Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests

When did Honor become the MVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: When did Honor become the MVP?
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:20 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:snip...
Oh come on! You've got to grade her on a curve. She deserves a handicap, since her ship was handicapped. She was a plain old Commodore who took out an Admiral? She popped an admiral?

"Take that!"

She performed flawlessly and spectacularly in the first round. Well, she only had a one round weapon then everyone was gunning for her, "keying on her" in gridiron jargon. Yet, who do you think everyone was talking about on the grapevine after the Games? Yep, Harrington!

A Commodore with a newly acquired, raped, aging light crusier making her mark!

Yes, Fearless took her lumps and Honor took hers and both were banished to the Basilisk System as a result. But she still gets my vote as the MVP of the War Games for doing the impossible. As a Commodore! In an aging, raped Light Cruiser.

Rid yourself of the metric system when measuring the human element, k?

LOL

I think that should be Commander
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Theemile   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
Oh come on! You've got to grade her on a curve. She deserves a handicap, since her ship was handicapped. She was a plain old Commodore who took out an Admiral? She popped an admiral?

"Take that!"

She performed flawlessly and spectacularly in the first round. Well, she only had a one round weapon then everyone was gunning for her, "keying on her" in gridiron jargon. Yet, who do you think everyone was talking about on the grapevine after the Games? Yep, Harrington!

Yes, Fearless took her lumps and Honor took hers and both were banished to the Basilisk System as a result. But she still gets my vote as the MVP of the War Games for doing the impossible. As a Commodore! In an aging, raped Light Cruiser.

LOL

And the only reason it worked was that before the wargames, no one knew a light cruiser could field a grav lance, and no stock Courageous CLs fielded energy torps. So when the Fearless was seen in the first wargame, it wasn't seen as the danger it was.

After the first wargame, everyone in the RMN knew what it had, and was thinking about how to counter it. After that EVERY CL was persecuted in case it was the Fearless.

The CL Gravlance ambusher was a 1 shot wonder. It worked ONCE, but to do so it became a 1 trick pony.

What showed Honor's mettle was the battle with the Sirius, not the ambush of the RMN flagship.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:

"Take that!"

LOL

Theemile wrote:And the only reason it worked was that before the wargames, no one knew a light cruiser could field a grav lance, and no stock Courageous CLs fielded energy torps. So when the Fearless was seen in the first wargame, it wasn't seen as the danger it was.

After the first wargame, everyone in the RMN knew what it had, and was thinking about how to counter it. After that EVERY CL was persecuted in case it was the Fearless.

The CL Gravlance ambusher was a 1 shot wonder. It worked ONCE, but to do so it became a 1 trick pony.

What showed Honor's mettle was the battle with the Sirius, not the ambush of the RMN flagship.

True, but she still had to somehow manage to make lemonade out of one stinking lemon for everyone on her team, as a Commander, a newly minted Commander with a newly minted crew, while dealing with the emotions of rape committed on her brand spanking new (first hyper capable?) ship. It was new to her! Don't you remember her excitement of acquiring Fearless right before the entire fricking closet of Imelda Marcos' shoes began to fall on her head? On top of feeling a bit slighted because Courvoisier withheld the rape.

But be all that as it may, I wasn't trying to push a belief that she showed her mettle with that brilliance, inasmuch as it put, or at least highlighted, her on the map. And sent notice of her arrival reverberating throughout the Navy and the entire galaxy at large.

To really dig under the skin of that thought, considering what followed in Honor's wake after that, Honor wouldn't even include making that silly grav lance work, on her resume. But it did have the fortunate side effect of making the very astute sit up and currently take notice of her - which served her well while she was in Basilisk. It paid big dividends. Huge. The War Games arguably highlighted and cemented Honor on White Haven's and the Admiralty's radar - at Pavel Young's expense. I'm sure her name was already bandied about the grapevine. But the War Games bent it.

As a matter of fact, the scandal behind getting her unfairly banished to Basilisk probably helped Honor's career much in the same way as that shameful matter between Kanye West and Taylor Swift. The grapevine was in danger of igniting. Can we say, advertisement. As in F R E E?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:13 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

"Take that!"

LOL

Theemile wrote:And the only reason it worked was that before the wargames, no one knew a light cruiser could field a grav lance, and no stock Courageous CLs fielded energy torps. So when the Fearless was seen in the first wargame, it wasn't seen as the danger it was.

True, but she still had to somehow manage to make lemonade out of one stinking lemon for everyone on her team, as a Commander, a newly minted Commander with a newly minted crew, while dealing with the emotions of rape committed on her brand spanking new (first hyper capable?) ship. It was new to her! Don't you remember her excitement of acquiring Fearless right before the entire fricking closet of Imelda Marcos' shoes began to fall on her head? On top of feeling a bit slighted because Courvoisier withheld the rape.

But be all that as it may, I wasn't trying to push a belief that she showed her mettle with that brilliance, inasmuch as it put, or at least highlighted, her on the map. And sent notice of her arrival reverberating throughout the Navy and the entire galaxy at large.

To really dig under the skin of that thought, considering what followed in Honor's wake after that, Honor wouldn't even include making that silly grav lance work, on her resume. But it did have the fortunate side effect of making the very astute sit up and currently take notice of her - which served her well while she was in Basilisk. It paid big dividends. Huge. The War Games arguably highlighted and cemented Honor on White Haven's and the Admiralty's radar - at Pavel Young's expense. I'm sure her name was already bandied about the grapevine. But the War Games bent it.

As a matter of fact, the scandal behind getting her unfairly banished to Basilisk probably helped Honor's career much in the same way as that shameful matter between Kanye West and Taylor Swift. The grapevine was in danger of igniting. Can we say, advertisement. As in F R E E?[/quote]

She was clearly a star by Short Victorious War. White Haven and Caparelli were discussing her abilities when she was assigned to Sarnoff.
Post by kzt   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:07 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Fearless was an old piece of junk. It was not scrapped just so it could be used for this experiment.

And it was Honor's second hyper-capable command.
Post by cthia   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Fearless was an old piece of junk. It was not scrapped just so it could be used for this experiment.

And it was Honor's second hyper-capable command.

Oh the pain. The pain. The insufferable searing pain. How can you be so in-sen-sitive and call her junk, simply because she was old and raped? She took a licking and kept on ticking, just like her Commander. Fearless may have been old, but in a Grand old Bitch kind of way. Honor and her crew understood her. In a sense, with their banishing, they were all sort of raped and misunderstood.

Second hyper command, duly noted. Thanks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:07 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Junk is a bit strong but certainly old, small and on the verge of being obsolete, she would probably have been kept in service for Silesa duty a wile longer if not for the beating She took against the Q-ship.
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:Junk is a bit strong but certainly old, small and on the verge of being obsolete, she would probably have been kept in service for Silesa duty a wile longer if not for the beating She took against the Q-ship.

She took such a beating at the hands of that Q-ship and still some how managed to hold herself together that I kept asking myself whether a ship actually gets better with age. Or are some platforms simply tougher by design. If an old obsolete platform performed like that, then what would a newly minted fresh off the press version - with that new bulkheads smell - have done to that Q-ship? What would even the raped Fearless have managed if she had her full-up armaments, for that matter.

Post by tlb   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:Junk is a bit strong but certainly old, small and on the verge of being obsolete, she would probably have been kept in service for Silesa duty a wile longer if not for the beating She took against the Q-ship.

cthia wrote:She took such a beating at the hands of that Q-ship and still some how managed to hold herself together that I kept asking myself whether a ship actually gets better with age. Or are some platforms simply tougher by design. If an old obsolete platform performed like that, then what would a newly minted fresh off the press version - with that new bulkheads smell - have done to that Q-ship? What would even the raped Fearless have managed if she had her full-up armaments, for that matter.

The Q-ship captain made the fatal mistake of turning to face her in energy range, precisely because Fearless did not have its full armament. But the survival of the ship was just as much a requirement of the story as anything else. Handled correctly the Q-ship should have out-classed a light cruiser; the Fearless was outgunned by a factor of 10 according to its captain looking at the specs for the Courageous class. If Haven had used a regular freighter or even better the embassy courier, then the story could have ended differently. It was the twin discoveries of rifles supplied to the natives and the military grade ship in orbit that caused Honor to call Case Zulu when she took off in pursuit and so quashed the plan to capture the planet.
Some older things have been designed stronger than a modern engineer would; because of changing knowledge, standards and economic requirements. The DC-3 was built about 3 times more rugged than needed, because the engineers were uncertain about strength - but that means some are still performing useful roles.
Last edited by tlb on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:She took such a beating at the hands of that Q-ship and still some how managed to hold herself together that I kept asking myself whether a ship actually gets better with age. Or are some platforms simply tougher by design. If an old obsolete platform performed like that, then what would a newly minted fresh off the press version - with that new bulkheads smell - have done to that Q-ship? What would even the raped Fearless have managed if she had her full-up armaments, for that matter.

according to House of Steel an unmodifed courages class CL had a 7 tube broadside, the magazines would also have been deeper then what Honor had as they were downsized to help squeeze in the energy torps.

so at the very least 3 times the missile throw weight per volley, more laserheads in the deeper magazines making the odds of having to use contact nukes much, much lower. Sirus struggled to fend off 2 missile volleys, 3 times as many missiles coming in? that would have vastly increased the chances of scoring a crippling hit long before Fearless took half the damage she did

Return to Honorverse