Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 38 guests

UC Snippet #17

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: UC Snippet #17
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:28 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

tlb wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:How much you bet that Hypatia petitions to become a member of the SEM?

George J. Smith wrote:I think Hypatia will petition for political unification with Beowulf, and that will automatically include them in the SEM if Beowulf petitions for membership and becomes part of the SEM. If Beowulf and the SEM decide it would be best for Beowulf to be independent within the GA, at worst Hypatia will become a member of the GA.

tlb wrote:Or each could choose to be allied, the same as Grayson. There is no need to actually become part of the SEM.

George J. Smith wrote:I thought that was what I inferred in the 2nd sentence of my post.

No, in your first sentence you clearly said that Hypatia would unite with Beowulf. I stated that they might only be allied together and with the SEM.

You said Hypatia might petition to become a member of the SEM, I said they might petition to become united with Beowulf, and that would include Hypatia in the SEM if Beowulf became part of the SEM.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by tlb   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:39 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:How much you bet that Hypatia petitions to become a member of the SEM?

George J. Smith wrote:I think Hypatia will petition for political unification with Beowulf, and that will automatically include them in the SEM if Beowulf petitions for membership and becomes part of the SEM. If Beowulf and the SEM decide it would be best for Beowulf to be independent within the GA, at worst Hypatia will become a member of the GA.

tlb wrote:Or each could choose to be allied, the same as Grayson. There is no need to actually become part of the SEM.

George J. Smith wrote:I thought that was what I inferred in the 2nd sentence of my post.

tlb wrote:No, in your first sentence you clearly said that Hypatia would unite with Beowulf. I stated that they might only be allied together and with the SEM.

George J. Smith wrote:You said Hypatia might petition to become a member of the SEM, I said they might petition to become united with Beowulf, and that would include Hypatia in the SEM if Beowulf became part of the SEM.

Lets try to get the attribution of the quotes correct: I NEVER said that Hypatia would try to become a member of the SEM; TFLYTSNBN wrote that.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:01 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:the "Phantom" stacks an enormous number of missiles (about 4000) about 30 million kilometers from the SLN taskforce and they are fired off 370 or so at a time 20 seconds apart. The heavy cruisers control the ones that the "Phantom" can't. BTW, the ships have moved some distance from where the missiles are sitting, and left a few drones behind to pretend to be the ships launching the missiles.
BTW, I fear that this will be MAN doctrine when LenDets are using missile pods.

The problem is MDMs are very dumb and require more than a trivial amount of hand holding to be effective at long range without enormous volume. 20 seconds is a pretty trivial amount of time. And since we are not talking about 20,000 missile salvos...

? I waited a couple days to see if there was any other comments, but I find this one a bit odd. In my scenario, those missiles are getting just as much hand holding as the missiles in the actual text. Three hundred and seventy every 20 seconds was the firing sequence that was used. I will point out that the batches of counter missiles (which should be dumber than any dual drive missile) which the "Angrim" had left behind on its back trail were sitting there from some time before any were activated.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by stewart   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:55 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

George J. Smith wrote:

I think Hypatia will petition for political unification with Beowulf, and that will automatically include them in the SEM if Beowulf petitions for membership and becomes part of the SEM. If Beowulf and the SEM decide it would be best for Beowulf to be independent within the GA, at worst Hypatia will become a member of the GA.

Note -- Hypatia unifying (or allying) with Beowolf is in line with what we have been referring to the effects of the "Harrington Doctrine" -- breaking up the League into smaller, more easily managed groups (like the officially "not yet independent Maya Sector) and the now liberated Meyers Sector.

BTW, now there is a possible market for captured x-SLN Gladiator CA's and Nevada BC's as system defense force vessels for the independent sectors; later possible "export version MARS & Warlord-C's ....)

-- Stewart
Post by timmopussycat   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:59 pm

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

roseandheather wrote:You. Are. So. Unbelievably. Dead.

Dead dead dead. Dead like a Sphinxian chipmunk by the time a treecat's finished with it. Dead like Oscar Saint-Just after "Goodbye, Citizen Chairman." Dead like ALL THOSE CHARACTERS I LOVED THAT YOU DECIDED IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO KILL.

DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD! D-E-A-D DEAD!!

My sentiments exactly.
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:28 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

timmopussycat wrote:
roseandheather wrote:You. Are. So. Unbelievably. Dead.

Dead dead dead. Dead like a Sphinxian chipmunk by the time a treecat's finished with it. Dead like Oscar Saint-Just after "Goodbye, Citizen Chairman." Dead like ALL THOSE CHARACTERS I LOVED THAT YOU DECIDED IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO KILL.

DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD! D-E-A-D DEAD!!

My sentiments exactly.

....you wouldn't happen to be attending SphinxCon this year, would you? :twisted:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse