Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 114 guests

Quick heal absent prolong

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Quick heal absent prolong
Post by tlb   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:34 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

In a recent post RFC explained that quick heal was needed by accident victims to counteract the way prolong slows body processes, such as healing (I am not sure where I saw this written).
My question is whether quick heal would also speed healing on someone who had not received prolong; such as a young child with a broken bone or a member of a planet without the benefit?
Re: Quick heal absent prolong
Post by saber964   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 am

saber964
Admiral

tlb wrote:In a recent post RFC explained that quick heal was needed by accident victims to counteract the way prolong slows body processes, such as healing (I am not sure where I saw this written).
My question is whether quick heal would also speed healing on someone who had not received prolong; such as a young child with a broken bone or a member of a planet without the benefit?

It does, 7 year-old Honor Mayhew was given quick heal for a broken arm in AoV. IIRC quick heal effectively cuts tissue healing by a factor of three. Bones take longer as it cuts healing by 50%.
Post by tlb   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:57 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote: It does, 7 year-old Honor Mayhew was given quick heal for a broken arm in AoV. IIRC quick heal effectively cuts tissue healing by a factor of three. Bones take longer as it cuts healing by 50%.

But had Honor Mayhew gotten prolong treatments already; sorry, I do not remember when the current prolong regime can start?
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:11 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

i belive, though i'm unsure where i read it, that 3rd gen prolong can be administered as young as 10, generally it is done about 12.
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:55 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

tlb wrote:
saber964 wrote: It does, 7 year-old Honor Mayhew was given quick heal for a broken arm in AoV. IIRC quick heal effectively cuts tissue healing by a factor of three. Bones take longer as it cuts healing by 50%.

But had Honor Mayhew gotten prolong treatments already; sorry, I do not remember when the current prolong regime can start?

No, she hadn't. She was too young. 3rd Gen can be administered earlier than 2nd and a LOT earlier than 1st Gen, but there are problems because of the way it delays maturation in especially young children. Hormone and other support treatments are necessary to overcome those issues (especially in cognitive development), but they aren't a perfect substitute for the normal aging/maturation process. The need to develop them was, in fact, one of the critical steps in developing 3rd Gen prolong in the first places, but even by Honor's time, in some cases, hitting the proper artificially assisted balance is difficult. (I think Roger Winton mentioned this to Elizabeth in discussing her younger brother, Michael, but I don't think I've specifically dealt with it anywhere else.) As a result, while it CAN be administered as early as 12 for most kids (there are some variances) it is practically never administered before 16 or 17 years of age. Honor had the misfortune to be one of those people who hit their growth spurts and physical maturation late, not early, which is how she got stuck at a "gawky 16" stage for waaaaaay too long despite the fact that she was actually about 17 when she began the treatments.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Honorverse