Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

[SPOILERS]Should have brought a BC(P) or three to the party.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [SPOILERS]Should have brought a BC(P) or three to the pa
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:58 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

kzt wrote:My reason for expecting that Mk23s are harder to stop is that at all but SDM range they are moving a lot faster. And it has been noted that velocity matters to defenders.

If there are ridiculously more Mk16s on hand than Mk23s then it makes perfect sense to use them when a target doesn't absolutely need to be hit by a Mk23. This would be true for both the BC(P) and the SD(P), to conserve the rounds in short supply. So then logically you'd expect that SD(P)s facing SLN ships would employ Mk16s?

Realistically the only targets that really would need to be serviced with Mk23s are being operated by the people you are not fighting. But I understand can use mixed load and have the pod core ammo handling system move the desired pods around, so you could have some loaded 'just in case'.

Most all of this is true. And it's also true that velocity does matter for point defense, but mostly only because of the way it shortens engagement time because of how quickly the incoming crosses the engagement envelope. Both the Mk-16 and the Mk-23 come in ridiculously fast by Solarian standards, so both have presented serious challenges to interception predictions for SLN missile defense, as well. Between the two Manty missiles, however, it's mostly a matter of degree, not of kind. That is, both of them already give Solly missile defense fits because nothing should move that fast. As some passages in UC mention, the SLN's getting better in that respect, however, as the evidence that Manty missiles are that flipping fast is actually digested back home.

The real killer for penetrating the defenses, though, is in the EW and ECM support of the attacking missiles; that's where the Mk-16/Mk-23 playing field is essentially equal. And that is larghely because both of them are fusion powered, not capacitor powered, and so have preposterous power budgets by Solly standards. This means they can do things the Sollies believe have to be impossible simply because none of the Solly projections factor in the "size" of their power supply.

In a lot of ways, there isn't a Solly target that really requires the Mk-23 treatment at this point, although the Cataphracts mean that the Manties can't operate with the degree of impunity they might have against pure single-drive missiles. But the Mk-16 is still a far more effective weapon than Cataphract, both in terms of punch and in terms of flexibility, accuracy, and penaids. The Mk-23 is a more impressive weapon, however, and it can do to Solly SDs what the Mk-16 can do to Solly CAs and BCs, so there are definitely still roles in which it is required/at least desirable.

For some missions, the SD(P)s will, indeed, carry a mix of MK-16s and Mk-23s, especially any of them sent out on warp terminus denial missions. Grand Fleet, which is also tasked as the primary defensive force for the Manticore System has (post Raging Justice) a straight Mk-23 loadout for its SD(P)s and a straight Mk-16 loadoat for its CAs, BCs, and BC(P)s. The theory is that the "small fry" can probably handle anything that comes their way and the heavy hitters are available for really long range engagements and to deal with anything that seems to be giving their screening elements a tussle. The massive pod deployment that greeted Filaretta was largely for psy-war purposes, but also reflected the fact that the GA was still not quite able to believe its degree of superiority and no one was taking any chances when it came to defending the Manty capital and the Junction.

I'm not saying that the Mk-23 isn't a better, longer-ranged, heavier-hitting, smarter missile than the Mk-16. I'm saying that the degree of difference is not as great as some people seem to be assuming, especially in the operational and tactical environment the GA currently faces. And I'm also saying that for the foreseeable future, the Manties will continue to favor the Mk-16, possibly with the control missile upgrade I mentioned in another post, for its lighter combatants because they can pack so many more into a single platform. As long as the missile can handle any opponent their ships are likely to meet, it makes sense to use the one that gives them the greatest depth of magazines for a lot of reasons.

The situation is (roughly) analogous to the one the British Navy faced when it shot itself in the foot with the cruiser limitations it got written into the Naval disarmament treaties. They got tonnage limited to 10,000 tons and maximum battery limited to 8" in no small part to avoid scrapping a class of 7.9"-armed cruisers they'd just commissioned. Unfortunately for them, their primary competitors --- the USN and IJN --- promptly went to the upper bracket for tonnage and armament because they were interested in primarily fighting units. The Brits really needed smaller, lighter ships as cruising units, and the 6" or the DP 5.25" would have been a far better main gun for the ships that actually suited their operational needs. If they'd been willing to give up their shiny new cruiser class in the 1920s, there might not have been any modern 8" cruisers in WWII at all.

Absent any artificial, treaty-mandated limitations, the Manties are going to opt for ships that aren't the maximum possible set-piece battle combat platforms they can build because they don't need to build max-capability units to deal with anything they're likely to meet and they do need larger numbers of adequately capable platforms.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:21 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Absent any artificial, treaty-mandated limitations, the Manties are going to opt for ships that aren't the maximum possible set-piece battle combat platforms they can build because they don't need to build max-capability units to deal with anything they're likely to meet and they do need larger numbers of adequately capable platforms.

