Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 113 guests

When did Honor become the MVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: When did Honor become the MVP?
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:03 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

he only had to go to basilisk, which would take barely a day there and back.
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:he only had to go to basilisk, which would take barely a day there and back.

Care to imagine the value of an entire day out of the life of a multi-trillionaire?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

agree that it must have cost him a more then a bit, though good managers should be able to keep on top of it for 1 day, but certainly not the small fortune that going to Yelstin's Star and back would be given its much greater distance.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:54 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Dauntless wrote:agree that it must have cost him a more then a bit, though good managers should be able to keep on top of it for 1 day, but certainly not the small fortune that going to Yelstin's Star and back would be given its much greater distance.

Why should everyone assume that a trillionaire must be present in an office in order to make money.

Remember that Basilisk was a really short trip at the end of the Junction. And that what Honor was doing reflected on HIS honor (even though he was not a crook in this case).
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:07 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Dauntless wrote:agree that it must have cost him a more then a bit, though good managers should be able to keep on top of it for 1 day, but certainly not the small fortune that going to Yelstin's Star and back would be given its much greater distance.

Why should everyone assume that a trillionaire must be present in an office in order to make money.

Remember that Basilisk was a really short trip at the end of the Junction. And that what Honor was doing reflected on HIS honor (even though he was not a crook in this case).

Not in his office, but reachable. Not to only make money, but to maintain net worth. The richer you are, the more daily decisions you have to make. The market is volatile.

There are certain decisions that a money manager cannot make. Trust me, I know. Like whether to unload stock if it begins to plummet. A savvy businessman may have a sixth sense, realizing the fear and anxiety in the market caused by other phenomena. Failing to unload stock could cost millions or billions in the here and now. Prematurely selling off stock can have the same effect. A savvy trillionaire-businessman like Hauptman would not give a money manager absolute power, hence Hauptman must be reachable. Stacey could make the decisions for him in his absence, but Hauptman has to rely on his daughter's savvy and familiarity with the stock and its idiosyncrasies.

When the SEM initiated Lacoon, many businessmen had to make some hard decisions. War threatens portfolios. Many businesses were lost because of the failure to act or the inability to act. And act timely. Dead presidents are very fickle and unforgiving.

When Lacoon II kicked in, those who got bad advice went broke if they relied solely on their money managers' advice when the whole stinking mess first began to brew. Many savvy businessmen unloaded stock at the very first spark between the League and the SEM. Money managers certainly couldn't make that decision.
Last edited by cthia on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:22 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Why should everyone assume that a trillionaire must be present in an office in order to make money.

cthia wrote:Not in his office, but reachable. Not to only make money, but to maintain net worth. The richer you are, the more daily decisions you have to make. The market is volatile.

There are certain decisions that a money manager cannot make. Trust me, I know. Like whether to unload stock if it begins to plummet. A savvy businessman may have a sixth sense, realizing the fear and anxiety in the market caused by other phenomena. Failing to unload stock could cost millions or billions in the here and now. Prematurely selling off stock can have the same effect. A savvy trillionaire-businessman like Hauptman would not give a money manager absolute power, hence Hauptman must be reachable. Stacey could make the decisions for him in his absence, but Hauptman has to rely on his daughter's savvy and familiarity with the stock and its idiosyncrasies.

When the SEM initiated Lacoon many businessmen had to make some hard decisions. War threatens portfolios. Many businesses were lost because of failure to act or inability to act. And act timely. Dead presidents are very fickle and unforgiving.

When Lacoon II kicked in, those who got bad advice went broke if they relied on their managers when the whole stinking mess began to brew. Many savvy businessmen unloaded stock at the very first spark between the League and the SEM. Money managers certainly couldn't make that decision.

At the time of the trip to Basilisk, the nation was at peace with everyone (although there were concerns about Haven). We have no idea how much of his wealth is in a portfolio and how much is in shipyards, ships and other physical assets. This could represent a good time to see how well Stacey manages in his absence. Certainly it is not as much a departure as when both he and Stacey traveled to Silesia together.
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

ldwechsler wrote:Why should everyone assume that a trillionaire must be present in an office in order to make money.

cthia wrote:Not in his office, but reachable. Not to only make money, but to maintain net worth. The richer you are, the more daily decisions you have to make. The market is volatile.

