Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests

What keeps Sphinx habitable.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What keeps Sphinx habitable.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:30 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Just a bit of thought about why a planet with low instellation (spelling is correct) is habitable.
Weber writes about an active CO2 cycle which is not credible to any classically trained meteorologist.

I would suggest that Sphinx is warm because it has a thicker atmosphere with greater optical depth which results in the lapse rate being extended to an effectively lower altitude. Here is a discussion:

http://lasp.colorado.edu/~bagenal/3720/ ... EVM-5.html

Keep in mind that the lowest elevations on Earth such as the Dead Sea, the Quatara Depression and Death Valley are well below sea level.

The temperature of a planet can. E increased by having two, honking big continents at each pole that minimize effectiveness as heat radiators.
Re: What keeps Sphinx habitable.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:40 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Just a bit of thought about why a planet with low instellation (spelling is correct) is habitable.
Weber writes about an active CO2 cycle which is not credible to any classically trained meteorologist.

I would suggest that Sphinx is warm because it has a thicker atmosphere with greater optical depth which results in the lapse rate being extended to an effectively lower altitude. Here is a discussion:

Keep in mind that the lowest elevations on Earth such as the Dead Sea, the Quatara Depression and Death Valley are well below sea level.

Shall we add that it is a dual star system?

Also note that the Meyerdahl B people were the ones who thrived there?

The temperature of a planet can. E increased by having two, honking big continents at each pole that minimize effectiveness as heat radiators.
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:03 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Just a bit of thought about why a planet with low instellation (spelling is correct) is habitable.

It is a science fiction story, the author can make up anything as he sees fit.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:27 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:

It is a science fiction story, the author can make up anything as he sees fit.

Exactly right. What keeps in habitable is the will of David Weber.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Being politically correct, I think it would depend on who you ask. Local fauna would probably say tourists. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by jtg452   » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:27 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

ldwechsler wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:It is a science fiction story, the author can make up anything as he sees fit.

Exactly right. What keeps in habitable is the will of David Weber.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

That's the advantage of making something up. You get the final word no matter what.
Post by Somtaaw   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I would suggest that Sphinx is warm because it has a thicker atmosphere with greater optical depth which results in the lapse rate being extended to an effectively lower altitude. Here is a discussion:

Except Sphinx is actually on the cool side for a planet, not warm, and has particularly cold winters.

It's farther away from it's sun than Manticore, which is generally described much like Earth, which would make Sphinx almost Mars. Except our Mars has an orbital period of ~1.88 Earth years, while Sphinx is approximately 5 Earth years. Jupiter's orbit in Earth years is 12, so we can theorize if Earth = Manticore, then Sphinx would actually be approximately where our Asteroid Belt is, give or take a few thousand kilometers.

However Sphinx is orbiting a G0 star, while Sol is classified as G2, I think this means that Manticore-A is a little dimmer than our star. So Sphinx is orbiting farther away from a dimmer star (which is why it's such a cold planet), but Sphinx is heavier than Earth. This could lead to a thicker atmosphere, and yes slightly more greenhouse gases, which is why it's barely habitable.

Sounds perfectly plausible to me.
Post by Relax   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Now that all the yes men ego boosters up thread have had their say...

To make Sphinx Habitable.....
DW wrote there is a very active volcanism which increases CO2... problem is it makes lots of high atmosphere DUST which BLOCKS the sun creating a very high albedo creating a VERY cold planet(dare I say, dead that far from the sun). Maybe we just say all of the vulcanism on SPHINX is all very THIN magma, so we get copious amounts of CO2 etc gases, but not giant cinder cone mountains which blow up(how on earth can we justify this? I have not put time to thinking on that subject).

Now to FIX this, we could say that said vulcanism is only in the oceans and that the oceans are VERY DEEP. We could also claim that the continents won't drift.... (Yea right) With very deep oceans + vulcanism all that heat keeps the oceans warmer than they should which correspondingly increases water vapor content in the atmosphere making for a very high heat retention capability of the planet as well as a deep atmosphere which also should create absolutely massive glaciation on a 6 year cycle, creating an extremely high albedo, but if the oceans were (non existent at the poles), but oblong at the equator with long and thin(broken up maybe?) to the northern/southern sections, circulation currents would be less leading to high hydrosphere, but the warmth of the equatorial oceans would not be sapped by the northern/southern polar ice sheets.

