Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 56 guests

Recommendation

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Recommendation
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:05 am

TFLYTSNBN

Peregrinator wrote:The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

All of the Falkenberg's Legion yarns by Jerry Pournelle, including the books he wrote with S.M. Stirling. Top it off by reading The Mote in God's Eye by Niven and Pournelle which might not be categorized as pure military SF but is something that everyone should read (it takes place in the same universe as Falkenberg's Legion).

The Man-Kzin Wars series.

For something new, Marko Kloos' Frontlines series.

I actually recommend "the trilogy" of Starship Troopers, The Forever War, and Armor.

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-John-Steak ... B0186GXK1U

Three differing view points of a common theme.
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:45 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:

All of the Falkenberg's Legion yarns by Jerry Pournelle, including the books he wrote with S.M. Stirling. Top it off by reading The Mote in God's Eye by Niven and Pournelle which might not be categorized as pure military SF but is something that everyone should read (it takes place in the same universe as Falkenberg's Legion).

I actually recommend "the trilogy" of Starship Troopers, The Forever War, and Armor.

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-John-Steak ... B0186GXK1U

Three differing view points of a common theme.

A really different kind of read is John Birmingham's Axis of
Time trilogy.

A naval force from the near future (early 2020's...but the book was written long ago that President Hillary Clinton, a great navy President, was mentioned) gets tossed back in time to
just about the time of the Battle of Midway.

There are some interesting battles...modern tech against WWII numbers.

What adds to the fun is that in this Alternate History we know so much about the past time. No worries about Gustavus Adolphus who many of us had never heard of before 1632. The US President is Franklin Roosevelt. The leader of US guys fighting the new ideas is J. Edgar Hoover.

Lots of fun. And some really interesting military sci-fi in a WWII context.
Post by saber964   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:41 pm

saber964
Admiral

Here are my recommendations,

Man of War series by H Paul Honsinger

Crimson Worlds series by Jay Allen

Axis of Time trilogy by John Birmingham

Ember War Saga by Richard Fox

Tour of the Merrimack series by R M Meluch
Post by ywing14   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

If you're going to recommend Forever War then you mind as well recommmend Starship Troopers by Heinlien since Haldeman wrote forever war as essentially a rebuttal to Starship Troopers.
Post by ywing14   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:17 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

John Ringo's Troy Rising Series is good and also enjoyed the Legacy of Aldenata series as well.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:Legacy of Aldenata series ...

Source of one of my favorite filksongs: March of Cambreath
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

ywing14 wrote:If you're going to recommend Forever War then you mind as well recommmend Starship Troopers by Heinlien since Haldeman wrote forever war as essentially a rebuttal to Starship Troopers.

I thought some other people in the thread had recommended Starship Troopers, so I didn't bother repeating that recommendation.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:
ywing14 wrote:If you're going to recommend Forever War then you mind as well recommmend Starship Troopers by Heinlien since Haldeman wrote forever war as essentially a rebuttal to Starship Troopers.

I thought some other people in the thread had recommended Starship Troopers, so I didn't bother repeating that recommendation.

Stirling's Draka books has a good first book called, I believe,
Marching Through Georgia. It is about genetically enhanced soldiers marching the the Russian-style Georgia in a different universe's World War II.

Return to Honorverse