I'm flabbergasted at the number of people who are arguing that a 14 lb sledgehammer is better than a 10 lb sledgehammer is better for making omelets. :roll:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by kzt   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:20 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

If you hit them just right, as long as you use a big enough hammer...
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:42 am

TFLYTSNBN

The argument over arming BC(P)s with Mk16 vs Mk23 is analogous to the potentially variable armament of the Scharnhorst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_ba ... charnhorst

In the end Germany decided o not upgun these ships.

One advantage of Mk16 over Mk23 is dealing with hoardes of LACs or shoals of missile pods. Gunning for larger numbers of softer targets requires more bullets even if they are smaller bullets.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:09 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The argument over arming BC(P)s with Mk16 vs Mk23 is analogous to the potentially variable armament of the Scharnhorst.

One advantage of Mk16 over Mk23 is dealing with hoardes of LACs or shoals of missile pods. Gunning for larger numbers of softer targets requires more bullets even if they are smaller bullets.

Sorta the same thing with the IJN's heavy cruisers, but in reverse. The Mogami class were originally armed with 15 6.1" guns in 5 triple turrets (so they could be technically classified as "light" cruisers under the London Treaty), but sometime after the war began but before Pearl Harbor (I disremember the exact year) the IJN replaced the 6.1" triples with 7.9" doubles, reducing her from fifteen 6.1" to ten 7.9". The theory was that the 7.9" had better penetration and slightly greater range and would inflict more damage on a single hit. (Rather like the Mark 23 compared to the Mark 16, in some ways.) The problem was that the 7.9" had a maximum rate of fire of about three rounds per minute at moderate ranges and only two at long range (they had a fixed loading angle which slowed rate of fire at greater elevations), whereas the 6.1" gun fired 5-6 rounds per minute. The 6.1" was originally developed as a dual-purpose weapon to engage both surface targets and aircraft, which meant they were designed for loading at any elevation rather than a fixed elevation, so range to target (and thus elevation) didn't affect their rate of fire. (I think they could theoretically have fired even faster than that if the ammo could have been supplied to the turrets quickly enough, but even so they were considered to slow firing to be useful in the antiaircraft role. Compared to the 5"/38's 15 RPM — and I think as high as 20, for the mounts with integral shell hoists — it was on the slow side for an AA gun, but it was pretty darned good against surface targets.) The 7.9" shell weighed about twice what the 6.1" shell weighed, so in a given one minute window, the original 6.1" armament could put 90 shells into the air while the refitted 7.9" could fire 30 at its optimum loading elevation and 20 at extended range. I think the shell weights were on the order of 130 pounds for the 6.1" and 270 pounds for the 7.9", so that translates to a three-to-one advantage in potential hits for the 6.1" even at the 7.9" optimal loading elevation, and a total weight of metal for a 1-minute firing window of 11,700 pounds for the 6.1" versus 8,100 pounds for the 7.9" at optimum loading elevation and 5,400 pounds at extended range. (I'm probably off on my memory of the actual shell weights, although I don't think I'm off by very much. Even numbers are always really suspicious when converting kilograms to pounds! :geek: :lol: )

At the engagement ranges which actually applied, the 7.9" probably would have been firing at its 3 RPM rate, so the total weight of metal would be only 1.4-to-1 in favor of the 6.1", but the 6.1" shell would have been more than adequate to deal with cruiser-range opponents (especially at shorter ranges) and the "smothering" effect of that many shells landing that rapidly would have been far greater. That was certainly the experience of the USN with the 6"/47 on the Brooklyn and Cleveland-class CLs with a theoretical rate of fire of around 8-10 rounds per minute. Clearly, the American gun's rate of fire was superior even to that of the 6.1", so the comparison may be a little suspect, but the USN's experience was that the 6"/47's higher rate of fire made it decisively superior to the 8"/55's 3-4 RPM rate of fire at actual surface engagement ranges. (This is the real reason the USN poured so much effort into the Mark 16 8"/55 for the DesMoines-class CAs; it wanted the best of both worlds — the 8" range, shell weight, and penetration and the 6" rate of fire — and it pretty much got it, with a 10 RPM rate of fire and what was inarguably the most effective 8" gun ever sent to sea.)

It's always seemed to me that the IJN probably would've done better to retain the original 6.1" armament for the Mogamis.

Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:56 pm

TFLYTSNBN

The Japanese needed the smaller gun turrets from their cruisers as secondary armament for their battleships.

runsforcelery wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:The argument over arming BC(P)s with Mk16 vs Mk23 is analogous to the potentially variable armament of the Scharnhorst.

Sorta the same thing with the IJN's heavy cruisers, but in reverse. The Mogami class were originally armed with 15 6.1" guns in 5 triple turrets (so they could be technically classified as "light" cruisers under the London Treaty), but sometime after the war began but before Pearl Harbor (I disremember the exact year) the IJN replaced the 6.1" triples with 7.9" doubles, reducing her from fifteen 6.1" to ten 7.9". The theory was that the 7.9" had better penetration and slightly greater range and would inflict more damage on a single hit. (Rather like the Mark 23 compared to the Mark 16, in some ways.) The problem was that the 7.9" had a maximum rate of fire of about three rounds per minute at moderate ranges and only two at long range (they had a fixed loading angle which slowed rate of fire at greater elevations), whereas the 6.1" gun fired 5-6 rounds per minute. The 6.1" was originally developed as a dual-purpose weapon to engage both surface targets and aircraft, which meant they were designed for loading at any elevation rather than a fixed elevation, so range to target (and thus elevation) didn't affect their rate of fire. (I think they could theoretically have fired even faster than that if the ammo could have been supplied to the turrets quickly enough, but even so they were considered to slow firing to be useful in the antiaircraft role. Compared to the 5"/38's 15 RPM — and I think as high as 20, for the mounts with integral shell hoists — it was on the slow side for an AA gun, but it was pretty darned good against surface targets.) The 7.9" shell weighed about twice what the 6.1" shell weighed, so in a given one minute window, the original 6.1" armament could put 90 shells into the air while the refitted 7.9" could fire 30 at its optimum loading elevation and 20 at extended range. I think the shell weights were on the order of 130 pounds for the 6.1" and 270 pounds for the 7.9", so that translates to a three-to-one advantage in potential hits for the 6.1" even at the 7.9" optimal loading elevation, and a total weight of metal for a 1-minute firing window of 11,700 pounds for the 6.1" versus 8,100 pounds for the 7.9" at optimum loading elevation and 5,400 pounds at extended range. (I'm probably off on my memory of the actual shell weights, although I don't think I'm off by very much. Even numbers are always really suspicious when converting kilograms to pounds! :geek: :lol: )

At the engagement ranges which actually applied, the 7.9" probably would have been firing at its 3 RPM rate, so the total weight of metal would be only 1.4-to-1 in favor of the 6.1", but the 6.1" shell would have been more than adequate to deal with cruiser-range opponents (especially at shorter ranges) and the "smothering" effect of that many shells landing that rapidly would have been far greater. That was certainly the experience of the USN with the 6"/47 on the Brooklyn and Cleveland-class CLs with a theoretical rate of fire of around 8-10 rounds per minute. Clearly, the American gun's rate of fire was superior even to that of the 6.1", so the comparison may be a little suspect, but the USN's experience was that the 6"/47's higher rate of fire made it decisively superior to the 8"/55's 3-4 RPM rate of fire at actual surface engagement ranges. (This is the real reason the USN poured so much effort into the Mark 16 8"/55 for the DesMoines-class CAs; it wanted the best of both worlds — the 8" range, shell weight, and penetration and the 6" rate of fire — and it pretty much got it, with a 10 RPM rate of fire and what was inarguably the most effective 8" gun ever sent to sea.)

It's always seemed to me that the IJN probably would've done better to retain the original 6.1" armament for the Mogamis.
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:53 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

TFLYTSNBN wrote:The Japanese needed the smaller gun turrets from their cruisers as secondary armament for their battleships.

runsforcelery wrote:Sorta the same thing with the IJN's heavy cruisers, but in reverse. The Mogami class were originally armed with 15 6.1" guns in 5 triple turrets (so they could be technically classified as "light" cruisers under the London Treaty), but sometime after the war began but before Pearl Harbor (I disremember the exact year) the IJN replaced the 6.1" triples with 7.9" doubles, reducing her from fifteen 6.1" to ten 7.9". The theory was that the 7.9" had better penetration and slightly greater range and would inflict more damage on a single hit. (Rather like the Mark 23 compared to the Mark 16, in some ways.) The problem was that the 7.9" had a maximum rate of fire of about three rounds per minute at moderate ranges and only two at long range (they had a fixed loading angle which slowed rate of fire at greater elevations), whereas the 6.1" gun fired 5-6 rounds per minute. The 6.1" was originally developed as a dual-purpose weapon to engage both surface targets and aircraft, which meant they were designed for loading at any elevation rather than a fixed elevation, so range to target (and thus elevation) didn't affect their rate of fire. (I think they could theoretically have fired even faster than that if the ammo could have been supplied to the turrets quickly enough, but even so they were considered to slow firing to be useful in the antiaircraft role. Compared to the 5"/38's 15 RPM — and I think as high as 20, for the mounts with integral shell hoists — it was on the slow side for an AA gun, but it was pretty darned good against surface targets.) The 7.9" shell weighed about twice what the 6.1" shell weighed, so in a given one minute window, the original 6.1" armament could put 90 shells into the air while the refitted 7.9" could fire 30 at its optimum loading elevation and 20 at extended range. I think the shell weights were on the order of 130 pounds for the 6.1" and 270 pounds for the 7.9", so that translates to a three-to-one advantage in potential hits for the 6.1" even at the 7.9" optimal loading elevation, and a total weight of metal for a 1-minute firing window of 11,700 pounds for the 6.1" versus 8,100 pounds for the 7.9" at optimum loading elevation and 5,400 pounds at extended range. (I'm probably off on my memory of the actual shell weights, although I don't think I'm off by very much. Even numbers are always really suspicious when converting kilograms to pounds! :geek: :lol: )

