Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 44 guests

Call to Vengeance questions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Call to Vengeance questions
Post by fozzie78   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:39 pm

fozzie78
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

So, I just finished reading A Call to Vengeance. I absolutely loved the story, and am very pleased that there will be a book four. That being said, I felt like there were some issues with the book that really bothered me.

The first was in Chapter Seven when Winterfall thought Breakwater was extremely upset about a non-MPARS person ordering two MPARS corvettes' wedges to be inflated to look like heavy cruisers. The problem is that it never happened. In chapter five, the two MPARS corvettes go out as part of Aegis force and are seen as corvettes. They never inflated their wedges. That's a pretty big plot issue that's just plain wrong. That being said, I think having the corvettes as part of Aegis force didn't make sense. They should have had the same restrictions to getting their wedges up as Damocles and the rest of the Reserve force, so they probably SHOULD have been with the reserve force and could have had their wedges inflated. That's just not what was shown in chapter five.

The second involves Commodore Gustave Charnay of Haven. In chapter 28 he identifies himself as the XO of Saintoge during the Secour incident, the problem is that the way I read chapter 25 of Call to Duty, Charnay was killed. When Metzger asked to speak to Charnay, Vachali, the pirate, is said to have
"...resisted the aweful temptation to point her at the body lying at the rear of the bridge."
To me, at least, that implied that he was killed.

My third complaint was Admiral Eigen's thought describing HMS Phoenix as a corvette in chapter four. Not only is Phoenix always referred to as a destroyer in A Call to Arms, it is also mentioned being a destroyer at the end of Chapter three in A Call to Vengeance. This just seems like a silly error. Every officer in the RMN would know that Phoenix is a destroyer, and for it to be referenced as a corvette just seems silly.

I guess my problem is just the overall editing of the book. Silly things like having Damocles called RMS instead HMS or Andermani Captain Kane being called Riefenstahl instead of Zhou in Chapter 31. I would think that for a book series as popular as this, the editing would be far better. The stories are so fantastic, it just kills me to have to read a book with editorial issues like this. It really disrupted my enjoyment of the book.
Re: Call to Vengeance questions
Post by Louis R   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:14 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Which version were you reading?

fozzie78 wrote:So, I just finished reading A Call to Vengeance. I absolutely loved the story, and am very pleased that there will be a book four. That being said, I felt like there were some issues with the book that really bothered me.

The first was in Chapter Seven when Winterfall thought Breakwater was extremely upset about a non-MPARS person ordering two MPARS corvettes' wedges to be inflated to look like heavy cruisers. The problem is that it never happened. In chapter five, the two MPARS corvettes go out as part of Aegis force and are seen as corvettes. They never inflated their wedges. That's a pretty big plot issue that's just plain wrong. That being said, I think having the corvettes as part of Aegis force didn't make sense. They should have had the same restrictions to getting their wedges up as Damocles and the rest of the Reserve force, so they probably SHOULD have been with the reserve force and could have had their wedges inflated. That's just not what was shown in chapter five.

The second involves Commodore Gustave Charnay of Haven. In chapter 28 he identifies himself as the XO of Saintoge during the Secour incident, the problem is that the way I read chapter 25 of Call to Duty, Charnay was killed. When Metzger asked to speak to Charnay, Vachali, the pirate, is said to have
"...resisted the aweful temptation to point her at the body lying at the rear of the bridge."
To me, at least, that implied that he was killed.

My third complaint was Admiral Eigen's thought describing HMS Phoenix as a corvette in chapter four. Not only is Phoenix always referred to as a destroyer in A Call to Arms, it is also mentioned being a destroyer at the end of Chapter three in A Call to Vengeance. This just seems like a silly error. Every officer in the RMN would know that Phoenix is a destroyer, and for it to be referenced as a corvette just seems silly.

I guess my problem is just the overall editing of the book. Silly things like having Damocles called RMS instead HMS or Andermani Captain Kane being called Riefenstahl instead of Zhou in Chapter 31. I would think that for a book series as popular as this, the editing would be far better. The stories are so fantastic, it just kills me to have to read a book with editorial issues like this. It really disrupted my enjoyment of the book.
Re: Call to Vengeance questions
Post by fozzie78   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:47 pm

fozzie78
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Hard Cover

Return to Honorverse