Since HIGH gravity on SPHINX, we need more abundant light gases for a DEEPER atmosphere for a better blanket for nap time on SPHINX. So, this pretty much equates to the need for much higher quantities of Methane, Helium, Argon than compared to earth and lower quantities of CO2. To get high Methane, Need large areas of tundra that over a 2 year summer would breath much more than earth? Methane out of an ocean = belching = mass die off events, but on a non moving tectonic world? Hrmm 100% of the oceans on Sphinx = at equator? Somehow I don't think it is possible to get high methane content without high corresponding CO2 percentage as well as one leads directly to the other... Maybe a bacteria which gets its energy from some type of algae in a symbiotic relationship since algae have chlorophyll allowing the bacteria to fix CO2 into CH4?

Water is the real greenhouse gas, not CO2, N2, O2 etc.

Just kinda reminiscing when reading about large planets 30 years ago and how it would be possible.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by phillies   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:15 pm

phillies
Admiral

Relax wrote:

Now that all the yes men ego boosters up thread have had their say...

To make Sphinx Habitable.....
DW wrote there is a very active volcanism which increases CO2... problem is it makes lots of high atmosphere DUST which BLOCKS the sun creating a very high albedo creating a VERY cold planet(dare I say, dead that far from the sun). Maybe we just say all of the vulcanism on SPHINX is all very THIN magma, so we get copious amounts of CO2 etc gases, but not giant cinder cone mountains which blow up(how on earth can we justify this? I have not put time to thinking on that subject).

Now to FIX this, we could say that said vulcanism is only in the oceans and that the oceans are VERY DEEP. We could also claim that the continents won't drift.... (Yea right) With very deep oceans + vulcanism all that heat keeps the oceans warmer than they should which correspondingly increases water vapor content in the atmosphere making for a very high heat retention capability of the planet as well as a deep atmosphere which also should create absolutely massive glaciation on a 6 year cycle, creating an extremely high albedo, but if the oceans were (non existent at the poles), but oblong at the equator with long and thin(broken up maybe?) to the northern/southern sections, circulation currents would be less leading to high hydrosphere, but the warmth of the equatorial oceans would not be sapped by the northern/southern polar ice sheets.

Since HIGH gravity on SPHINX, we need more abundant light gases for a DEEPER atmosphere for a better blanket for nap time on SPHINX. So, this pretty much equates to the need for much higher quantities of Methane, Helium, Argon than compared to earth and lower quantities of CO2. To get high Methane, Need large areas of tundra that over a 2 year summer would breath much more than earth? Methane out of an ocean = belching = mass die off events, but on a non moving tectonic world? Hrmm 100% of the oceans on Sphinx = at equator? Somehow I don't think it is possible to get high methane content without high corresponding CO2 percentage as well as one leads directly to the other... Maybe a bacteria which gets its energy from some type of algae in a symbiotic relationship since algae have chlorophyll allowing the bacteria to fix CO2 into CH4?

Water is the real greenhouse gas, not CO2, N2, O2 etc.

Just kinda reminiscing when reading about large planets 30 years ago and how it would be possible.

Vulcanism works. Deccan traps are an example. They shoved the air's CO2 content through the ceiling.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

Somtaaw wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:I would suggest that Sphinx is warm because it has a thicker atmosphere with greater optical depth which results in the lapse rate being extended to an effectively lower altitude. Here is a discussion:

Except Sphinx is actually on the cool side for a planet, not warm, and has particularly cold winters.

It's farther away from it's sun than Manticore, which is generally described much like Earth, which would make Sphinx almost Mars. Except our Mars has an orbital period of ~1.88 Earth years, while Sphinx is approximately 5 Earth years. Jupiter's orbit in Earth years is 12, so we can theorize if Earth = Manticore, then Sphinx would actually be approximately where our Asteroid Belt is, give or take a few thousand kilometers.

However Sphinx is orbiting a G0 star, while Sol is classified as G2, I think this means that Manticore-A is a little dimmer than our star. So Sphinx is orbiting farther away from a dimmer star (which is why it's such a cold planet), but Sphinx is heavier than Earth. This could lead to a thicker atmosphere, and yes slightly more greenhouse gases, which is why it's barely habitable.

Sounds perfectly plausible to me.

Manticore A is slightly larger and hotter than Sol, not cooler. Manticore itself orbits at over 11 light minutes, putting it almost as far out as Mars is. Planetary year is about the same as a Mars year.

Sphinx is about the same distance as the asteroid belt in Sol.

Manticore B is slightly smaller and cooler than Sol.

Return to Honorverse