Nah. They decided to use the redundant turrets only after they'd decided to upgun the Mogamis, which had always been in the cards. The original 6.1"-gunned ships were basically a way to sneak future heavy cruisers in under the radar in the guise of really big light cruisers, but they were designed with turret rings which would fit the brand new 7.9" twin turrets, as well, expressly so the guns could be switched out.

The Navy had withdrawn from the London Treaty and decided to very quietly upgun the CAs while the Yamato design was being finalized. When they realized they were going to have all those perfectly useful 6.1" guns lying around, they decided to put them on the Yamatos instead of the extra 127-mm AA guns they displaced. The theory was the the 6.1" would be much more effective against light surface ships (like attacking DDs), which was probably true but reflected the fact that not even the navy which planned the Pearl Harbor attack had conceptualized the true power of carrier aircraft before the war. The 127-mm would have been a much poorer performer against DDs charging into attack range, but it was actually a pretty darn good air defense weapon. In fact, it was probably just as good as the 5"/38, the best heavy AA gun of the Pacific War . . . except that the 5"/38 had proximity shells and the Japanese weapon didn't.

At any rate, the decision to use the 6.1" in the Yamato resulted from the fact that they had become available; they were not removed and swapped out for the 7.9" because the BB's needed them to become available.

Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Oh, what a tangled web we weave...
Post by tachnyrus   » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:24 pm

tachnyrus
Lieutenant Commander

With all this talk about Mk-16s being sufficient to kill anything SD or below, does this also hold true for Terekhov's squadron at Monica?

The impression I got reading it was that the Mk-16s were not enormously more powerful than the older Mk-13s on Reliant and Star Knight were:

"... an entire cluster of them got through and it was Hurrican's turn to twitch in agony as the X-ray needles stabbed into her. They seemed to be all over her, ripping at her like demons, yet unlike Typhoon, she shook the hits off without any apparent effect, and Horster grinned like a punch-drunk fighter. That was what it meant to be a battlecruiser fighting heavy cruisers!"

From Storm from the Shadows, when Helen was thinking about the Mk-16G:

"With its fifteen megaton warhead, the Mark 16 had been capable of dealing with heavy cruiser or battlecruiser armor, although punching through to the interior of a battlecruiser had pushed it almost to the limit"

And talking about tactics against BCs:

"... and because our laser heads were so much lighter, we knew we were going to have to concentrate a lot of hits, both in terms of location and time, if we were going to get through their armor."

Granted, that was a damaged Sag-C against three Indefatigables, but it seemed to be a much tougher fight than later Mk-16-armed ships would have against the Nevadas.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:30 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

tachnyrus wrote:With all this talk about Mk-16s being sufficient to kill anything SD or below, does this also hold true for Terekhov's squadron at Monica?

The impression I got reading it was that the Mk-16s were not enormously more powerful than the older Mk-13s on Reliant and Star Knight were:

"... an entire cluster of them got through and it was Hurrican's turn to twitch in agony as the X-ray needles stabbed into her. They seemed to be all over her, ripping at her like demons, yet unlike Typhoon, she shook the hits off without any apparent effect, and Horster grinned like a punch-drunk fighter. That was what it meant to be a battlecruiser fighting heavy cruisers!"

From Storm from the Shadows, when Helen was thinking about the Mk-16G:

"With its fifteen megaton warhead, the Mark 16 had been capable of dealing with heavy cruiser or battlecruiser armor, although punching through to the interior of a battlecruiser had pushed it almost to the limit"

And talking about tactics against BCs:

"... and because our laser heads were so much lighter, we knew we were going to have to concentrate a lot of hits, both in terms of location and time, if we were going to get through their armor."

Granted, that was a damaged Sag-C against three Indefatigables, but it seemed to be a much tougher fight than later Mk-16-armed ships would have against the Nevadas.

That was because at Monica, the "Hexapuma" was using an older version of the Mk-16 missile. In the later battles, the RMN warships (at least those who had Mk-16 missiles) were using the G variant which came with a substantially more powerful warhead and thus did much more damage. In fact, the scene in _Storm from the Shadows_ that you quoted goes in to some detail on what the difference the Mk-16G would had made at Monica.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)

Return to Honorverse