Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S and 36 guests

I've Been Killed at Least Twice

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
I've Been Killed at Least Twice
Post by jcohan   » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:42 pm

jcohan
Midshipman

By and large, I've been happy having the unusual first name Judson. I got used to never meeting other people with that name either in real life (other than a second grade classmate) or in fiction.

Imagine my delight at finding no fewer than three Judsons in the Honorverse. Imagine my disappointment at their fates.

Judson Van Hale - killed by the Alignment
Judson Latrell - killed in the Battle of Manticore
Judson Hines - alive as of Ashes of Victory, no mention since

I met RFC at a convention just after War of Honor came out, but I'd forgotten about Mr. Hines' appearance at that moment. I chatted with him for a couple of minutes, but I can't imagine that I made enough of an impression to make him kill me twice in the next book.

Was it something I said?

Judson "I don't even own a red shirt" Cohan
Re: I've Been Killed at Least Twice
Post by Warpy   » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Warpy
Midshipman

Every good Sci-fi needs its Redshirts or Stormtroopers.

We need those background character who without fail will appear for one or two scenes before finding themselves shot up by some random thug, decapitated by a tactical console being blown apart, crushed by a tank, vaporize in the fury of a fusion explosion, as part of some sinister plot by a rogue and secretive power who ends being killed by someones bodygaurds, mauled by a particularly alert Tree-cat or shot by their intended target.

We also need the mindless grunts who despite having some of the best training in the known galaxy can't seem to figure out why exactly they keep getting blown apart, or becoming the victims of a faulty intelligence complex that is so assured of its superiority that it forgets that its eyes are sewn shut.
Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:32 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Warpy wrote:Every good Sci-fi needs its Redshirts or Stormtroopers.

We need those background character who without fail will appear for one or two scenes before finding themselves shot up by some random thug, decapitated by a tactical console being blown apart, crushed by a tank, vaporize in the fury of a fusion explosion, as part of some sinister plot by a rogue and secretive power who ends being killed by someones bodygaurds, mauled by a particularly alert Tree-cat or shot by their intended target.

We also need the mindless grunts who despite having some of the best training in the known galaxy can't seem to figure out why exactly they keep getting blown apart, or becoming the victims of a faulty intelligence complex that is so assured of its superiority that it forgets that its eyes are sewn shut.

We ought to instigate a "Redshirt Award" for the minor character RFC kills off the quickest! And to actually be a "minor character" rather than an "extra" or "walk-on" it'd have to be one that has his or her thoughts actually reported in the text.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:02 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

jcohan wrote:By and large, I've been happy having the unusual first name Judson. I got used to never meeting other people with that name either in real life (other than a second grade classmate) or in fiction.

Imagine my delight at finding no fewer than three Judsons in the Honorverse. Imagine my disappointment at their fates.

I met RFC at a convention just after War of Honor came out, but I'd forgotten about Mr. Hines' appearance at that moment. I chatted with him for a couple of minutes, but I can't imagine that I made enough of an impression to make him kill me twice in the next book.

Was it something I said?

Compared to Joe Buckley you're an amateur!
Post by Joat42   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Joat42
Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
jcohan wrote:By and large, I've been happy having the unusual first name Judson. I got used to never meeting other people with that name either in real life (other than a second grade classmate) or in fiction.

Was it something I said?

Compared to Joe Buckley you're an amateur!

Yeah, Death is kind of tired of the revolving door spinning madly because of Buckley.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Honorverse