Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 97 guests

UC Snippet #17

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: UC Snippet #17
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:28 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:
so not just slightly dead then? - just to make sure that we got the right idea -

but as in 'your life will be short and your death long' type dead??

Well, it happens I've got this friend, Max. Maybe you've heard of him? Some folks call him "Mad Max," and he work miracles with this sort of . . . minor social problem. :lol:

FEAR MY WRATH GODDAMMIT
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:

Or, put another way,

It worked! It worked!!! :twisted:

It's been on order for months.

B&N assures me there is nothing they can do to get it here any sooner.

I'm not sure how this can be considered 'working.' Tormenting us, perhaps, but not working.

We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:43 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Kael Posavatz wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Or, put another way,

It worked! It worked!!! :twisted:

It's been on order for months.

B&N assures me there is nothing they can do to get it here any sooner.

I'm not sure how this can be considered 'working.' Tormenting us, perhaps, but not working.

We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.

To His Royal Gonna-Shove-A-Head-Of-Celery-Up-His-Ass-ness, they're the same damn thing.

Oh, I have so many plans for SphinxCon.... ::stalks off, grumbling::
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:51 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:
To His Royal Gonna-Shove-A-Head-Of-Celery-Up-His-Ass-ness, they're the same damn thing.

Oh, I have so many plans for SphinxCon.... ::stalks off, grumbling::

Interesting slate of entertainment at SphinxCon this year- may have to think about going... 8-)
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:06 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Y'all knew the focus on this particular SAR ship and this particular recovery had to be leading up to something big. Especially when the first bit had been an 'out of order' mini snippet all by itself!

A bit disappointed the Sollies finally turning tail and leaving gets done in a couple of retrospective sentences. Oh well, maybe it has saved some space so we can see the reaction when they report in back home. :twisted:

Cue despatch of the fastest available ship loaded with emergency medics.
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Forgive this kindergarten question, but obviously I was in error that escape pods are mostly launched on a vector towards the planet, and can somehow land once orbit is acquired? At least that was my takeaway when exiting the How To Abandon Ship?, thread.

Albeit, I just assumed the way the pods overcome a ships vector is because we (well, not me) decided that a launching ship's accel is negligible.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:41 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Forgive this kindergarten question, but obviously I was in error that escape pods are mostly launched on a vector towards the planet, and can somehow land once orbit is acquired? At least that was my takeaway when exiting the How To Abandon Ship?, thread.

Albeit, I just assumed the way the pods overcome a ships vector is because we (well, not me) decided that a launching ship's accel is negligible.

The snippet does say that over 66% of Solarian pods did land on the planet under their own power due to how close they were when launched.
I do expect that normally a damaged ship that is launching life pods will not be accelerating at the time. Why would it? But between the small power capacity of a pod and the velocity of damaged ship and the distance to a habitable landing spot, we cannot expect all pods to reach safety on their own. In that case, what is the best strategy: to stay close to the crippled ship making the search easier or to see how far they can get toward safety?
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:Forgive this kindergarten question, but obviously I was in error that escape pods are mostly launched on a vector towards the planet, and can somehow land once orbit is acquired? At least that was my takeaway when exiting the How To Abandon Ship?, thread.

The snippet does say that over 66% of Solarian pods did land on the planet under their own power due to how close they were when launched.
I do expect that normally a damaged ship that is launching life pods will not be accelerating at the time. Why would it? But between the small power capacity of a pod and the velocity of damaged ship and the distance to a habitable landing spot, we cannot expect all pods to reach safety on their own. In that case, what is the best strategy: to stay close to the crippled ship making the search easier or to see how far they can get toward safety?

While a ship being abandoned is unlikely to be under active acceleration, it's (velocity) vector with respect to the nearest habitable planet, supposing there is one in the system, may well be enormous and far too big for a lifepod to overcome, even if it is pointed in the right direction.

Best strategy for a lifepod will be very situational. Is the ship about to blow/still under attack? Is there a habitable planet in range? Has your side been creamed, or will they be able to come look for you once they finish off the struggling remnants of the other side? etc etc
Post by phillies   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:58 pm

phillies
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:You. Are. So. Unbelievably. Dead.

Dead dead dead. Dead like a Sphinxian chipmunk by the time a treecat's finished with it. Dead like Oscar Saint-Just after "Goodbye, Citizen Chairman." Dead like ALL THOSE CHARACTERS I LOVED THAT YOU DECIDED IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO KILL.

DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD! D-E-A-D DEAD!!

Dear RoseAndHeather,

Is it possible that you are just slightly annoyed about something?

Be happy,

George
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 pm

TFLYTSNBN

tlb wrote:

I wonder what will be done to the SLN survivors on those pods when the Hypatians capture them? Given the flagrant violations of the Erandandi Edict and the Deneb Accords, their deaths will no doubt be imaginative and spectacularly violent.

Return to Honorverse