures, bonds so strong that the death of one usually means the death of the other. No mention of anything like that in Dark Fall.

Umm, I think he'd done that already...
Top
Re: “Dark Fall” by David Weber
Post by Cartref   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Daryl wrote:Just got around to reading it, great story, surprised it wasn't longer as it has the bones of a much longer tale.
Was struck by the coincidences between it and Anne McCafferies Dragonriders series. Both have a lost colony founded by a generational ship, that loses its technology and history due to a volcanic eruption at its main settlement.
However Anne's stories have people bonding in telepathy with exotic local creatures, bonds so strong that the death of one usually means the death of the other. No mention of anything like that in Dark Fall.


Ah not quite, the colony ship that took people to Pern was not lost, rather the colonists (some of them at least) had actually purchased the rights to the planet. So they got to where they wanted to go.

They had also decided to revert to an agricultural society leaving technology behind them.

So while the advent of the spores and the volcano hasten the decline it was intended in the first place.
Top

Return to Honorverse