Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Battle of Trevor's Star

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Battle of Trevor's Star
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am

TFLYTSNBN

Dauntless wrote:FOD = Field of Dishonour book 4 in the series

Should have known that one.
Not my favorite book in the series. To much soap opera.
Best scene is Ramirez saying, "I said I wouldnt kill you. I didnt say I wouldnt hurt you."
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:51 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I often skip it as well when doing my rereads of the series.
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:Thanks Vince. Internal politics = foreign policy?

I've been meaning to read it, honest. I think I mentioned that one book store I frequent didn't have it at all and the other outlet only had three copies, all which were previously placed on hold. I didn't want to order until I checked with my posse in Ro to see if they wanted copies in light of the updated info that it is more than technical specs. Now it simply keeps slipping my mind when I go to the book store. I need to do so in-store to ensure the credit will go to a particular salesperson of my choosing who has been handling orders for me for some time now. I've made another mental note, but mental notes aren't as reliable as they once were. At my rate, I'll end up ordering it the day of UC's release.

Vince wrote:More like internal politics affecting foreign policy--the need for the Star Kingdom's coalition government to maintain a majority in Parliament, especially the Lords, required concessions to the minor parties of the coalition by the Centrists regarding foreign policy.

Yes, that does make more sense. I didn't take into account the rat at the wheel. It's just hard to wrap my head around the stink stirred up by the Janasick Admiralty.

I oftentimes find myself wondering how King Roger would have handled a High Ridge or a Janacek.

Don't think I'm selling Beth short, it's just that King Roger gives me a vibe of tolerating no nonsense atall. A Protector Benjamin in Manticoran garb.

runsforcelery wrote:Not just trying to sell more copies of the book here, but people who haven't read the novella in House of Steel don't really understand Beth's backstory any more than people who have read OBS and HOTQ but not SVW and FOD really understand Honor's backstory with Pavel Young. As I've said before, this was a story that I really needed to tell and just never found a good hook to hang it upon.

And you can't fully understand how the RMN came to survive, far less win, against the PRH without both her full backstory and --- especially! --- her dad's.

But you wouldn't mind terribly if selling more books was a side-effect? Done!

For the record, I am certain I got it in my head from somewhere that the Companion was simply an encyclopedia of ship specs, missile yields and all-that-there to appease the geeks and dweebs and to keep the cogs and sprockets working properly.

Where did I get that notion from and are those specs indeed contained within it as well? And why does the offering not seem to be shelved along with the other books? Or is it simply that popular?

Essentially, I thought the Honorverse Companion was on the same order as the Star Trek Technical manual. Which I have acquired as well, unopened.

I think the Companion is marketed poorly.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:FOD = ?

My take is that Queen Beth is every bit as tough and smart as King Roger. She sufferred a temporary disability by ascendijg as a teenager and potentially being saddled with a corrupt regent. One conversation with honor in AoV about Prolong prolonging her akward adolescene encourages me to visualize Queen Elizebeth as a young Pam Grier, so she is my favorite Manticoran monarch.

A Pam Grier! Okay then, now I really really want the Companion!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by dlewis0160   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 pm

dlewis0160
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

My take is that Queen Beth is every bit as tough and smart as King Roger. She sufferred a temporary disability by ascendijg as a teenager and potentially being saddled with a corrupt regent. One conversation with honor in AoV about Prolong prolonging her akward adolescene encourages me to visualize Queen Elizebeth as a young Pam Grier, so she is my favorite Manticoran monarch.

Shame on you!!! I just lost 1 hour looking up young Pam Grier pictures :o :lol:
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

dlewis0160 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the comparison isn't rooted in appearance, but in character. Pam Grier is a classic badass of her world of Pimps, thugs and miscreants. In an era of very few female heroines. And even fewer black ones. Beth stands in good stead.

Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:36 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:
cthia wrote:
(RAW snipped out much text, concerning King Roger III's naval buildup)

Yes, that does make more sense. I didn't take into account the rat at the wheel. It's just hard to wrap my head around the stink stirred up by the Janasick Admiralty.

I oftentimes find myself wondering how King Roger would have handled a High Ridge or a Janacek.

Don't think I'm selling Beth short, it's just that King Roger gives me a vibe of tolerating no nonsense atall. A Protector Benjamin in Manticoran garb.

Not just trying to sell more copies of the book here, but people who haven't read the novella in House of Steel don't really understand Beth's backstory any more than people who have read OBS and HOTQ but not SVW and FOD really understand Honor's backstory with Pavel Young. As I've said before, this was a story that I really needed to tell and just never found a good hook to hang it upon.

And you can't fully understand how the RMN came to survive, far less win, against the PRH without both her full backstory and --- especially! --- her dad's.

It occurred to me while reading _HoS_, that the High Ridge government was mostly the heirs of the idiots that Roger III had to work around to build the navy that won the war and now the next generation of idiots threw away the victory. If Elizabeth's temper was as bad as people claimed, she would had hosed a cabinet meeting with pulsar fire before the start of _War of Honor_.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
cthia wrote:
(RAW snipped out much text, concerning King Roger III's naval buildup)

Not just trying to sell more copies of the book here, but people who haven't read the novella in House of Steel don't really understand Beth's backstory any more than people who have read OBS and HOTQ but not SVW and FOD really understand Honor's backstory with Pavel Young. As I've said before, this was a story that I really needed to tell and just never found a good hook to hang it upon.

Robert _A_ Woodward wrote:It occurred to me while reading _HoS_, that the High Ridge government was mostly the heirs of the idiots that Roger III had to work around to build the navy that won the war and now the next generation of idiots threw away the victory. If Elizabeth's temper was as bad as people claimed, she would had hosed a cabinet meeting with pulsar fire before the start of _War of Honor_.

:lol:

At one point in the series I was half-assed expecting her to do just that! At the very least set Ariel loose!

Setting Ariel loose certainly would have given a new meaning to "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

I still can't seem to fully shake the image of a seething Ariel intoxicated by Beth's legendary temper and foaming at the mouth begging to set sail into some toupees.

Do forgive the sentiment, but I did mention a former teacher recognizing my ability to wear the shoes and become the character? Well, I felt Beth's anger, and I'm telling you, it wasn't pretty.

Post by Dauntless   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:57 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
But you wouldn't mind terribly if selling more books was a side-effect? Done!

For the record, I am certain I got it in my head from somewhere that the Companion was simply an encyclopedia of ship specs, missile yields and all-that-there to appease the geeks and dweebs and to keep the cogs and sprockets working properly.

Where did I get that notion from and are those specs indeed contained within it as well? And why does the offering not seem to be shelved along with the other books? Or is it simply that popular?

Essentially, I thought the Honorverse Companion was on the same order as the Star Trek Technical manual. Which I have acquired as well, unopened.

I think the Companion is marketed poorly.

a lot of the book is made up of ships stats, but there is also a lot of interesting background info on the main planets and how things like the RMN and Royal Marines are made up.

also the ships stats each come with a half page info dump on the ship, sometimes the politics of getting it built or the differences in ability compared to earlier classes.

vital to the story? no but still very intresting.

if you aren't sure the novella at the front alone is enough to justify buying then see if a local library has or will get a copy that you can look through before you buy, though the novella is roughly a third of the book.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:07 am

TFLYTSNBN

That hour was not wasted, was it?

dlewis0160 wrote:

Return to Honorverse