When the SEM initiated Lacoon many businessmen had to make some hard decisions. War threatens portfolios. Many businesses were lost because of failure to act or inability to act. And act timely. Dead presidents are very fickle and unforgiving.

When Lacoon II kicked in, those who got bad advice went broke if they relied on their managers when the whole stinking mess began to brew. Many savvy businessmen unloaded stock at the very first spark between the League and the SEM. Money managers certainly couldn't make that decision.

At the time of the trip to Basilisk, the nation was at peace with everyone (although there were concerns about Haven). We have no idea how much of his wealth is in a portfolio and how much is in shipyards, ships and other physical assets. This could represent a good time to see how well Stacey manages in his absence. Certainly it is not as much a departure as when both he and Stacey traveled to Silesia together.

Daily decisions are made regardless of war and peace. I would hazard a guess that Hauptman is a slave to the MBS, rarely venturing out except to bust heads. Like he intended to do to Harrington.

Late edit:

Unless seedy, illegal or off the record, all investments and business dealings are part of your portfolio. That is what a portfolio is.

Post by tlb   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:06 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:At the time of the trip to Basilisk, the nation was at peace with everyone (although there were concerns about Haven). We have no idea how much of his wealth is in a portfolio and how much is in shipyards, ships and other physical assets. This could represent a good time to see how well Stacey manages in his absence. Certainly it is not as much a departure as when both he and Stacey traveled to Silesia together.

cthia wrote:Daily decisions are made regardless of war and peace. I would hazard a guess that Hauptman is a slave to the MBS, rarely venturing out except to bust heads. Like he intended to do to Harrington.

Late edit:

Unless seedy, illegal or off the record, all investments and business dealings are part of your portfolio. That is what a portfolio is.

I was trying to distinguish between stocks, bonds and other liquid assets versus shipyards, ships and so on which can be left to managers (he blamed the problem in OBS on managers that he could not be expected to oversee daily).

It still is true that a quick trip to Basilisk leaving Stacey in charge is nothing compared to the trip that both Hauptmans took to Silesia in the episode that required rescue by Honor's Q-ship.
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
tlb wrote:At the time of the trip to Basilisk, the nation was at peace with everyone (although there were concerns about Haven). We have no idea how much of his wealth is in a portfolio and how much is in shipyards, ships and other physical assets. This could represent a good time to see how well Stacey manages in his absence. Certainly it is not as much a departure as when both he and Stacey traveled to Silesia together.

cthia wrote:Daily decisions are made regardless of war and peace. I would hazard a guess that Hauptman is a slave to the MBS, rarely venturing out except to bust heads. Like he intended to do to Harrington.

Late edit:

I was trying to distinguish between stocks, bonds and other liquid assets versus shipyards, ships and so on which can be left to managers (he blamed the problem in OBS on managers that he could not be expected to oversee daily).

It still is true that a quick trip to Basilisk leaving Stacey in charge is nothing compared to the trip that both Hauptmans took to Silesia in the episode that required rescue by Honor's Q-ship.

Sure, but a shipyard manager is a different type of manager. His job is to ensure the overall smooth running of the shipyards. He is never in charge of the dispensation of the shipyard. Not even the money manager can claim that power.

A well laid out portfolio lists all assets and business dealings. Some are related and dependent on others. Some assets signal and begat buyouts, takeovers, etc. But only because they are clearly listed on your portfolio along with relations, strategies, tactics, notes, warnings, cautions, charts, contacts, legalities, etc., etc., etc.

A portfolio is your base of operations which must be in order. It is automatically updated every 15 minutes during normal business hours when the market is open.

I only check-in with my portfolio once a month, but I keep a keen eye on certain markets daily. YMMV.

Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It can also be argued that Honor became the MVP when she developed her uncanny diplomatic skills.

Return to Honorverse