Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests

Prolong Fertility

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Prolong Fertility
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:24 am

TFLYTSNBN

Your point is conceded. I have had to take my daughter to the ER for severe abdominal pain that turned out to not be appendicitis but was somewhat serious.

I still think that scene with Protector Benjamin cowering in a tavern with Grayson's greatest male heros because their wives are suffeering from menstral related belligerance is hillarious.

roseandheather wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:

It's us men who have to endure the mood swings.
If you're a Grayson with multiple wives, then you have three or four women with their cycles synchronized.

This is why you can find Protector Benjamin and Admiral Yanakov cowering, I mean relaxing, together at the local tavern a few nights a month.

I'll be sure to feel sorry for the men next time I wind up in hospital because I can't actually be sure that the searing pain in my abdomen isn't appendicitis instead of just menstrual cramps.
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:38 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It is hilarious, FLY. Wanna hear something else hilarious? One of my friends said the many holes in the door to Protector's Palace isn't exactly from the exciting drama of the many historical sieges as it is recorded, but from the drama of the many hysterical sieges from the many oh so angry wives on red dollar days.

Rose, there is a bright side. Consider this, you could be a Sphinxian whose cycle coincides with a 38 or 39 day period. Lending at least 2-3 more days on average of suffering, and always hungry to boot. There is no right week for it, but Pavel Young really picked the wrong week to get jiggy wit it.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Your point is conceded. I have had to take my daughter to the ER for severe abdominal pain that turned out to not be appendicitis but was somewhat serious.

I still think that scene with Protector Benjamin cowering in a tavern with Grayson's greatest male heros because their wives are suffeering from menstral related belligerance is hillarious.
roseandheather wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:

It's us men who have to endure the mood swings.
If you're a Grayson with multiple wives, then you have three or four women with their cycles synchronized.

This is why you can find Protector Benjamin and Admiral Yanakov cowering, I mean relaxing, together at the local tavern a few nights a month.

I'll be sure to feel sorry for the men next time I wind up in hospital because I can't actually be sure that the searing pain in my abdomen isn't appendicitis instead of just menstrual cramps.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:16 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

roseandheather wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

And that's with medications which temporarily knock back some of the aspects of prolong. Another little problem that doesn't get mentioned a lot is the reason they have "quick heal" in what you might think of as "first-world" star systems; without it, recovering from wounds or broken bones with orolong would take a long time. Societies which don't have quick heal usually don't have prolong, either, so its absence someplace like Cherubim isn't usually the problem it would be somewhere like Sphinx.

....REALLY, RFC? You can wave a magic biological wand to extend the human lifespan (and fertility) by 300%, but we women still have to put up with hormone swings and inconvenient bleeding every single month??

NEVER has it been more obvious that this series was written by a man. :lol:

I would point out in my defense that:

(1) that was Grayson medicine, which is still making up ground, which includes dealing with those sorts of issues (ever seen Honor complaining about it? Of course you haven't, because most societies with prolong are 50% or so female and damned well demanded that "something must ne done about this!");

(2) the intention of the scene was to stress some of the, um . . . unanticipated difficulties the poor, harried Grayson chauvinist ship's surgeons (reformed, in many cases, but still chauvinism-born and bred) were forced to confront when they found themselves dealing with women aboard ship; and

(3) was written by a woman, not me. :P

Just sayin, Rose :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by saber964   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:55 pm

saber964
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
roseandheather [quote="runsforcelery wrote:

And that's with medications which temporarily knock back some of the aspects of prolong. Another little problem that doesn't get mentioned a lot is the reason they have "quick heal" in what you might think of as "first-world" star systems; without it, recovering from wounds or broken bones with orolong would take a long time. Societies which don't have quick heal usually don't have prolong, either, so its absence someplace like Cherubim isn't usually the problem it would be somewhere like Sphinx.

....REALLY, RFC? You can wave a magic biological wand to extend the human lifespan (and fertility) by 300%, but we women still have to put up with hormone swings and inconvenient bleeding every single month??

NEVER has it been more obvious that this series was written by a man. :lol:

(1) that was Grayson medicine, which is still making up ground, which includes dealing with those sorts of issues (ever seen Honor complaining about it? Of course you haven't, because most societies with prolong are 50% or so female and damned well demanded that "something must ne done about this!");

(2) the intention of the scene was to stress some of the, um . . . unanticipated difficulties the poor, harried Grayson chauvinist ship's surgeons (reformed, in many cases, but still chauvinism-born and bred) were forced to confront when they found themselves dealing with women aboard ship; and

Just sayin, Rose :lol:[/quote]

IIRC the novella Obligated Service has a scene or two that deal with that time of the month. Also the length of a month has no bearing on the cycle, women are known to have there periods every 25 to 29 days. Other women especially gymnasts are known to have their periods become infrequent (every 2-3 months) or stop entirely.
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:23 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:Other women especially gymnasts are known to have their periods become infrequent (every 2-3 months) or stop entirely.

IIRC that is a sign that they are over-training. It's not a good thing.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:36 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

Just had to go and ruin a perfectly lovely tantrum with your "logic" and your "facts", didn't you, Your Celeryness?? :evil:

:lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Daryl   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

When with our Army Aviation we comissioned a report on whether women would be suitable as attack helicopter pilots. It came back neutral with pluses and minuses, but did address the cycle in the conclusion "If you were facing an enemy pilot in battle, would you prefer she had PMS or not?"
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:13 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

roseandheather wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Just had to go and ruin a perfectly lovely tantrum with your "logic" and your "facts", didn't you, Your Celeryness?? :evil:

:lol:

It's what I do <he said modestly>. :P :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:22 am

roseandheather
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

Remember that one scene in MoH where Eloise would really very deeply like to kick Tom Theisman in the kneecap?

I don't think I've ever empathized with her more deeply than I do right now, but Theisman is very much not my intended target.... :twisted:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Remember that one scene in MoH where Eloise would really very deeply like to kick Tom Theisman in the kneecap?

I don't think I've ever empathized with her more deeply than I do right now, but Theisman is very much not my intended target.... :twisted:

Um, Rose. Is it because he deserves it, or is it because of this fitful and frightful week near the end of the month?

"Ouch! Okay okay. Back to my cage."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse